Willoughby/o`brien

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Trainer Aidan O`Brien has already said that Henry is better than his celebrated milers Rock of Gibralter, Giant`s Causeway and Hawk Wing. He is definitely right in Hawk Wing`s case, but there is some way to go before he deserves higher regard than the other two - winners of 13 Group 1`s between them

Should someone who clearly has no idea how to read a form book be writing such a flagship column in the only Racing daily?

Hawk Wing`s awesome performance in the Lockinge a fair few pounds in excess of anything GC and RoG managed to achieve, the Iron Horse was also better over 10f. It`s this idiotic rationale that would have one think Best Mate was better than Kauto Star and Denman. Get a feckin grip James.

He (along with others) never liked Hawk Wing. In fact at the time he used to always have a swipe at O'Brien. It's only since a visit last year to Ballydoyle that he has been complimentry to AOB.

In addition (and I agree btw), AOB is talking out his rear end if he's even comparing HTN with Rock of Gibraltar, Giant's Causeway and Hawk Wing, never mind George.

I understand promoting a future stallion, but what type of person is taken in by this hyperbole?

From the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rac...icle4138621.ece

“Before he won the Irish 2,000 Guineas, Johnny was saying to me, ‘This fellow won’t come off the bridle in the Irish Guineas’. I said, ‘Johnny, it’s very hard to say that’. He said he didn’t care, ‘If they go slow, he will outsprint them; if they go fast, he’ll outstay them’.

“It’s very hard to be that confident and I was a bit wary. It’s Johnny’s first year here and you didn’t know if maybe Johnny wasn’t seeing the full picture. But Johnny was right. I don’t think people realise how easy he won at The Curragh. Over a mile, he’s the best we have had.”

What about Rock Of Gibraltar, winner of seven consecutive Group Ones, and Giant’s Causeway, the iron horse himself? “I know,” says O’Brien, “but this fellow is quicker than they were and I don’t think the move up to 10 furlongs would bother Henry in the slightest. He can go to sleep in his races, wake up when he needs to and produce that killer kick, which makes it difficult for any other horse. If we keep doing a proper job with him, he will show himself to be an exceptional horse.”

AO'B's judgment well justified in the event.
You have to be happy for him after the heavy blows of George and HRE

Back