Winston replaces Spencer!

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Story from the Racing Post site :

Winston to replace Spencer
on Spacious

spacious_510.jpg
Spacious (right): Jamie Spencer has ridden the filly on her four previous starts

Tony Elves

JAMIE SPENCER will be replaced by Robert Winston aboard Spacious when the 1,000 Guineas runner-up returns to action next month raising questions of a rift between owners Cheveley Park Stud and the champion jockey.

Spencer is Spacious's trainer James Fanshawe's main jockey and there have been suggestions that Cheveley Park's owners David and Patricia Thompson are unhappy with the rider, who earlier in the season lost the mount on the Luca Cumani-trained Curtain Call.

Spacious had been partnered by Spencer on her four previous starts but Winston rode Spacious in her work on the Limekilns on Wednesday morning in company with the Spencer-ridden Secret Dancer and one other.

Spencer elected to ride the Aidan O'Brien-trained Excellent Art in last year's Queen Elizabeth II Stakes when Cheveley Park had Cesare in the race and the Newmarket-based stud are simply applying their own “freedom of choice” according to managing director Chris Richardson.

#################################################

Any insight on this, Dante?;)

Quite bizarre,they must be mad. Winston has been a shadow of his former self since returning. As usual Jamie takes it in his stride and even rides work with the beast on another horse. Their loss will be someone else's gain :D

I have not really been following Winston since his return. How many winners, he is getting much support?

His ride on Patkai last Saturday was odd to say the least, well from what I could see anyway. Perhaps it was merely trainer instruction, but he seemed to have him too far back for a horse who stays 2m.

I started a thread a month back about Winston which got no replies. I noticed that Stoute and Cheveley Park were supporting him. I fancy he will be high profile again before too long.

His ride on Patkai last Saturday was odd to say the least, well from what I could see anyway. Perhaps it was merely trainer instruction, but he seemed to have him too far back for a horse who stays 2m.

Been covered elsewhere, but "odd to say the least" is wrong.

Back