Worth Following

Flame

At the Start
Here are ten horses I'm looking forward to this season, these are not meant to be the best ones but ones I think would produce a few decent wins along the way.

Zippi Jazzman (USA)
3yo Ch C, Dixieland Band (USA) o/o Redeem (USA)
321403 –

A horse I am seriously looking forward to this season. I paddocked this horse at Bath at the end of last season and he was a lovely big horse with a nice frame to come up into. He strikes me as a horse that could do very well this season and that day at Bath the draw beat him. He had to travel out wide and got into a bit of trouble when he needed to make his run. Staying on very well in the closing stages he was running on strongly at the finish.
Off 77 this season I think this horse is handicapped to win 2 or 3 races early doors and given his American pedigree he could be much better when he gets a fast surface. Ideally suited by 6f I wouldn’t be surprised if he popped up in one of the big 3yo sprint handicaps. I would very much like to see him aimed at the William Hill Trophy at York in June.

Khazina (USA)
3yo B/Br F, Kingmambo (USA) o/o Easy Now (USA)
-

Related to some classy sprinters in American and her mother was also a useful sprinter. Has been showing alot of speed on the Newmarket gallops this month and looks a very nice type in her work. Was expected to be quite smart last season but was very backward and connections were keen to wait with her. She is a very nice sort for this season and should have no problem winning her maiden before collecting a couple of handicaps over 6 – 7f.

Compton Rose
3yo Ch F, Compton Place o/o Benjarong
5 –

In my opinion this is a good thing in a low key 6f maiden at the start of this season. She ran in a fair 5f maiden at Windsor on her debut in July and having walked out the stalls, ram very green and got hampered she powered home in the final furlong to run a close 5th. There will be lots of improvement in her this season and whilst she probably has the speed for 5f, I think 6f will be more her trip. She has a little maiden and possibly a handicap in her this season early on.

Phoenix Tower (USA)
4yo B C, Chester House (USA) o/o Bionic
1/11 –

One of the classier colts in the yard and likely to be aimed at the Lockinge at the start of the season. Unbeaten in all three starts he won a fiercely competitive handicap at Newbury at the start of last season before making easy work of fair opposition in a conditions race at Windsor. He has had a setback since but has looked very impressive in his early season gallops with classy handicapper Sound Of Nature. He likes top of the ground and should have no problems proving effective over 7f – 1m. He will have little trouble stepping up into group company this season and should be able to gain a few more victories this year.

Lunces Lad (IRE)
4yo Gr G, Xaar o/o Bridelina (FR)
01604/0640244030 –

Major disappointment so far and despite a couple of respectable runs last summer he has failed to show the level of ability he shows on the gallops. Has really come on nicely over the winter and off 81 he does have a decent handicap or two in him. He is crying out for a stiff 7f on slow ground or an a mile on slow ground. Unlike many Linamix family horses he doesn’t want it like a big but when he gets good to soft ground over a stiff 7f or a mile this year mark my words he will bounce in. Reports from the gallops have been very encouraging of late and he could be one to strike early doors with.

Romanticize
2yo B F, Kyllachy o/o Romancing

Considered the sharpest of the Chapple-Hyam juveniles and a full sister to a nice sort of William Haggas’ called Romantic Verse. Has only been working 3 – 4f at the moment but this January foal has got plenty of early toe and should be ready to run come April. Yet to know if she is any star but will know its job and is likely to be targeted at the early fillies only race at Newbury in April.

Speed Gifted
4yo B C, Montjeu (IRE) o/o Good Standing (USA)
151 –

Collected in good style when expected to at York in the later part of the season and was put away to protect his handicap mark for this season. Looks a really strong staying sort who handles any ground and looks an ideal candidate to follow in Purple Moon’s footsteps in the Ebor this year. He has always been very highly regarded and unusually for a Montjeu he is best of decent ground. He is rated 102 now so may have to be targeted at listed and conditions races to start off with but is a classy stayer in the making.

Legislation
3yo B C, Oasis Dream o/o Kite Mark
165 –

Disappointed after impressive winning debut at Newmarket but was still growing and has now come up into a very nice horse. Form of his 5th at Kempton is better than first thought and handicapper has been very fair on him with a mark of 86. He should be effective in 6 – 7f sprints this season and is expected to be able to make up into a listed horse by the end of the season.

Inventor (IRE)
3yo B C, Alzao (USA) o/o Magnificent Bell (IRE)
031 –

Huge horse who could be a massive horse this season. He looked very one paced last season but having run very green on his first two starts he knuckled down well to score at Bath in good style. Will be better on faster ground this season and all he does is stay so middle distance races look key to him. Rated 81 he is open to improvement this year and is an interesting type.

Laughter (IRE)
3yo B F, Sadler’s Wells (USA) o/o Smashing Review (USA)
1 –

Impeccably well bred filly who has been working very well at home since coming back into training. Looked the business winning a decent Leicester maiden last season and is considered a typical Oaks filly by the yard. Will be suited by 10f and further and could comeback to take a handicap off a mark of 85 this season. She will have no problems progressing into a group filly this year.

Good luck all

Chris

Khazina debuts today at Pontefract and after an impressive gallop with Cute on Saturday I can't see her getting beat.

Well done, Chris, and I would agree that a winner is a winner, is a winner, but she really shouldn't have won that race.

She is a grand looker and will probably go on from this but she had the run of the race by getting a lovely run up the inside on the bend into the straight and if the second horse, Everything, had been able to keep anywhere near a straight line Khazina would have had to settle for second.

Saying that Khazina ran very green and knuckled down well despite inexperience. She needs another furlong and to be honest she was always holding Everything and I'm not sure that horse came off too much of a true line.

She will get a nice handicap mark after that but sadly we all know what Clive will do next.

Couple of runners already come out of this and a couple of winners.

So we look towards Zippi Jazzman today (6.50 - "not so" Great Leighs)

Back