York Ante-Post bets

depends if the races are re-routed, but in the case of something like the Ebor I think if your horse was declared and you asked your bookie to refund on the grounds of it no longer be running at York, they may be obliged to do so.

If any races are re-run, chances are that they will have to be re-opened (in fact I'm sure that they have to be re-opened, as per the rules) - at least back to the previous declaration stage. Therefore that in itself should render most ante post bets void, since new entries are likely to be made. In the case of the Ebor I have no idea what they'd do, possibly roll it back to the last declaration stage (ie the 5 day, before 48 hr decs were made) since they can hardly start again with the race. What would happen to those bets would probably be down to the individual firms so long as the original entries stand although I would imagine they would void all bets placed after the final decs were made and I would also imagine they'd be fairly flexible about letting people cancel their AP bets due to change of venue if they were for some reason to let them all stand.

Chances are, they'll void the lot though.

Last edited:
Scratch that, just read that all AP bets are void. Doesn't seem right somehow for a race like the Ebor though!

I like the way the Ebor goes to Newbury on Friday, under a new name. Yet all bets are void it seems. I find this a bit unfair, if you say had 20/1 about a horse that was now 6/1.

Bookmakers should have offered an option to keep the bet if wanted.

Yes, it's swings and roundabouts. I took Milne Graden at 8/1 before Goodwood so would be quite happy for the bet to be voided but I've lost out on a lucrative-looking AP bet in the past. On the other hand, about 30 years ago I had 33/1 Bourbon Prince for the Triumph and it was 6/4 on the day of the abandonment. The bet was void so when they ran the race a month later on firm ground I stuck the stake on Connaught Ranger which won at 20/1.

I was on Jair Du Cochet at 25/1, 16/1 and 10/1 for the Triumph, still have nightmares with that voided because of the F and M.

I was on Jair Du Cochet at 25/1, 16/1 and 10/1 for the Triumph, still have nightmares with that voided because of the F and M.

He was no good thing for that was he with Azertyuiop and Bilboa in opposition, but it would have been nice to have got a run for your money all the same.

I think voiding all bets is fairest to both parties. Otherwise you'll end up with bookmakers having to void bets on all non-runners and drifters, and being stuck with a book full of 6/1, 8/1 and 10/1 shots laid at 14/1, 25/1 and 33/1.

I like the way the Ebor goes to Newbury on Friday, under a new name. Yet all bets are void it seems. I find this a bit unfair, if you say had 20/1 about a horse that was now 6/1.

It's only unfair in the way that "Sod's Law" is unfair; Tattersall's rules established many moons ago state that Ante Post bets will be void in the event of a race being re-opened and/or being moved to a new venue. It is, in effect a different event.

I also have a hard luck story having had my biggest ever bet on Call Equiname to win the 1998 (?) Victor Chandler Chase which was twice rerouted. I even collected my void bet once and re-placed it but was too busy to do the deed twice. Such is life, I'm afraid.

He was no good thing for that was he with Azertyuiop and Bilboa in opposition, but it would have been nice to have got a run for your money all the same.

I think voiding all bets is fairest to both parties. Otherwise you'll end up with bookmakers having to void bets on all non-runners and drifters, and being stuck with a book full of 6/1, 8/1 and 10/1 shots laid at 14/1, 25/1 and 33/1.

Ah Jair Du Cochet..what a loss. He smashed up Bilboa at Chepstow who in turn beat Azertyuiop at Aintree. He was a different league to everything as a 4 year old. That win at Cheltenham blew me away...

JDC was the best juvenile hurdler EVER.

About the York races

can this Yorkshire Oaks be the worst gr1 race run in GB ever?

JDC absolutely hacked up in the Finesse, I couldn't believe how easy he won that day. A great loss to racing.

On National Colour at 25/1 so hopefully the price won't come down too much on the South African flyer :(

Ah Jair Du Cochet..what a loss. He smashed up Bilboa at Chepstow who in turn beat Azertyuiop at Aintree. He was a different league to everything as a 4 year old. That win at Cheltenham blew me away...

That's certainly not the way I remember it. I thought it was mre like 6 lengths or so with the filly given lots to do from off the pace at Chepstow (never good tactics around there), whereas Jair du Cochet made all.

As for him hacking up in the Finesse, wasn't his chief rival that day Pedro Pete? As much as I liked Jair du Cochet, he (or his rider!) had a habit of not getting it right on the big days didn't he. See his failures in the Stayers' Hurdle, King George and Sun Alliance Chase.

Having originally laid Borderlescott for the Nunthorpe, I'm delighted to reiterate my support for the Ante Post rules ;)

Given the horse in question (if I'm right) drifted back out to 20/1 and finished last, it's probably just as well, if somewhat galling.....

Back