York Day 3

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
It's all about Sariska tomorrow. I imagine she'll be quite short in the betting for the Arc after the Yorkshire Oaks.

My only bet will be Roaring Forte in the mile handicap. He was taken off his feet last time in the International and I feel the return to a mile will suit ideally. The draw isn't brilliant but i'm on at 10s.

I will be going over the Roaring Forte cliff with you one more time, lost a fortune on him at Ascot and have got burnt in nearly all of the big heritage handicaps this year but I agree, a mile should suit. Not sure about the booking of Murtagh, what Liam Jones did wrong on him, I don't know. Really annoys me when these jocks get kicked off when they've proven they can perform on the animal.

It's ridiculous, he's the only jockey to have won on the animal, three times in fact by wide margins and he gets kicked off for a jockey who is, lets face it, not the greatest big field jockey. It'll probably turn out that Jones is banned or something after this rant but they put Moore up instead at Ascot.

I'd never dream of kicking a winning jockey off my horse if he'd won on him three times just because he was suddenly in a more valuable race.

I'll be backing Patricians Glory for Tom Tate in the big mile handicap - dropping massively in grade and has been running well against far better horses than these, lightly weighted too so must be in with a big shout. Draw is a slight concern but IMO the draw bias isn't as significant on the round course as the pundits like to make out.

Also strongly fancy Red Badge from a yard that will know how good their 2yos are and what it will take to win a big sales race like this. 11/1 looks good value in a race of this nature.

Lovelace and Docofthebay against the field in the mile handicap. It's the only race of any interest to me today.

I've laid Sariska at 1.37. She'll most likely win, but something just doesn't convince me at the price, especially on this ground. I really like Dar re mi and think she'll give her a race, and think it could be a messy race with an upset.

I've also backed Roaring Forte (as I have on his 2 previous races this year) and agree with all written above about him.

I think there's a case to be made that Roaring Forte bounced last time out and he'll come on for that Ascot run. 10/1 is massive as I don't rate Mirrored at all, Acrostic however is a big danger.

Completely agree about laying Sariska. We haven't got a lot running for us but Da Re Mi is very good on her day, Barshiba is game as hell and could nick it from the front and Tamarind could be anything. Shame they didn't send Profound Beauty here instead. She is 1/3 because of the visual impression she made last time out, if she'd won that in a similar style to her Epsom success, she'd be about 8/13ish I suspect.

Last edited:
I've also laid Sariska as I don't rate Spencer. It may have been impressive LTO, but it was a slow time.

Barshiba has impressive form. GAMLA STAN can you please check out the LTO at Goodwood. RP make it slow by 4 seconds. I make it 4 seconds fast on Soft.

Last edited:
Leocorno reportedly pleasing in work and should show well in the Galtres. Tough race though. Tanoura should go well on the fast going for Oxx and Fallen In Love has decent form.

If Sariska is as well as Bell reckons you could tie her legs together and she'll still win... have to admit to not being thrilled about the fast going though (although she's done okay on it before).

This will sound like shocking pocket talking but what was Ryan Moore doing on Red Badge?

Aside from taking the horse all over the place in the race he cut up Rodrigo De Torres close home too.

I am really taking to this filly, she is so beautiful and just loves it.

What do people think of the channel 4 close up on her? she looks like Meehan still has more to work on with her and I'll be surprised if she didnt train on

If he'd lost that I'd have put York in the do not touch category inhabited by the July course. My last winner before today was Mullins Bay in the John Smith's.

Did it rain before racing today? I only saw the big mile h'cap on telly but I was surprised to see them come over to this side and the ground looked very loose.

Delighted about Roaring Forte, my stake was a lot smaller today though. Murtagh gave him a gem, shame he has amnesia...

From the Sporting Life...

Roaring Forte's fortunes took a turn for the better with a clear-cut win in the Addleshaw Goddard Stakes at York.

A fancy for the Royal Hunt Cup, he refused to enter the stalls and he was well-beaten at Ascot on his last start.

However, ridden prominently by Johnny Murtagh, he kicked clear with two furlongs to run and the advantage he gained was too big for the others to peg back.

Alazeyab just held off Acrostic for second but they were two lengths behind the 8-1 winner. Webbow was fourth.

After crossing the line the winner swerved, unseating Murtagh, but no harm was done.

Murtagh said: "He won very well there.

"Coming up by the line, he just ducked. I wasn't paying enough attention so he just side-stepped and I fell off."

Maureen Haggas, wife of the winning trainer, said: ''He won at Newmarket quite impressively first time out this season, but he was one of the horses who was taken out of the Hunt Cup at the start.

''He's never any trouble at the stalls normally but there were a few around him playing up and he fell out the back.

''He was a little disappointing last time but when he's right, he's very good.

''We'll have to ask William where next, but the Cambridgeshire might be a furlong too far.''

Murtagh added: ''That's the first time I've ridden him, he is a nice, long-striding sort."

What Johnny??? http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=689648

Back