York Day Two

Marb

Journeyman
Another day, another minefield. Bit tired, hard day today. Here are my two besties...1:50 Fairy Falcon 3:00 Line Of Duty (Nap).

The 3.35 is quite the minefield I’m drawn to all the omeara runners but there are so many well handicapped/gone at the game horses it’s a bit of a lottery. So I’ll go with the big price mikmak at 50/1. Tim Easterby isn’t a stranger to the winners enclosure in York and I can’t see why mikmak is 4 times the price of his stable mate considering the last time they raced here, there wasn't much between them with my selection having to come through the field while just hiss bossed it from the front. Mikmak will enjoy a 6 pound turnaround in the weights too.

Last edited:
Have backed Hayadh (16/1, 4 places) in the Hambleton, on the premise that he showed improved form latest in winning the Thirsk Hunt Cup, on a track not dissimilar to York, and he's better drawn than quite a few of the principals.
Also bet the 2 morals in Too Darn Hot & Soldier's Call (4.05) for a fairly safe double on an otherwise quiet day.
gl to all.

So in a small field we have one person napping Line Of Duty and another saying Japan is unbeatable against a horse rated 12lbs and more superior to everything else and already higher rated than some Derby winners?

Should make for an interesting race...

For the record, I took 9/2 TDH for the Derby the other day in anticipation of a demolition job here. He's bred for the Leger, let alone the Derby or Dante. He could have been a Triple Crown horse foiled by injury.

Last edited:
It's a very quiet betting day for me too.

I took LTD & TDH in win double as it pays 5/2ish and for me that's the odds they're giving about TDH staying. I can live with losing at that price.

My only other bets are in the Hambleton. The main bet is Mutafani 11/2 and the back-up is Bless Him 14/1. I had to think very seriously before deciding against Hortzadar and What's The Story but, a bit like yesterday's handicap won by First Eleven, the prices are a bit short to be dutching.

My first horse is a non runner. Mrs Sippy to out run the odds in the second race I reckon. 16/1 each way taken.

Can't be arsed looking for the TV Coverage thread but surely an experienced horseman like Mick Fitz could see there that TDH was reacting to his presence and voice near him. He really should have backed off and lowered his voice. At least Cumani has the sense to do that when she's on parade ring duty.

Mmmm. Interesting. You have to supplement the winner after that. TDH possibly just outstayed so would he be able to turn the tables round on a horse with a stouter pedigree over another two furlongs.
Just heard no Derby for TDH. SD wins it then! ��

Can't be arsed looking for the TV Coverage thread but surely an experienced horseman like Mick Fitz could see there that TDH was reacting to his presence and voice near him. He really should have backed off and lowered his voice. At least Cumani has the sense to do that when she's on parade ring duty.
A lot of horses get buzzy walking across the Knavesmire. Don’t think you can blame Mick for that even if you don’t like him!

That ended up quite an expensive race for me.

The double with LTD - down
TDH for the Derby - down
Japan - down

Ouch, ouch and ouch.

A lot of horses get buzzy walking across the Knavesmire. Don’t think you can blame Mick for that even if you don’t like him!

I don't dislike Mick but I'd have expected him to speak more softly and maybe even give it a bit more room seeing the horse was already buzzy.

I think Telecaster could be dangerous if tracking the pace and slipping the field at Epsom like that. SD will need to be awake to that. But you would have to hope occasion doesn’t get to Telecaster as he looks lively.
Cannot see Japan going after that. AVD didn’t impress me and I haven’t seen Broome.

As the amicable Ed Chamberlain said beforehand, I want an English contender, (he's got one now).

Last edited:
Cannot see Japan going after that. AVD didn’t impress me and I haven’t seen Broome.

AVD really impressed me. He had Group 1 form as a 2yo and his placing at Lingfield suggested he'd need the run. Prefer him to SD who enjoyed a pace collapse and Broome who looks like a Group 2 boat type.

I don't dislike Mick but I'd have expected him to speak more softly and maybe even give it a bit more room seeing the horse was already buzzy.

Cumani gets way too close to the horses and annoys a lot of them - and the viewers as well. There's absolutely no need for a presenter to walk along side the horses and be in the picture.

Back