York Going

Guest_

At the Start
YORK (Updated: 13:20)Good to Soft (GoingStick 5.8, at 1.00pm Saturday)Dry and Bright over last 48 hours Friday/SaturdayForecast to Remain Dry Until Saturday EveningWhen Band of Rain Passing Through Region Clearingat Dawn on Sunday

Be interesting to see how this goes. From a ground point of view it has gone Ballydoyle`s way all year long. It didn`t rain at Royal Ascot until after Henry and DoM had won their races and despite a really wet July it was dry just long enough for fast ground in the King George. I`ve backed New Approach thinking the ground will be on the easy side on tuesday but i`m starting to think it will swing the Duke`s way again.

At very best I think the ground will ride just good on Tuesday, more likely Good To Soft. No excuse for New Approach in either case.

No chance of good ground by the sounds of things...

York ground drying
but rain threatens

Lee Mottershead

THE ground at York dried out to good to soft on Saturday afternoon, but that could all have changed overnight depending on the actions of a weather front that had the potential to unleash a deluge of rain.

Having altered the official description to soft, good to soft in places, on Friday, clerk of the course William Derby further amended the report to good to soft and issued a GoingStick reading of 5.8.

However, that could change once again according to a Met Office spokesman, who said Saturday: "I am afraid we are in for a rather unsettled few days.
There is a band of heavy rain coming in overnight Saturday into Sunday that could bring 20mm-25mm of rain. Showers will then follow on Sunday morning with further rain coming in Sunday night into Monday morning.

"Quite alot of showers will fall on Monday with the possibility of longer spells of rain. Tuesday is also going to be wet, and though there will be drier and brighter periods on Wednesday, Thursday will also see a lot of showers."

Derby said: "Since it stopped raining at midday on Thursday, we have had nice, drying conditions. The forecast I had was for 7mm-8mm of rain overnight, and what happens to the ground clearly depends on how much rain we get."

We had a lot of rain here in York up to Thursday and it will not need much to keep it on the soft side of good. Not had any today though as yet.

If they get all that rain surely DOM would swerve the race and wait for the Irish Champion which is only 18 days later. In the meantime the price of NA will surley shorten further.

I wonder are they regretting not having Soldier Of Fortune on standby for this...best chance to win a Group 1 over 10 furlongs would be in testing ground.

Unless it is absolutely bottomless I think they will run DOM.

Wow. That`s a lot. And yeah Gal, they`ve dropped the ball not having Soldier of Fortune for this. This long straight and really soft ground would suit him to a tee.

I will speak to my mother this evening before travelling up home in the morning to find out how bad it has been,but with the forecast not good even if the meeting does go ahead what sort of state is the ground going to be in by the end of racing on Friday.

I'm not sure I can see that at all Galileo.

If we ignore all form except that shown on soft or heavy...as seems only sensible...then DOM still holds the best rating using RPR's

he got a RPR of 124 on soft in April..add 9lbs as he carries 9-5 on Tues = 133

NA's best piece of form on soft is 121..add 9lbs as he carries 8-11 on Tues = 130

so purely on what has been achieved on the surface.. DOM has 3lbs in hand..and is a natural 10f horse...which NA has not proven yet

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can see that at all Galileo.

If we ignore all form except that shown on soft or heavy...as seems only sensible...then DOM still holds the best rating using RPR's

he got a RPR of 124 on soft in April..add 9lbs as he carries 9-5 on Tues = 133

NA's best piece of form on soft is 121..add 9lbs as he carries 8-11 on Tues = 130

so purely on what has been achieved on the surface.. DOM has 3lbs in hand..and is a natural 10f horse...which NA has not proven yet

That NA form was as a 2yo. pretty irrelevent now. New Approach is high class at 8f and 12f, it`s pretty obvious the trip will be ok.

it`s pretty obvious the trip will be ok.

as he has never run over that trip..it's not obvious..you are assuming

it's debatable that he is "top class" at 8f..as we have dicussed before..to death in fact...2nd in an average guineas isn't my idea of top class tbh

when NA doesn't win tomorrow I am looking forward to why he lost ;)

it wasn't the trip that cost NA the race [nap] ;)

good luck with your wagers anyway...lets hope its a decent race

Last edited:
This was posted on the bf forum a couple of hours ago (which knowing the posters on the bf forum means its probably firm going)

NFFC said:
me and my mate have just walked approx 250yrds up the home straight (we are staying in york for the 4day ebor) but quite frankly if this rain continues like this (river ouze already burst its banks)
i just cant see how they could hold a race fixture (of any magnitude)on that ground !!!
its totally waterlogged- im just 13 stone and the water just covered my boots when i took a a step imagine whats its gonna be like for a horse ?????
i personally can see a inspection being held 1st thing in the morn then a decision to change to a 3day ebor (keeping the group 1 s ) hope im wrong but it really is that bad !!!!

This apparently is the corporate policy

In The Event Of Abandonment

Your package price includes an insurance policy that will provide a full refund in the event that racing is abandoned before 10.30 am, if racing is abandoned after that time then the restaurant will be serving food and drinks as usual and no refund would apply for the restaurant elements.

So I'll bet on an 11am inspection :)

"This apparently is the corporate policy

Quote:
In The Event Of Abandonment

Your package price includes an insurance policy that will provide a full refund in the event that racing is abandoned before 10.30 am, if racing is abandoned after that time then the restaurant will be serving food and drinks as usual and no refund would apply for the restaurant elements.

So I'll bet on an 11am inspection :)"

Some will see that as sound business sense!!!

"Racing for tuesday has been abandoned. A further inspection has been called for 4.00pm to advise on prospects for wednesday. Advance booked general admission badges and tickets will be automatically refunded for tuesday."

Not bad really considering that at 0730 I checked on the web before going out to see if York was on - found a piece on the Sporting Life website saying :

York's clerk of the course William Derby says this week's Ebor Meeting - due to get under way on Tuesday - is not in any doubt.
Heavy rainfall in North Yorkshire has hit the Knavesmire hard in recent days, but the course is ready to open its doors to thousands of racegoers in the next four days.
The current heavy going could possibly scupper the eagerly-awaited clash between Duke Of Marmalade and New Approach in the Juddmonte International on Tuesday, but Derby has assured the public the meeting will go ahead.
He told attheraces: "The course looks in good nick despite the rain. It is heavy ground but the meeting is not in any doubt at the moment."

When I looked 2 hours later it was off!

Back