York Take Outs

barjon

Rookie
Wednesday

1:50 - Pocklington, in his first run after wind surgery, was drawn badly and raced in last for a lot of the way. Started moving just over a furlong out, finished like a rocket and would have been likely placed if he hadn’t been hampered in the process. Perhaps he suddenly realised that he could breathe.

2:25 - Ruling Court looked like a boy in a man’s race when viewed against the winning The Lion in Winter (who is now favourite for both the 2000 Guineas and Derby), but he ran a sound race and he’ll be a force to be reckoned with as he grows and muscles up. Conversely, I’d be a bit chary of The Lion in Winter in case he’s done his growing early and the others catch him up - need to see how he looks next season first.

3:00 - Maljoom blew the start again and that was him finished although he was fastest of the lot for a furlong or so some 5 out. He’ll win one when he gets away properly, unfortunately we won’t know when that is - in running maybe or after signs that he is getting away better.

Thursday

4:45 - Age Of Gold was drawn handily in 4 and got away well, but he seemed a bit tapped for toe initially and fell back to the rear. Made steady progress through the crowded infield until things closed in around him, switched and got clear a furlong out he was gaining all the way to the line. It won’t be long before he’s winning.

Friday

1:50 - Lieber Power came from the graveyard daw and by the time he worked his way over to the favoured side he was disputing last place. Still last rounding the final bend he finished strongly and steadily through the field, but couldn’t get the winner. He is due to go up 4lbs and more on top of that for this one, but he can cope, I think.

3:00 - Shadow Of Light winner of a couple of Class 4, he proved himself well up to Group2 level, keeping on strongly beat all but the winner. He looked as though he would like longer, but they say they are keeping him at 6f for the time being.

3:35 - Believing ran a cracker from an unfavourable draw. There’s no saying she would have won from a better draw, but she wasn’t sunk without trace as most in the high numbers were. She’s been running well and a Group winner - it’s suggested she will go for next month's Flying Five.

I'm delighted. As we discussed before, Believing probably was on the wrong side. She just gets a bit outpaced at that crucial point. Nothing really took her into the race properly. It was a lovely ride from Ryan Moore and she was getting there with each stride. She'll head to the Flying Five, that's been the plan for a long time and I'm very proud of her. She's dancing every dance and I hope she'll pop up at some point - George Boughey, trainer.

4:45 - Sandwiched between the million euro winner and the half a million third Shah finished the strongest of all and I’ll be interested in him over a bit longer.

Saturday

1:50 - Task Force got squeezed up and was checked in the last furlong when it mattered. I don’t think he would have won, but certainly a lot closer. He’s looking more like it.

4:45 - Magnum Force was drawn in the car park and made his wayy over to the favoured side only to be denied a clear run when it mattered. Finished very strongly and probably best of all when clear , but couldn’t quite catch the winner.

I plan to take a conservative view of the York form in general.

Rather than the best horse winning, I reckon the track played a huge part in the results.

Before the midweek rain it was prominent runners being wind-assisted in holding off the closers and then after the rain I think a lot of the jockeys misjudged the pace or the horses were affected by the strong half-against wind, plus parts of track seemed to be riding faster than others, especially up against the far rail in the straight.

That said, the beaten horses who should have done better but were inconvenienced might offer some value in their next run or two.

Wednesday

1:50 - Pocklington, in his first run after wind surgery, was drawn badly and raced in last for a lot of the way. Started moving just over a furlong out, finished like a rocket and would have been likely placed if he hadn’t been hampered in the process. Perhaps he suddenly realised that he could breathe.

2:25 - Ruling Court looked like a boy in a man’s race when viewed against the winning The Lion in Winter (who is now favourite for both the 2000 Guineas and Derby), but he ran a sound race and he’ll be a force to be reckoned with as he grows and muscles up. Conversely, I’d be a bit chary of The Lion in Winter in case he’s done his growing early and the others catch him up - need to see how he looks next season first.

3:00 - Maljoom blew the start again and that was him finished although he was fastest of the lot for a furlong or so some 5 out. He’ll win one when he gets away properly, unfortunately we won’t know when that is - in running maybe or after signs that he is getting away better.

Thursday

4:45 - Age Of Gold was drawn handily in 4 and got away well, but he seemed a bit tapped for toe initially and fell back to the rear. Made steady progress through the crowded infield until things closed in around him, switched and got clear a furlong out he was gaining all the way to the line. It won’t be long before he’s winning.

Friday

1:50 - Lieber Power came from the graveyard daw and by the time he worked his way over to the favoured side he was disputing last place. Still last rounding the final bend he finished strongly and steadily through the field, but couldn’t get the winner. He is due to go up 4lbs and more on top of that for this one, but he can cope, I think.

3:00 - Shadow Of Light winner of a couple of Class 4, he proved himself well up to Group2 level, keeping on strongly beat all but the winner. He looked as though he would like longer, but they say they are keeping him at 6f for the time being.

3:35 - Believing ran a cracker from an unfavourable draw. There’s no saying she would have won from a better draw, but she wasn’t sunk without trace as most in the high numbers were. She’s been running well and a Group winner - it’s suggested she will go for next month's Flying Five.

I'm delighted. As we discussed before, Believing probably was on the wrong side. She just gets a bit outpaced at that crucial point. Nothing really took her into the race properly. It was a lovely ride from Ryan Moore and she was getting there with each stride. She'll head to the Flying Five, that's been the plan for a long time and I'm very proud of her. She's dancing every dance and I hope she'll pop up at some point - George Boughey, trainer.

4:45 - Sandwiched between the million euro winner and the half a million third Shah finished the strongest of all and I’ll be interested in him over a bit longer.

Saturday

1:50 - Task Force got squeezed up and was checked in the last furlong when it mattered. I don’t think he would have won, but certainly a lot closer. He’s looking more like it.

4:45 - Magnum Force was drawn in the car park and made his wayy over to the favoured side only to be denied a clear run when it mattered. Finished very strongly and probably best of all when clear , but couldn’t quite catch the winner.
Magnum force, was to my eye, the best horse in the race by a mile. Circumstances certainly conspiritated against him. To me, he's a potential group 1 horse.

Hippo de loire badly hampered in the ebor and would have gone close with a clear run.

This is something I need to check again. Watching the replay the interference looked a lot more severe than I'd thought watching live.

(Love the typo, though :cool:)

Wednesday:
Docklands ran a stormer in the Juddmonte. He must have lost between three and four lengths at the start and finished really well. He's interesting in any 10f group race going forward.

Thursday:
I put Aragon Castle in my tracker after his run over 10 at Goodwood, his first go at that trip. I wasn't interested in him in the Clipper back over a mile and sure enough he ran on strongly after getting outpaced. He's still a horse to be with over the right distance.
The fillies handicap that closed the card was full of eye catchers. I backed Queen of Mougins who ran really well from a bad draw and I've also put Elim in the tracker.

Friday:
Apiarist went into my tracker when he was third in a hot Haydock handicap earlier in the year and he keeps running really well in his own age group without winning...much like EBT's Guard who was also in this. I've always had the policy with trackers that if they get beat two or three times they're off my list but that's burned me a few times this season and last. What happens is these unexposed 3yos some of them are only up to winning when they come up against older handicappers. Look at Jungle Mac this season:
Goes into my tracker after an eyecatching run at Newmarket at the Guineas meeting then:
First bet..third in a handicap at Donny won by Britannia winner Mickley
Second bet...runner up behind Treasure Time who won the Apiarist race last week
Third bet...runner up behind Al Shabab Storm (a subsequent listed winner) at Chester
Off the tracker....next run back on the July Course where he's joint fav with the very exposed 7yo Dutch Decoy - wins.

Change of policy needed for next year I think.

Back