Yorkshire racetrack ID

Aldaniti

At the Start
Ok I admit I'm a bit of a heartbeat fan :ninja:

On yesterdays episode which was filmed around 2000 there was a racecourse featured on it,

Any thoughts on which course it was?

1, No jumps from what I could see

2, Heartbeat is filmed at Goathland in the middle of the Yorkshire moors so I assume its not far from there.

3, No visible houses

4, Small grandstand painted green & cream

5, A couple of red brick buildings in the centre of the course opp grandstand

6, White painted metal railings around enclosure

7, appeared to have a small lake near it

Slightly off topic but on googling ripon & heartbeat I found this!

Nice to know where some of the oldies end up!!

ANSON HOUSE is a luxurious, newly built self-catering cottage on the outskirts of Malton (only 1 mile from both the railway and bus stations) yet completely surrounded by fields.

It is situated on a horse racing yard/thoroughbred stud and has been finished to a very high standard with the 27 hole golf course 150 yards (about a 7 iron) away.

There is always something in a name and Anson House is named after Avro Anson - bred, raised and raced from Star Cottage.

Avro completed two Grand Nationals, finished first in the Stayers Hurdles at Cheltenham and won a multitude of flat, hurdle and chase races for us and is still here in honorable retirement.

Stable/Gallops visits can be arranged.

Pretty certain to be ripon then, lots of pics if you google it. The buildings along the top turn, just after the finishing line are the racecourse stables

It'll almost certainly be Ripon I'd have thought, (provided it's filmed in Yorkshire). Thirsk has a rugby ground in the middle, Doncaster and York you'd recognise. Pontefract has a hill and a power station. Never been to Beverley or Catterick. Redcar has a houses (only considered Yorkshire by traditionalists). If its green and cream it sounds like a 'Northern Racing' track? but I don't think they own Ripon

Last edited:
Great news about AVRO ANSON! Always welcome to hear of where old stagers end up, what they're doing (if anything), and so on. Sounds an idyllic place to stay.

Back