You know the NH's back in Ireland...

trackside528

At the Start
...when the first meeting of the year is staged on the all-weather at Thurles! :D

Slightly more seriously, there look to be a few interesting chasing debutantes on show tommorrow, including Whatuthink (who would be seen to better effect in the 2m6f beginners surely?) as well as a couple of the bigger players out in an interesting conditions hurdle.

It's been pegging rain all day in Tipperary which should make for ideal NH ground in Thurles tomorrow. I fancy Schindlers Hunt in the feature Vendee Hurdle. Third in last years Ryanair Chase and placed in the Melling Chase and Guinness gold cup. That's excellent form. Gearing up for a possible tilt with Kauto Star at Down Royal and this should be an ideal prep race! Looks like Oscar Dan Dan and himself will go off co favs.

Strange to see one of the Bowes' over fences but a very pleasing effort nonetheless by Coolcashin on his chasing debut.

It's been pegging rain all day in Tipperary which should make for ideal NH ground in Thurles tomorrow. I fancy Schindlers Hunt in the feature Vendee Hurdle. Third in last years Ryanair Chase and placed in the Melling Chase and Guinness gold cup. That's excellent form. Gearing up for a possible tilt with Kauto Star at Down Royal and this should be an ideal prep race! Looks like Oscar Dan Dan and himself will go off co favs.

Hard to know what to make of the race given the fitness of the principles has to be taken on trust. In any case, Schindlers Hunt's seems best on decent ground and I'm not even confident he'll get home over 2m6f on testing ground in any case.

Oscar Dan Dan is an interesting back to lay angle. Tends to travel very well through his races without seeming to find a great deal when push comes to shove. I don't think he's a hound by any means, just relatively one paced under pressure. What he needs is a proper end to end gallop (and a proper trainer). If he gets the former today, he'll be tough to peg back.

Coolcashin is a real enigmatic bugger. Doesn't really have a turn of foot, doesn't really have a trip, but always seems to land a blow at some piont during the season.

I'd half expect him to disappoint followers in four subsequent outings, before romping home unbacked in the Irish National. He's that kind of beast - hard to land a punch on the right day, but definitely has some talent about him.

Mr. Warbucks shaped like a promising prospect in the 2m2f beginners chase as well, I thought, with the form of that race probably looking stronger than that of the 2m6f race.

Forjoetheplumber could be an interesting prospect for handicap chases having travelled well for much of the way today before making an atrotious blunder two out only to recover and keep on into second close home. Shapes as if he'll get 3m no bother, with cut in the ground possibly a help as well.

Mr. Warbucks shaped like a promising prospect in the 2m2f beginners chase as well, I thought, with the form of that race probably looking stronger than that of the 2m6f race.

Forjoetheplumber could be an interesting prospect for handicap chases having travelled well for much of the way today before making an atrotious blunder two out only to recover and keep on into second close home. Shapes as if he'll get 3m no bother, with cut in the ground possibly a help as well.

I'd agree with both those comments, apart from pointing out that Forjoetheplumber actually finished third!

I really should have done my research before posting such inaccuracies,still his previous chasing experience worked out well as Archie Boy has proved himself to be pretty useful.
Paul Flynn looking a far better trainer than he ever was as a jockey.

I really should have done my research before posting such inaccuracies,still his previous chasing experience worked out well as Archie Boy has proved himself to be pretty useful.
Paul Flynn looking a far better trainer than he ever was as a jockey.
Not averse to a tilt at the ring either and his raiders to these shores need an eye keeping on them.

Last edited:
Back