Your greatest Cheltenham memory

Perhaps not very original, but Desert Orchid winning the Gold Cup. I ran all the way home from school and had told everyone not to tell me what had happened so that I could watch the race as though live. But I switched on the television and the result was there on the screen!

Just as well really, because my nerves would have been terrible.

Last edited:
Dawn Run - both the Champion & Gold Cup. I cried for days when I heard of her demise.

Thanks for the web links I do have both among my collection. Both show like One Man in more recent times a truely Champion performance followed by such tragidy.

Many, many memories for many, many different reasons but the year I really went strongly ante post getting it as right as it realistically can be (for me anyway) has to be the best.
Singles doubles and all sorts of multiples in which the vast majority of my long range fancies went in. Getting the winner in all bar one of the races on the first and last day and only in two races picking two horses.The only losing race mine came second at 12/1
A not comprehensive list with the best price obtained is Best Mate 4/1, Barracouda 9/2, Rooster Booster 12/1, Azertyuiop 12/1, La Landiere 8/1, Kingscliff 8/1, iirc Young Spartacus 33/1,Moscow Flyer 9/2. and a few others.
I won the comp on here and enough to buy a semi detached house in the South East if I had needed one.

It may seem naff to put up list of winning bets as a memory but I had seen live and followed the vast majority of the horses I selected and the satisfaction of seeing the likes of Moscow, Barracouda, Best Mate, the gutsy and brilliant Rooster, the free running Kingscliff and the potentially brilliant Azertyuiop would have made each of their races a memorable event without the money. My favourite horses all did the business at one meeting- that's the true memory. I just wish Iris's Gift had run in the Sun Alliance Hurdle as my winnings would have been only just short of 7 figures.

Last edited:
Moscow Moscow Moscow ...

And Another Rum...

And Kadoun...

And Sublimity on the bridle coming down to the third last, laughing my head off because he was travelling so well and also because I was green in the market on Brave Inca, Hardy and Iktitaf....literally a no lose situation, but was on a massive winner on Sublimity. Was delirious he was travelling so well..

But Moscow..Moscow...Moscow....no comparison

Back