'Your' replacing 'the'.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Not sure if this should be in 'chit-chat', any mod feel free to move, if so.

I'm going to be accused of being a miserable old pedant but is anyone else p1ssed off with presenters using 'your' instead of 'the'? e.g. "your favourite" or "your winner" and "your non-runner" etc.

Three guilty men who spring to mind, are, Angus McNae, Anthony Kemp and , of course, the lovely Matt Chapman.

It's been mentioned before and is indeed rather annoying. In fairness all three cited are incredibly annoying even when saying the correct thing.

It doesn't annoy me as a turn of phrase.

The way I see it is that there is a certain implicit ownership of that information by the viewer, and that the presenters are merely delivering it to you; analogous to a postman handing over your mail: he wouldn't say "here are the letters", he would be more likely to say "here are your letters". Grumpy Royal Mail employees notwithstanding :)

I only have terrestrial tv but it wouldn't annoy me that much. They're trying to personalise things, I presume, and make the viewer feel more involved. If I were bieng 100% honest, it's the kind of thing I'd probably do myself.

Mark Johnson is another offender at least we have a four month break from him unless you watch US racing

Hmmm, on the Snit-o-Meter, it probably registers around a 4. It's a bit grating, because I think it sounds close to "Yer actual favourite" - especially if uttered by Chaparse, who looks and sounds like a car salesman, anyway.

I couldn't find a witticism I liked, and this appeared on a packet of sweets I bought. Hmm, I wondered - where might this apply, other than in a factory? I know - Cyberland! :) or ;-)

Anything Kemp utters is so highly irritating it provokes a non-voluntary loud [and rude] exclamation every time I hear any whiny, aggravating drivel escape his lips. It's much like a form of Tourette's.

Ha ha - and actually, it would probably be a contagious form of Tourette's too since it tends to affect a lot of people within earshot also.

Not sure if this should be in 'chit-chat', any mod feel free to move, if so.

I'm going to be accused of being a miserable old pedant but is anyone else p1ssed off with presenters using 'your' instead of 'the'? e.g. "your favourite" or "your winner" and "your non-runner" etc.

Three guilty men who spring to mind, are, Angus McNae, Anthony Kemp and , of course, the lovely Matt Chapman.

I’m increasingly irritated by most things these days. Thanks for giving me something else to add to the list.

Back