Your Top 5 "Live" Albums

Would have a preference for studio albums, however these are my five favourite live efforts ................

1) "Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out". (Rolling Stones)
2) "Made In Japan" (Deep Purple)
3) "Jimi Plays Monterey" (Jimi Hendrix)
4) "Live At Leeds" (The Who)
5) "Undead" (Ten Years After)

the ones i listen to most probably are

Humble Pie - Rockin The Fillmore
Free - Live
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Colosseum - Live
Little Feat - Looking For Columbus

bubbling under would be

Flying Burrito Brothers - Last Of The Red HotBurritos
Uriah Heep - January 1973
Walter Trout Band - No More Fish Jokes
Joe Bonamassa - Live From Nowhere In Particular
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Prefer studio but:

AC/DC - If you want blood......
KISS - Alive II (not that live though, a lot of studio fuckery was added on)
The Allman Bros Band - At Fillmore East
Hendrix - Live at Monterey

If You Want Blood ... AC/DC
Shout At The Devil...Ozzy/Sabbath
Iron Maiden..A Real Live Dead One
9:0 Slipknot
Holy Diver : Dio...The Godfather of Metal

Walter Trout Band - No More Fish Jokes
A huge fan of Trout here, for a very long time.
His live "Red House" is quite extraordinary.

This had slipped my mind. Great album.
Tho' the later line-up of Warren Haynes and Dickie Betts and then Derek Trucks appeals just as much to me as the lamented Duane Allman, blasphemous as that sounds.

A huge fan of Trout here, for a very long time.
His live "Red House" is quite extraordinary.

This had slipped my mind. Great album.
Tho' the later line-up of Warren Haynes and Dickie Betts and then Derek Trucks appeals just as much to me as the lamented Duane Allman, blasphemous as that sounds.

I've seen Walter about 3 times..well worth catching him if you can..love that album..great recording too.

Yes..i've got the Allman Live album..i've never really took to it..maybe need to play it a bit more..gets lots of love on Hoffman site. The only Duane Allman stuff i've heard is on Layla..one of the top ten albums of all time imo.

I tend to judge stuff now by how often i listen to it..when you get these polls people generally put what they think are classic albums..but they rarely listen to them. I've got all the classic live ones like who at leeds...made in japan etc..but even though i like both bands i rarely listen to them.

I only heard the Little Feat one in the last couple of years..when i first bought it..i were listening to it a lot..its a great album..one of my fav's..but it passed me by in the 70's ..Steely Dan is another band i never really got. I now revisit bands i totally ignored back in the day..there is so much out there from all that time ago.

Prefer studio but:

AC/DC - If you want blood......
KISS - Alive II (not that live though, a lot of studio fuckery was added on)
Hendrix - Live at Monterey

you can have another one Euro...have some bubbling unders as well if you want

Hendrix in the west ..was always a fav back in the day..they left off the Albert Hall tracks with the new reissue due to copyright..they were the best tracks...have got lots of Hendrix live..many needled drops ...Stages box set...Winterland 2011...Live at Fillmore East. The Purple Box set is worth having as well..its got the live Albert Hall stuff from Hendrix in the west on it. The Royal Albert Hall concert is the one that needs releasing but it has been an ongoing copyright boll0x for about 40 years. They keep saying one day it will be released properly..i've got the Charly box set of it..and its not good quality even though the performances are red hot..there is film and top quality audio of those concerts..he was really on for those gigs.

Its odd how they managed to get those tracks on the box set but then when they re did Hendrix in the west they couldn't. The versions of Little Wing + Voodoo Chile from the Albert Hall are imo the best live versions..even though the Berkeley VC is pretty decent.

Last edited:
I've seen Walter about 3 times..well worth catching him if you can.
Won't be too many more opportunities to do that, I think, regrettably.
He underwent a live-saving liver transplant last year and was in recovery for a long time after it. A result of a lifetime's heavy drinkin'.

He made his first appearance in 13 months at the London RAH last month in a benefit for a childrens hospice. (He has always during his career supported worthy causes, fair play to him). Looked very weak and thin, however, I'm afraid to say.

I'm a bit amazed at this. Is heavy rock a regional thing? For wet dark northern cities?

lots of mates of mine (and women) with all sorts of tastes but I know of no one into this stuff at all. Barely even met anyone that is

there is an immediacy about certain live recordings which is very pronounced in jazz but also very detectable in classical too, which is interesting

the one album above I could bear to take an interest in is the stones get your ya ha etc. but it was horrendous sound quality I recall

you clearly mix in the wrong circles Clive:)..just for a change its not just a northern thing..check out the Steve Hoffman Forum,,,that covers every genre including the pussy stuff you like..its an American forum..probably the best music discussion forum on the net. They like the beatles very very much

The main attraction of concerts is the visual side and the atmosphere neither of which come over on record. Add that to the fact that concerts had lousy sound until the late 80s (by which time most of the best music had already been and gone) and that adds up to me only having 2 concert recordings out of about 400 LPs and CDs. So I guess my top 2 would have to be
Neil Young - Unplugged
Neil Young - Sugar Mountain
although Bruce Springsteen - Live In Dublin, which I have on DVD, was also released as a CD so probably counts.

I'd be going with

The Beatles - Live At The Hollywood Bowl (captures the moment beautifully)
Simon & Garfunkel at Central Park
Jimi at Monterey
Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Won't be too many more opportunities to do that, I think, regrettably.
He underwent a live-saving liver transplant last year and was in recovery for a long time after it. A result of a lifetime's heavy drinkin'.

He made his first appearance in 13 months at the London RAH last month in a benefit for a childrens hospice. (He has always during his career supported worthy causes, fair play to him). Looked very weak and thin, however, I'm afraid to say.

sorry to hear that

I'd be going with

The Beatles - Live At The Hollywood Bowl (captures the moment beautifully)
Simon & Garfunkel at Central Park
Jimi at Monterey
Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Forgot Thin Lizzy: Brilliant

you clearly mix in the wrong circles Clive:)..just for a change its not just a northern thing..check out the Steve Hoffman Forum,,,that covers every genre including the pussy stuff you like..its an American forum..probably the best music discussion forum on the net. They like the beatles very very much

Beatles are not hard rock though. God i hate hard rock

As for "pussy music" you could call soul that.. you dont exactly get what you want with a decent bird by inviting her back to listen to status quo or motorhead do you? you may as well suggest to her that you want to watch her hump your pet labrador

never understood why hard rock is seen as somehow macho. back in the day chaps who were bird magnets and most certainly not to be messed with were invariably soul boys

Last edited:
i didn't say beatles were hard rock..i mentioned a forum..where they discuss all genres..they particularly like the beatles..its a cracking forum..hundreds of posts a day..very informative about every artist known to man

i don't think rock music is macho particularly..i was teasing with the pussy comment...so calm down:).....i don't think any music is tbh..its just the music that grabbed my attention in my formative years..i liked chart music from a young age..1963-1968..then discovered what was happening away from the charts from 69 onwards.

if i had got into classical in 1969..i dare say that would have been the stuff i look back to fondly and pursued throughout life

Last edited:
A
One I forgot, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk at Carnegie Hall 1957. Not a massive Jazz fan but this is so good

now your talking... But I actually don't have that and will look later

miles and coltranes live recordings could be stupendous.

i didn't say beatles were hard rock..i mentioned a forum..where they discuss all genres..they particularly like the beatles..its a cracking forum..hundreds of posts a day..very informative about every artist known to man

i don't think rock music is macho particularly..i was teasing with the pussy comment...so calm down:).....i don't think any music is tbh..its just the music that grabbed my attention in my formative years..i liked chart music from a young age..1963-1968..then discovered what was happening away from the charts from 69 onwards.

if i had got into classical in 1969..i dare say that would have been the stuff i look back to fondly and pursued throughout life
i know. Was winding up a biy

i developed a taste for classical in recent years . I think tastes develop over time myself

i've tried through the years to listen to classical,,but just don't get the same buzz from it. I listen a pretty broad range of music..not just rock..there is enough out there to keep me going..there are hundreds of bands to revisit etc who i didn't appreciate when younger

Last edited:
Back