Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I see they're citing the going as the reason for not running.

I'm not convinced. The going is unlikely to be much different from last year when he ran on well into third and is likely to keep drying out through the day.

It counts as a loser for me as ante-post terms prevailed before the final decs but at least I've got some strong contenders onside.

Edit - I've substituted him with Desert Cop 50/1, 7 places, which I'd intended to back anyway. Hugely progressive in the spring in what is his first season, going from a Class 4 maiden to winning a Class 2 Conditions race against horses rated an awful lot higher and the runner-up ended up being beaten a neck in the Sprint Cup the other week. He went up from 79 to 104 for that and looked sure to progress into a 110+ horse. He's since been disappointing but Balding is a target trainer and the owner likes to target certain races too and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they decided back in April that this was the race for him.

Last edited:
I see they're citing the going as the reason for not running.

I'm not convinced. The going is unlikely to be much different from last year when he ran on well into third and is likely to keep drying out through the day.

It counts as a loser for me as ante-post terms prevailed before the final decs but at least I've got some strong contenders onside.

So you definately don't get your money back even though it was declared, DO?

Seems a bit of an odd rule given you would have been refunded if it had been declared but balloted out.

I thought given your circumstances you would have been refunded.

Maybe some firms would and some wouldn't?

Last edited:
So you definately don't get your money back even though it was declared, DO?

Seems a bit of an odd rule given you would have been refunded if it had been declared but balloted out.

I thought given your circumstances you would have been refunded.

Maybe some firms would and some wouldn't?

I'm pretty sure it's ante-post rules, Marb, and I don't have a problem with the rules. I went in with my eyes open but had no inkling that they were concerned about the ground.

Fair enough. I am interested as I thought if you backed something ante post, it was declared, then later non-runnered after final dec's, that you would get your stake back.

I'm not sure why I thought that. Looks like I was wrong anyway.

Last edited:
Great weekend upcoming. Pretty sure there'll be loads of bets. At the moment I've done:
Mutasaabeq - Joel Stakes 6/1
Liberty Lane and Bluelight Bay - Cambridgeshire 16/1 and 70 (Betfair)
Feed the Flame and Bay Bridge - Arc 10/1 and 20/1

I see someone on the Sporting Life, (Dave Ord I think) has put up Paradias as one of his horses for the Cambridgeshire.

Unfortunately for Dave the jinx is now firmly on. I think 9 furlongs is the perfect trip for this horse. He won over it last year on his only attempt at 9 furlongs. He has run with credit in some competitive handicaps, had a nice break since the last day, and could be open to more improvement.

'Only' 46 acceptors at the 5-day stage for the Cambs??

I take it there will be no 'silver' race this year?

I've taken 100/1 Geremia. I'll go into the case for the form later in the week as I have other pressing matters to hand but I wanted this one onside at this point.

When I last looked 4 or 5 days ago, it looked like no way Geremia or Faylaq were going to get in. Now it's odds on both will run.

Instinct says both will need a little cut to bring their stamina into it. And, with the likely pace, it's not totally inconceivable either (or both) can put in great runs.

My head says Faylaq will have the better chance at this 9f and could run into the first 8 even on goodish ground. But Geremia gives that air of having a big race just waiting. I just think it'll be over 12f plus.

A conundrum. Will probably go for both given the odds. If there is anyone that can get a run out of a horse at the 'wrong' distance, it's Goldie. But I do fear the ground won't be soft enough to give them realistic chances of winning.

Sadly, there appears to be little rain heading Newmarket way. Although there's a ton up there, I think it's all dumping on your head, DO.

*edit - remember Nanton

Last edited:
A conundrum. Will probably go for both given the odds. If there is anyone that can get a run out of a horse at the 'wrong' distance, it's Goldie. But I do fear the ground won't be soft enough to give them realistic chances of winning.

I hadn't really looked at Faylaq, tbh, but I do know from doing races earlier in the year that G is very well handicapped and capable of winning something decent.

Sadly, there appears to be little rain heading Newmarket way. Although there's a ton up there, I think it's all dumping on your head, DO.

*edit - remember Nanton

:lol:

And you'd think my old bonce was soft enough as it is!

And I very much had Nanton in mind.

l'Opera prices at Hills

Via Sistina 3s
Blue Rose Cen 7/2
Nashwa 7/2

I doubt the Gosden horse runs so 7/2 about BRC is very big.

Great weekend upcoming. Pretty sure there'll be loads of bets. At the moment I've done:
Mutasaabeq - Joel Stakes 6/1
Liberty Lane and Bluelight Bay - Cambridgeshire 16/1 and 70 (Betfair)
Feed the Flame and Bay Bridge - Arc 10/1 and 20/1

Stoute could be seen as yesterdays man but Bay Bridge is definitely a bet at 16s or bigger.Only doubt is he went to post with his mouth wide open at Kempton -wouldn't like to see him do that on Sunday.

Backed Jeff Smith's GhostWriter 1.50N both times out and have reinvested winnings as decided to follow till beaten. Looks a very capable beast indeed and may be something worth following into next year.Taken an ew price. Otherwise picked out several that others have already put up.

Backed Jeff Smith's GhostWriter 1.50N both times out and have reinvested winnings as decided to follow till beaten. Looks a very capable beast indeed and may be something worth following into next year.Taken an ew price. Otherwise picked out several that others have already put up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Couple of good cards this weekend at Newmarket and Ascot. It's good to soft at Ascot now and there's not much rain forecast so I want to take on Hamish who heads the Cumberland Lodge market. The obvious one is Al Aasy who has had a grand season and was poorly ridden last time in Ireland - 5/1 at Hills is too big.

Cheers. Yeah she drifted to 7/2 not long before the off with the books and I thought goody she'll be near 5 on the machine but no.

I was very impressed with Mawj at Keenland last night and will be having a decent punt on her in the Breeders Cup.Unfortunately she has two options at the moment Mile and F&M turf.The 1000Guineas form has worked out well -Mawj pays for the Christmas presents.

Back