Boxing Day Racing

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
A thread for your selections not already covered in other threads over the Christmas period. I'll start at Kempton.

Kauto Star Novices Chase - Boxing Day

McFabulous is something of a warm-order for this (8/11 in a couple of places), but with the rain coming and the ground likely to soften-up a fair bit as a result, I think he vulnerable. Almost all his form has come on Good ground or better, and I'm not entirely convinced that he fully gets a 3m trip. Granted, he won easily over that trip at Newbury, but Thyme Hill put in an absolute shocker of a round of jumping, and McFabulous was left with a fairly straightforward task as a result.

There was plenty to like about Ballygrifincottage as a novice hurdler, and I thought his was a really taking performance at Haydock, where he jumped with the sort of elan you love to see from a novice. He will also relish the trip and softening ground, and in my view rates a good bet at 11/4 (Ladbrokes) to turn-over the jolly.

Last edited:
Paddy Power Chase, Leopardstown, Tuesday 27th December.

Usually in a big field handicap chase like this I try to think outside the box, but on this occasion I reckon Ain't That A Shame should run with a good favourites chance.

His second to The Big Dog when pulling nine lengths clear of the third reads well, with The Big Dog winning next time out. The Big Dog runs with a live chance in the Welsh National off 158, so I fancy Ain't That A Shame is handicapped to win a big handicap chase like this off 144.

Apparantly someone said on here the other day that Henry De Bromhead's horses are coming back in form.

I will wait until after final declarations but Ain't That A Shame can go close.

Last edited:
Interesting race is the Kauto Star. Difficult to see past McFabulous, but the Skelton pair could be anything. Grassy has already made the case for Ballygrifincollege and you could easily argue that Galia Des Liteaux was equally impressive at Bangor and the second there has gone on to win. Gino Bello looks to have bags of potential, too.

Can’t see the other two amounting to much, although Thyme Hill is high class over hurdles which hasn’t translated to chasing yet, mainly down to very awkward jumping. If they’ve managed to get to grips with that he might come on a bunch.

Last edited:
There's a few I like potentially running. Dalamoi in the novices handicap at Kempton, Fortunes Melody at Wincanton (finally going the right way round) and Empire Steel in the Meyrick

I think Henderson must be having a serious stab at the last Kempton race - he’s got six entered atm :)

Thanks Reet and that would have been my guess with there being no GB or Irish Racing Christmas eve or day.

Nicky and Champ who's apparently raring to go will probably prove me wrong but I have got one of those feelings.

I've called him a pig, shouldn't be allowed on a racecourse , has a screw lose but I have a feeling Goshen could win the Long Walk Hurdle.

Don't ask me why I have no idea but it could be something to do with too much Leo Beer:blink:

Last edited:
I've had a look and overall it's a bit meh. Only bets to go with Eldorado Allen are Fortunes Melody at Wincanton and Teddy Blue dropped in class at Fontwell (standout 5/2 at 365.)

A few alerts for monday.
Cruz control 125 NC 2/1
Toronto 238 winc 25/1
Art approval 305k 14/1 hasnt shown much chasing so far.
Whatsupwithyou 340k 20/1
Bugle major 520w 10/3
Baldomero 410w 4/1
Callisto king 105mr 9/2
Hesbehindyou 1205h 7/1

Welsh national
Movethechains 25/1 not certain to get in.trained by Gary Moore and since he started winning has gone up 40lbs and is still out of the hcap.

I'm not sure if the declarations for Kempton on Tuesday will be tomorrow or more likely Boxing Day?

Anyways, a couple I hope to see run are No Ordinary Joe back over hurdles. He was third in a Greatwood that worked out really well and he can get back to winning ways over hurdles in the 3.40.

Also keen to see Thunder Rock in the Wayward Lad Novices Chase in the 1.20. I reckon he is a big likely improver over fences and would be running with a live chance, even though his form so far has been in handicap chases.

I'll look to stick these in a patent and small win treble with my other fancy on Tuesday Ain't That A Shame over at Leopardstown in Ireland.

Last edited:
Also keen to see Thunder Rock in the Wayward Lad novices chase. I reckon he is a big likely improver over fences and would be running with a live chance, even though his form so far has been in handicap chases.

I think he's going for the Dipper instead.

Eh? He's not in the Dipper mate.

Adrian Heskin booked on him for the Wayward on Tuesday. I reckon he runs there.

Last edited:
I see Phoenix Way could run at Chepstow on Tuesday in the 1.05, Euro. I was waiting to see him this season. He was so impressive when he won that race last season, when he had Fanion back in second. Kevin Brogan booked for the ride on Tuesday. I'm tempted..

Back