Dan Skelton and Paul Nicholls primed for two-week title showdown with Willie Mullins

Expect Skelton to have a couple of very good days at Ayr this weekend. He always targets the meeting.

So too does PFN but whether he has the ammo this year isn't as obvious.

With Hendo back in form expect him to have a good meeting too, by the way.

I think there are 23 NH meetings left in the UK season. That means maybe 160 races with the majority worth less than £10k to the winner. Win and, importantly, place money in the big races at Ayr and Sandown is likely to be decisive.

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/racing/participants/trainers/

This shows the latest state of play. Usually updated the morning after but doesn't show an 'as at' date/time.

Last edited:
I think now Hendo is back he's gonna take a fair amount of prize money of Nicholls and Skelton.
Mullins is a shoo in I'd say.
Come Sandown one of Gaelic Warrior/El Fabiolo will come over surely.
I'd imagine Willie will be sending plenty over this weekend too.
Pretty obvious it will have an adverse affect on Punchestown though.

Won't make much difference to my bets, particularly if any of them have multiple runners in a race, I always swerve those races.

El Fabiolo going to Sandown for a big title race prize...They say Jonbon could scupper the plan. Wouldn't me my duty is to my owner not another trainer...Nicky should take the bull by the horns and head straight to Ireland and plunder their prize

El Fabiolo going to Sandown for a big title race prize...They say Jonbon could scupper the plan. Wouldn't me my duty is to my owner not another trainer...Nicky should take the bull by the horns and head straight to Ireland and plunder their prize

That was my thinking too. With WPM sending plenty to the UK that surely leaves opportunities at Punchestown for UK trainers. Will any have the cojones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think now Hendo is back he's gonna take a fair amount of prize money of Nicholls and Skelton.

May be a bit early to say Hendo is back. Apart from Peaky Boy all his runners at Cheltenham and Ayr this week have performed well below expectations. None more so than Doddiethegreat who looked like he was going to be involved in the finish only to go out like a light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't rule Nicholls out of it.I'm amazed that he is running a horse of the calibre of Stay Away Fay in the Scottish National -I would have thought that Newbury in November was an obvious target.

I wouldn't rule Nicholls out of it.I'm amazed that he is running a horse of the calibre of Stay Away Fay in the Scottish National -I would have thought that Newbury in November was an obvious target.
Far from the 1st time he's gone all-out in the end of season joust for the title.

Wpm has a huge advantage having the best 2 miler. Coming over for the richest race on the card at Sandown..next best is the Whitbread but none of the 3 look to have an outstanding chance in that. No doubt Willie will have a couple of others ready to pounce...zI thought Dan Skelton had a chance but he and PN need a miracle now

Wasn’t it him who got in the ridiculous state with Martin pipe a few years back where they were both running horses who should have been put away weeks before because they were so desperate to win it?

He ran in the race five weeks after the Champion Chase. It wasn't like he was turned out week after week. Awful that he struck into himself on the day, but that didn't happen because he was chasing a championship. It could have happened at any stage.

Wasn’t it him who got in the ridiculous state with Martin pipe a few years back where they were both running horses who should have been put away weeks before because they were so desperate to win it?
Martin Pipe ran dozens of young horses on concrete type ground that won and many never saw a racecourse again...Talk of blood doping among other trainers and jockeys were pretty constant back in the day.....the truth or Jealousy who knows but many behind the scenes disliked the man.

Back