Flat horses to note for the season

Results above.

And tomorrow:

SHANROE - (Killarney, 19:10)

timeform
1 win from 2 runs this year. Won 6-runner minor event at Galway (14.1f, good to soft, 15/8) 20 days ago. Booking of Whelan a plus. Another bold show likely.

non-runner

ST VINCENTS GARDEN - (Leopardstown, 18:55)

timeform
Very good 9 lengths sixth of 14 to Gregory in Queen's Vase at Royal Ascot (14.2f, good, 22/1) 64 days ago, barely adequate test. Cheekpieces on 1st time. May well do better.

3rd/7 14/1 -St Vincents Garden was tried in cheekpieces here. He was alert early and raced close to the pace early on. He could only keep going at one pace but he might just be a more dour staying type than many of these.RP

BLUESTOCKING - (York, 15:35)

timeform
Overcame inexperience to make a winning debut in Salisbury novice last autumn. Shaped well when placed behind Warm Heart in Newbury listed race/the Ribblesdale at Royal Ascot (1½m, good to firm) before collared only close home by Savethelastdance in the Irish Oaks. Sure to be in the mix again.

4th/10 4/1 Bluestocking was finishing behind the winner for the third time this season (was ahead of her in the Irish Oaks), not quite running to the level of her Curragh second when run down late by Savethelastdance. This ground was likely as fast as she wants it and, remarkably, she's yet to win this season. RP1

FREE WIND - (York, 15:35)

timeform
Very talented mare who enhanced her fine strike rate in the Group 2 Middleton Stakes here (10f) on return. Reportedly ran flat when fifth in Hardwicke at Royal Ascot next time and easy to forgive latest run on bottomless ground. Needs considering.

2nd/10 5/1 Free Wind, who predictably found 1m6f on barely raceable ground at Glorious Goodwood beyond her, was much happier down in trip back on quicker going but having thrown down a strong challenge she was unable to get past the determined winner.She's likely to head to Ascot for Champions Day. RP1

MORACANA - (York, 16:10)

timeform
Useful mare who was better than ever when scoring at Cork in April and has continued to progress, closing all way to line when fifth in Duke of Edinburgh Stakes at Royal Ascot (12f, good to firm) when last seen. Another step forward needed, but that is possible

6th/11 11/1 -Moracana was never really travelling and presumably the ground was on the quick side for her.RP

Results above.

Running Balance: - 6.7 Points

Tomorrow

BALANCE PLAY - (York, 13:50)

timeform
Cashed in on a generous mark at the second attempt in straightforward fashion at Chester in June and improved another chunk when following up at Goodwood 3 weeks ago. Takes on his elders for the first time and he has a lot going for him.

CATCH THE PADDY - (York, 17:15)

timeform
Won a 6f course nursery last summer and good second oif 14 in 7f course handicap on reappearance in May. Hasn't built on that in his 2 outings since and now steps up to 1m for the first time.

DRAMATISED - (York, 15:35)

timeform
Decisive winner of Queen Mary last summer and improved again to see off older opposition in Group 2 Temple at Haydock in May. Raced in unfavoured centre when only fifteenth of 17 to Bradsell in King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot and no surprise to see her bounce back here. Possibilities.

HARLEM NIGHTS - (Newmarket, 15:50)

timeform
Likeable sort who found further improvement to land a 12-runner event at Doncaster last week, quickening up in good style. Solid claims under the penalty.

LEADENHALL - (Newmarket, 15:50)

timeform
Well-bred colt who took his form to new level when forging clear of Harlem Nights at Haydock last time. Could be a good deal more to come, so he's a confident choice to follow up.

MAKAROVA - (York, 15:35)

timeform
Gained her listed breakthrough win at Ayr in June and has continued in good form, 4½ lengths fourth of 11 to Highfield Princess in King George Stakes at Goodwood 21 days ago. This demands a big career best however.

PROMOTER - (Newmarket, 16:25)

timeform
Ready winner of 7f Chepstow novice last September and has taken his form up a level this season, very good fifth of 13 in 10f handicap at Epsom in June. Ran no sort of race at Goodwood 8 weeks later but likely to bounce back.

FAYLAQ - (Hamilton, 18:55)

timeform
Twenty-four runs since last win in 2019. Twelfth of 18 in handicap (18/1) at York (10.2f, good) 41 days ago. Looks vulnerable

BALANCE PLAY - (York, 13:50)

HARLEM NIGHTS - (Newmarket, 15:50)

LEADENHALL - (Newmarket, 15:50)

Balance Play beaten never travelled out the back in a big field York handicap. I've had two tracker horses this year (Eeetee and Al Jasor) who have been beaten in similar races there and won nto.

The Leadenhall/Harlem Nights race went perfect. Both were too short to back, they went no pace and neither could pick the winner up. Hopefully these defeats will be factored into their prices next time.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for winners who score by 3+ lengths going away, I want them to win by a length and a half after leading close home - the Stewart Simpson method in essence, the first and best punting book I've ever read. Things change though and one thing I've mentioned here already is wide margin(ish) handicap winners are not going up enough, seen this time and again this year.

This came home to roost today. Silver Sword who finished between Torito and Balance Play at Epsom absolutely hosed up in a Ponte Sunday Series handicap subsequently dropped to a mile. He won by 3 1/4 and went up 7lbs. Nowhere near enough. His next outing was at Goodwood in the slop, ignore that. Today he won again back down to a mile beating Catch the Paddy who I had at 14s and 16s. If he goes up 10 for Ponte or even 9 I reckon CtP wins

Sorry, guys. I’ve had a bit of a turn so I won’t be able to post for a bit (temporary I hope).

Runners tomorrow

York - COVEY, EHRAZ, GAASEE, HAVE SECRET, MORACANA, MR WAGYU, ORAZIO
Goodwood - NATHANAEL GREENE,
Windsor - PASSENGER

Ithaca's Arrow goes again in the 4.50 Newbury Tuesday. I think he might deserve one more chance. But only on soft (the May race looked like ground was on softer side to me). Subsequent races have been on ground that definitely looked faster.

But...

Raintown runs in the same race. Could be that he similarly needs a bit of cut.

No rain forecast that I can see, and don't know if the course got any of the recent rain.

And...

Gentle Whinny runs, too. Finished in front of Doom in a Newmarket novice last Sept after a FTO promising run in a Sandown maiden.

No prices up, but there looks to be some potentially strongish competition for all three.

Last edited:
Ithaca's Arrow goes again in the 4.50 Newbury Tuesday. I think he might deserve one more chance. But only on soft (the May race looked like ground was on softer side to me). Subsequent races have been on ground that definitely looked faster.

But...

Raintown runs in the same race. Could be that he similarly needs a bit of cut.

No rain forecast that I can see, and don't know if the course got any of the recent rain.

And...

Gentle Whinny runs, too. Finished in front of Doom in a Newmarket novice last Sept after a FTO promising run in a Sandown maiden.

No prices up, but there looks to be some potentially strongish competition for all three.

There was a little bit kicking up, possibly helped Ithaca's run a nice race and looking like he could come and win a furlong out, when the horse on his inside seemed to take a sideways attempt at a bite. Ithaca's snatched briefly, but it may have been enough to stop a little momentum.

Gentle Whinny didn't run.

Raintown, pretty sure it still wasn't soft enough and he couldn't go through with a run, fading to finish well down. Another day on proper soft beckons, and this won't have done the odds for that any harm.

I’m overwhelmed by all the good wishes and messages. Really lovely, thank you one and all. I suppose it’s a bit strange to count people as friends when you only know them in the ether on an internet site. But friends you are.

Anyway, back home after a few days wired up in cardiology unit, blood pressure rebalanced and all ok now. Will try and catch up tomorrow on what’s been happening to our runners.

One runner tomorrow:

ROYAL CHARTER - (ParisLongchamp, 15:08)

Last edited:
I’m overwhelmed by all the good wishes and messages. Really lovely, thank you one and all. I suppose it’s a bit strange to count people as friends when you only know them in the ether on an internet site. But friends you are.

Anyway, back home after a few days wired up in cardiology unit, blood pressure rebalanced and all ok now. Will try and catch up tomorrow on what’s been happening to our runners.

One runner tomorrow:

Good to see you back Bar.

I kind of think Royal Charter might be worth a go in this listed race. The fav (Loliwood) was behind another British horse Quick Change (also in tomorrow's race) at Deauville at the beginning of the month. Quick Change won a handicap off 78 at Haydock earlier in the season. I have the second that day, another Haggas inmate called Five Towns, in my tracker but he hasn't run since. Royal Charter won her handicap on the July Course off 84 so I'm sensing the standard of these Frenchies isn't that great.

One runner tomorrow:

There is nothing strange about counting people as friends on the internet Bar. You have a lot of people who know you here now. You keep well chap, some good people on here who know all about having shitty health happen to themselves. When that happens, people on here will always wish you well. All the best chap.:cool:

Catch up:

BALANCE PLAY - (York, 13:50) 10/14 3/1f
CATCH THE PADDY - (York, 17:15) 2/11 15/2
DRAMATISED - (York, 15:35) 13/16 16/1
HARLEM NIGHTS - (Newmarket, 15:50) 3/6 9/4
LEADENHALL - (Newmarket, 15:50) 3/6 10/11f
MAKAROVA - (York) 4/16 40/1 nice
PROMOTER - (Newmarket, 16:25) 5/5 17/2
FAYLAQ - (Hamilton, 18:55) 3/14 12/1

York - COVEY, 11/11 28/1
EHRAZ, ]3/17 10/1
GAASEE, NR
HAVE SECRET, 7/14 8/1
MORACANA, NR
MR WAGYU, 9/17 9/1
ORAZIO NR
Goodwood - NATHANAEL GREENE, 2/6 7/4f
Windsor - PASSENGER WON, WON, WON 3/1

Well, we had a York disaster with just the one winner mostahdaf @ 3/1 and four decent priced places (don’t count for our balance) so leaves our runners is plenty of catching up to do. I hardly like to post the running balance :surrender:

Running Balance: - 16.7

Last edited:
Tomorrow

OPEN TO QUESTION - (Navan, 17:40)

timeform
Twice-raced gelding. 9/2, fifth of 12 in maiden at Leopardstown (12.8f, good) 72 days ago. Back down in trip.

FINAL WATCH - (Sandown, 13:50)

timeform
As good as ever when scoring at Newmarket but not in same form there following week, possibly finding the race coming too soon. Type to bounce back after a break.

GAASSEE - (Sandown, 15:00)

timeform
Back on the up when fourth in the Old Newton Cup at Haydock on penultimate start. Didn't find much for pressure when filling the same position in a 7-runner Ascot handicap since but he still rates one of the more likely types here.

KERDOS - (Beverley, 14:40)

timeform
Two from 2 over 6f last term and cracking effort in the 3-y-o 5f handicap at Royal Ascot in June when just touched off after drifting left inside the final furlong. Shade disappointing at York next time but latest fifth of 11 in a Group 2 at Goodwood was highly respectable and he's not discounted.starstarstar

SHANROE - (Chester, 15:20)

timeform
Veteran Irish raider proved he retains all ability when winning 6-runner minor event at Galway (14.1f, good to soft) 29 days ago. Emphasis on speed here looks likely to suit.
TIME LOCK - (Craon, 16:52)

Although I nominated Kerdos for this with handicaps in mind (and if he'd won the 5f 3yo one at the Royal meeting the thread balance would be almost in the black) I like him in the Bullet tomorrow. He ran a cracking race last time at Goodwood and the betting for this race is a bit off. Apollo One is fav yet all his form this year is in big field 6f sprints, I do respect Silkie Wilkie but in a small field event like this I'm ok with 4/1 (bigger on Betfair).

Back