How many times have you thought, I have had enough of this game.

EC21

Apprentice
I am talking about betting on horses alone and having a bad spell, and thinking, can't do this any more.

For me it must be 100s through the last 40 years.

I often wonder how reslilient backers of horses are, they must be very resilient to start again after thinking .. f**k this. Or is it just that obsession and gambling addiction are the same thing?

I don't believe I am a gambling addict, I can go a long time with not betting, then I get an angle to work and have a go again. I don't think that is addicted. I just think I like a challenge, I want to find a new angle and then see if I am a clever arse:D

Do you change your methods if you are doing poorly? or do keep the same methods and believe it will even up?

I admit, I am changer if p1ssed off enough with the results that my genius new angle turns out to be sh1te.

I wish I could spell resillient consistently:D

Last edited:
I think everyone has times when luck just isn’t going their way. Some years at Cheltenham I have had some amazing results (best year managed 15-16 winners!) but equally I have had some bad years and I stomp around in a strop.

But I do only bet small amounts and it’s for fun rather than profit. Likewise I don’t really like giving tips as I would prefer to be responsible for losing my money rather than anyone else’s! Those that make money at this game do so by watching racing day in day out. I remember years ago going into an office of a professional tipster. He had multiple tv screens and recorded every race (this was pre computer days) and had several people analysing the races. Judging by the house, cars and the fact that he had several horses in training I imagine he was quite good at it!

I can remember packing up twice.
First time was when my good thing was beaten by a horse that was miles out of the hcap that had never won and the other time was when good thing got beat by a 100/1 that mysteriously died 3 days later.

I've said a number of times on this forum that I know I will pack it in one day and I see that day coming ever closer. Being in Spain for a month has seen me operate at a fraction of normal as far as betting is concerned and it isn't annoying me too much that I'm not thieving a point or ten here and there on relatively small bets. The only really big bet I've had in the three weeks to date I've been out here was on CR in the National. I'm not going to say it paid for the month's all-inclusive holiday for the two of us but it reaffirmed the joys of winning the big one (especially when it could be called the winner at halfway).

I've maybe said on here, "I've had enough of this game," but can't remember so doing.

I do often reply when asked,"Do you win?" that if I wasn't ahead financially and wasn't enjoying the hobby then I wouldn't do it.

That's enough for/from/of :lol: me...

Was sort of thinking about this the other day, though in a slightly different context.

When I'm bored, I sometimes like to trawl through old Forum posts from way back - just for the hell of it. There are so many posters from, say, 10 years ago, who haven't posted in a long, long time, and it got me wondering as to why. I suspect many of them no longer have the time or inclination to do so - probably the majority, as life comes at you fast - but I did wonder if some of them had shot-out, and had stopped betting altogether as a result.

After Punchestown, that will be me done on the horses for several months. If I do have a bet, it will probably at Market Rasen and Galway for their big summer Hurdle and Chase races, though as I don't even look at the Post website during those months (and only occasionally look in here), I often end-up missing both meetings. During the summer, I restrict myself to betting on F1, so I'll average bets every other week or so.

I've no real inclination to pack things in, and truth be told, it has never really occurred to me to do so - even in the middle of a bad run. Keeping the faith and trusting your instinct, usually sees you emerge from these periods sooner rather than later.

I thought my enforced sabbatical from betting whilst here in Madeira would be a blessing since I could spend the time with more thorough reviews of results and filling of my notebook. In fact, I have found that I seem to need the stimulus of betting (or the prospect of it) to set me off doing any such studying, which seems odd.

So, apart from enjoying the racing itself, I conclude that my enjoyment must come from the financial vindication of my judgement. It’s not as if I’m in it to make significant money (I haven’t the balls to bet on that scale), but winnings must turn me on. It also explains why I get more upset losing a fiver on the horses than losing a twenty from my pocket. Funny old world.

I’ve always loved a bet, but I have worried that it’s getting a bit out of control now that I’m betting online. It is just too easy to lose consecutive races and before you know it, I’ve lost… £10-£15. That is the reassuring thing for me: I don’t go mad. Even when I’m pissed, I am only ever small stakes. The most I have ever had on a horse is £25, so even if I keep losing it won’t break my bank. I had my worst Cheltenham ever in terms of lost money, but even in my very worst form I was still able to recoup half my stake, by only taking calculated risks.

Once and on my birthday as well. I backed the second in this race, a Luca Cumani handicapper who'd been very impressive on his previous start, and I actually cried
when he got caught on the line.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/2/ascot/2010-05-08/504344

I thought I'd had enough and considered taking a break, at least for the flat season, but instead I did a deep dive into my bets. I've always done my figures April to April, in part because of the tax year, in part because the National was my starting point with betting and in part because if you do them by the calendar year the Jumps season is split in two. I'd lost overall the previous two years (2008/09 and 2009/10) and the Mabait loss was at the start of the flat season and much like now I was badly in need of a winner (2022/23 also a very bad year that would have been my worst ever by a long way saved only by Justin Jefferson and the Kansas City Chiefs.)

Anyway, I discovered I was pissing money away backing short priced and long priced horses in Group races on the flat but between 4/1 and 8/1 I was mustard. So I tightened up and since then I've been more streamlined certainly in the summer. Last season was my first losing one on the flat for half a dozen years but I've put that down to short term variance. **** happens.

Coming back to Mabait. He won his prior start before the Victoria Cup defeat at Sandown by 3 and half lengths and went up 10lbs. I would never back a horse with that profile nowadays.

Don't think I've ever thought to give it up although to be fair I had a few years off when the children were young. I justify it by reasoning that if I supported a football team, played golf every weekend or the like it would cost me a lot more than my horse racing losses......

And then there are those times when you can come home & throw a wad of banknotes in the air in the lounge just to show off to the wife:lol:

I do try to have a day off from listening to racing radio and having bets but it’s usually when I’m out for the day anyway and can’t access it. Then I’ll get home to find that one of the trainers I follow eg Sheena West, Sarah Hollinshead, Phil Kirby have had a huge priced horse win or place. I miss having to think through my betting and then driving to the nearest bookies to place my bets. I think a huge increase in petrol prices put paid to that and at least having an internet account is better for the environment. I like the chat on racing radio as well. I used to read books but can’t remember the last time I read one. It really is getting out of hand, to be honest.

Never to be fully honest but

When HF lost in the champ hurdle after months of entertainning the possibility and laughing at anyone who dared to think different, it felt like a what is the point of all this

That was the closest I think

I also consider mysef lucky to date that the 10-15 horse that have made my life the happiest, all retired in tact and not a sad ending on the track

Me neither although I always ease off during the flat season, though not to Grasshopper levels.

Ironically, or maybe not, I only started profiting from racing when I didn’t need to about 20 years ago so despite what would seem a fairly excessive annual staking plan I’m fortunate in that it doesn’t matter too much win or lose and there’s always another day. Plus, my job can be stressful and racing is my escape.

I was playing golf recently with a couple of racing media gents and we talked about pros & cons of turning pro and my opinion is, it would be the worst thing imaginable. a) Your hobby is no longer your hobby, b) the income, no matter how successful wouldn’t come close to the day job.

IMO, the way to approach betting is treat it the same way someone treats golf, going the theatre or whatever. Set aside a monthly amount you are prepared to pay for that enjoyment and even if you lose it all, be grateful you experienced it - life is too short and you spent it on what you enjoy. Profit is just a bonus but do something with it each month, book a holiday or whatever.

And I know this thread wasn’t after advice but anybody who does not keep a financial record of their betting activity really needs to.

If you’re at the point where you’re considering giving up racing/betting then, in the nicest way possible I’d suggest it isn’t racing that’s the root of the problem.

IMO, the way to approach betting is treat it the same way someone treats golf, going the theatre or whatever. Set aside a monthly amount you are prepared to pay for that enjoyment and even if you lose it all, be grateful you experienced it - life is too short and you spent it on what you enjoy. Profit is just a bonus but do something with it each month, book a holiday or whatever.

If I thought I was losing monthly on the scale of playing golf etc, I'd have given it up years ago.

If I thought I was losing monthly on the scale of playing golf etc, I'd have given it up years ago.

Me too since I never played it;) I will play any of you at pool though, £1 a game. On saying that, my eyes are not what they were:blink:

Some good postings on here by the way:cool:

Last edited:
Back