Ian Davies

Ian_Davies

Amateur Rider
I have always believed that what a person has done, or been, in their lives is somewhat less relevant than what that person is doing, or is, at this precise moment.

The relevant (to this forum) details about me are that I am a 61yo punter and regular (weekly) broadcaster (via Facebook) of horse racing betting-related monologues.

I do this purely for my own enjoyment and to satisfy my passion for self-expression.

It's not interactive (there are plenty of places like this forum for that sort of thing) and I am constantly amazed whenever anyone tunes in to listen each week to my unilateral view of the horse racing world, seen from the perspective of a punter.

I encountered some really nice - and IMO witty and intelligent - people when I was a member of The Racing Forum and I hope to interact with similar such people here.

I have always believed that what a person has done, or been, in their lives is somewhat less relevant than what that person is doing, or is, at this precise moment.

The relevant (to this forum) details about me are that I am a 61yo punter and regular (weekly) broadcaster (via Facebook) of horse racing betting-related monologues.

I do this purely for my own enjoyment and to satisfy my passion for self-expression.

It's not interactive (there are plenty of places like this forum for that sort of thing) and I am constantly amazed whenever anyone tunes in to listen each week to my unilateral view of the horse racing world, seen from the perspective of a punter.

I encountered some really nice - and IMO witty and intelligent - people when I was a member of The Racing Forum and I hope to interact with similar such people here.
Ian, I seem to remember you from TRF, are you the same guy? Always interesting, sometimes controversial views. Not that I have ever been guilty of that :)

As stated, I used to be a member of TRF and IMO there are some great people there, kind, witty, intelligent and knowledgeable.

But also as stated, it's the present and the future, not the past, that counts and I am sure there are great people here too.

I look forward to reading their views.

As stated, I used to be a member of TRF and IMO there are some great people there, kind, witty, intelligent and knowledgeable.

But also as stated, it's the present and the future, not the past, that counts and I am sure there are great people here too.

I look forward to reading their views.
Yes TRF a great forum, this one is better though:p. Only kidding, both have stood the test of time, not easy now.

Greetings, Ian - it has been a while.

Hope you’re well.

Hiya Ian!

Thanks for being a member of this community. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping with this relaunch, people will start participating more - this is really a pretty awesome forum. I feel pretty honoured holding the reins of this horse (whoopsie - a horse analogy, lol).

Hi!

Thank you!

For the owner of an iphone XR which is nearly as old as I am, this mobile-friendly forum is fab and I am loving the functionality.

I have a tendency to forget that "less is more" and swamp forums with my opinions on life, the universe and everything at times but, though mindful of that, I shall endeavour to contribute - maybe mainly reactively (answering postings) than proactively (initiating threads) at least initially.

Hi Ian - good to see you on here.

I’ve read a lot of your very informed stuff on TRF, and I believe you have worked in racing journalism, is that right?

My own view is that TRF contributors are marginally better versed than TH followers. But these guys are the best - very friendly, and with a funny edge.

Enjoy your time, Ian.

Last edited:

One detail about you that is relevant to this forum is that you used to be a member on here, as Ian Davies without the underscore, until you deliberately got yourself banned. But that was quite a while ago, and maybe you had forgotten. As you suggest, maybe it hardly matters now.

Hi Len

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, that is true - and though I've never met any of them in real life there are a lot of people I like on TRF.

I am sure that will also prove to be the case here.

And thank you, walsworth, for the welcome.

Typically-kind words from you, Nathan - thank you.

I am delighted you are a member here as I loved interacting with you and the many other kind, intelligent and, in your case especially, downright hilarious and wickedly-witty people on TRF.

Turns out "Hughesey" is omnipresent as well as omnipotent - no surprise there!

Since it looks like we gained some esteemed TRF members, maybe you guys can cast a critical eye at some point and point out anything you think TH isn't doing well/covering that TRF does do well.

Welcome Ian and Nathan.

Thank you for the clarification, walsworth (Purwell).

Chaumi,

Being new here at TH in its reincarnation maybe my expectations are lower than those of long-standing members - it seems fine to me, more than fine, in fact as I really like the functionality.

Any forum is what its members make it IMO - it's interesting postings that make a forum, not what folders/sections they are in, though IMO less is more as most gravitate towards a main section, rendering the more niche areas a bit of a BBC 4, possibly full of hidden gems few ever stumble upon.

Last edited:
Used to post on here a few years ago. I wasn't banned but asked Col (RIP) to delete my account. I see a lot of the old names are still posting, which is a good sign. Liking this new, bright looking forum but haven't found where the smiley button is yet. Life can be such a trial at times (sad face smiley)

Used to post on here a few years ago. I wasn't banned but asked Col (RIP) to delete my account. I see a lot of the old names are still posting, which is a good sign. Liking this new, bright looking forum but haven't found where the smiley button is yet. Life can be such a trial at times (sad face smiley)
nice to meet you also Oldtimer

Back