It’s 2024 - Happy New Year guys and gals.

barjon

Conditional
Lot’s of racing, but I guess the going is going to be pretty horrible and I’m not keen to risk much. Musselburgh looks about the best with soft and good to soft in places. Couple there that I like.

1:10 - a couple of well thought of southern raiders occupy the favourite and second favourite slots, but they may have to give best to the canny Sandy Thompson and Benson who won it last year doing handstands.

1:45 - Park Annonciade was favourite last night and has drifted like a barge and has been overtaken by both Williethebuilder and Panjari. It should be close between those two.

Panjari, 3rd, was half a length in front of Williethebuilder, 5th, when they ran last time at Cheltenham (on soft ground). Handicapper has slightly favoured Williethebuilder, but Freddie Gingell takes 5lbs off Panjari and is good value for it. I’ll go with him, I think.

2:20 - Harry Derham likes Fidelio Vallis, but thinks he’s in the grip of the handicapper so getting some weight off with Alice Stevens. Not sure it will be enough.

Elsewhere, I took an early price (13/8) on Marie’s Rock to repeat the dose in the Relkeel despite some concern about the going ( and Bob Olinger).

I’ll also be keeping a close eye on the closing bumper at Exeter to see what Joyau Allen looks like - might be a good one by all accounts.

Well, Benson got things off to a good start, but what an earth happened next :confused:. I was right that Panjari (started favourite) would get the better of Williethebuilder (second favourite), but I wasn’t anticipating 7th and 10th! No obvious excuses.

Fidelio Vallis put things right in the next and won without seeming to need the extra weight off his back (didn’t Harry Derham have a good day - three runners, three winners).

Disappointing for Marie’s Rock, but it was good to see Bob Olinger back to his old self.

Joyau Allen looked pretty decent winning the bumper - for what I could see in the gloom anyway - so will keep an eye on that one.

Decent day overall thanks to the support cast.

Back