Jumpers Notebook

barjon

Conditional
I guess we are all (except reet :)) pouring through various Jumpers to Follow lists/publications and will get even busier once the Stable Tours start coming through. You’d need an extremely large notebook to include everything, but I thought it might be useful to note anything that particularly catches your eye.

Monmiral Paul Nicholls

PN expected big things of him last season and he was highly tried. Still a maiden novice PN says if there’s a better maiden over fences anywhere in Britain or Ireland, I’d like to know who it is. Reportedly, the plan is to win a beginners chase in the Autumn and then aim him at the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham in November.

(As an aside, there’s a well thought of one starting out today at Perth. Lucinda Russell’s El Elefante)

Last edited:
(As an aside, there’s a well thought of one starting out today at Perth. Lucinda Russell’s El Elefante)

4 from Ireland to beat, BJ. Three of which could be anything - a Sholokhov, a Walk In The Park, and a Soldier Of Fortune. All with 1's. Interesting race with all likely to see more wins in future. They just might be too tough to crack for El Elefante at this stage.

I'll be watching for the first run back from Back On The Lash, on goodish ground over 3m+ hopefully.

And another Malinas - will be nice to see The King Of Ryhope run up a sequence that ultimately takes in March and April. Which will make Maruco happy!

Henry Daly has at least two novice hurdlers from last season that will pick up Class 2/listed 3m+ chases over the next 2-4 years.

Last edited:
Just a wee thought...

Would it be possible to amend the title to refer to the season in case it ends up going on forever (a bit like myself...)

4 from Ireland to beat, BJ. Three of which could be anything - a Sholokhov, a Walk In The Park, and a Soldier Of Fortune. All with 1's. Interesting race with all likely to see more wins in future. They just might be too tough to crack for El Elefante at this stage.

Won in a canter, chaumi, lot more to come there, I think.

I guess we are all (except reet :)) pouring through various Jumpers to Follow lists/publications and will get even busier once the Stable Tours start coming through. You’d need an extremely large notebook to include everything, but I thought it might be useful to note anything that particularly catches your eye.

Monmiral Paul Nicholls

PN expected big things of him last season and he was highly tried. Still a maiden novice PN says if there’s a better maiden over fences anywhere in Britain or Ireland, I’d like to know who it is. Reportedly, the plan is to win a beginners chase in the Autumn and then aim him at the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham in November.

Damn;thought it was a Xmas shopping thread.:lol:

I’m looking forward to seeing Sonigino go chasing also from the PFN yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice start, BJ. You just have to keep it up till the end of next April now :)

Lucinda's on fire, too. A winner, two races the winner and the second, and the only one that got beat (Haut Estime, fell) was the one she was most bullish about!

Etalon (novice and open handicap chasing), and Glorious Fun (novice and handicap hurdling), are thought to be the best handicapped in Dan's yard at the moment.

Then there's a horse to come back after his little injury who's also still thought to be very well handicapped. Jefferys Cross won't be back until perhaps as late as March, when we plan to qualify for the final of the race he won last year, and then after the final at Haydock on to the biggest summer pot at Uttoxeter. Perhaps via the Aintree summer meeting this year. He had a minor tear which we'll delay scanning for now. He needs quick ground to be at his best, so we don't need him back for pre-training until Christmas for the qualifier that'll be no more than a run to bring him on because he always needs it.

Monmiral Paul Nicholls

Was a big fan of this one as a juvenile and expected him to develop into a Champion Hurdle contender and Arkle winner.He wasn't able for the big boys and he disappointed me over fences.Giving the form a second look it wasn't too bad Jonbon and The Real Whacker both had excellent seasons and the race at Sandown was messy.Maybe he will be like his stablemate Clan des Obeaux who had an incredible amount of disappointing runs before putting it all together in some style.

One to keep on the right side of is Lucinda Russell's Geovinco.

Stepped up to 3 miles for the first time at Perth in April he went off the outsider in a 6 horse race at 10/1.

Never out of a canter he treated the others with total contempt and won without turning a hair by 12 lengths, goes on any ground.

Lucinda's on fire, too. A winner, two races the winner and the second, and the only one that got beat (Haut Estime, fell) was the one she was most bullish about!

Another well thought of out today. Mofasa 2:15 Worcester. He was with Michael Scudamore, but joined PFN when he upped sticks to join Lucinda Russell. If he’s as good as they say 6/4 looks a steal. (On the other hand that might be my run finished, Chaumi, before the season’s even started :lol:)

(On the other hand that might be my run finished, Chaumi, before the season’s even started :lol:)

LOL. Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh, BJ. That's a fairly rare occurrence!

I'm pretty sure we'll all have a significant number of losers in the next 6-7 months, so definitely no pressure :)

Not him no, he's in an earlier race on the card. I'll certainly have an eye on him now.

It's Ned Tanner who's form with Latitude from Kelso reads very well and I thought he ran such an eye catching race over way too short a trip the last time he ran behind Richmond Lake at Haydock.

CAPTAIN TEAGUE (IRE) 5 b g Doyen (IRE) – Dancingwithbubbles (IRE)
An exciting prospect who won an Irish point for Colin Bowe before we purchased him privately. Still immature last year, he suffered with sore shins before winning on his first run for us in a bumper at Plumpton before Christmas. We then ran him in the Grade 1 Cheltenham Festival bumper and he ran a cracking race in third considering we hadn’t trained him hard for it. He jumps very nicely and, provided the ground is suitable, he could reappear in the Grade 2 Persian War Novices’ Hurdle at Chepstow (13th October). If not, we will find a suitable two and a half miles novice hurdle in the Autumn. It wouldn’t surprise me if he emerged as a live contender for the Grade 1 Challow Novices’ Hurdle at Newbury (30th December), a race we have won the last three years. Nicholls.

Appeared on his hurdle debut in the Persian War last Friday as suggested and won it well against more experienced opponents. Jumping was a bit iffy, but appeared plenty more there and obviously one that Nicholls rates.

One to keep on the right side of is Lucinda Russell's Geovinco.

Stepped up to 3 miles for the first time at Perth in April he went off the outsider in a 6 horse race at 10/1.

Never out of a canter he treated the others with total contempt and won without turning a hair by 12 lengths, goes on any ground.

Well thought of by Lucinda Russell:

GIOVINCO (IRE) 6 b g Walk In The Park (IRE) – Whyalla (IRE)
I am a big fan of the sire and we bought him at the Cheltenham December Sale having won the third of his three runs in Irish point-to-points for Michael Griffin. The progress he made last spring was remarkable because he took a while to settle into his new routine. Derek (Fox) rides him all the time and has done a fantastic job with him. A wide margin winner over hurdles at Ayr and Carlisle, he then produced an even better performance to win a Listed novice hurdle over three miles at Perth in late April. He made all the running on his first two starts over hurdles but benefited from getting a lead at Perth and was very impressive. An exciting prospect, he will go novice chasing starting off over two and a half miles before stepping up in distance later on.

Last edited:
Transitioned from the flat now. First tracker (new one) of the year is Sure Touch who had his first run over fences last Wed at Ludlow. He didn't jump that well early on but warmed to his task as the race progressed and almost caught the short priced winner on the run-in. That rival, a John McConnell inmate, had some nice bits of form over summer in Ireland and so granted normal improvement, and possibly a step up in trip (he had form over further when hurdling) I think Sure Touch can pay his way.

El Elefante........Damn I missed this as I was coming back from holiday on this date. I may have flagged her up last season as I watched her go through the sales ring at Cheltenham in January and was really taken with her. I then spotted she was related to a pointer I used to ride called El Hombre Del Rio. LR was advertising shares for her on Facebook and if I’d had the money I would have definitely bought in. She’s a beautiful mare and they think a lot of her.

Last edited:
Back