Monday 15th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
Yesterday was blogoff day for me as I wound down after the Aintree festival. Overall, I enjoyed that immensely. As I said before, to see and enjoy the sport is the main thing and expectations of any win scenario shouldn't really be entertained.

Racing on Saturday was the real deal and, by and large, my selections were not disgraceful, I thought. My Ew lucky gave me three places(6th,2nd, 3rd) to show a level return on the stake: not bad for four races where my horses were in with a shout in all but one. The big disappointment was King Of Ryhope, who had an absolute mare, jumping very badly and out with the washing. I do wonder what was responsible for the wheels coming off. My first feeling was that he didn't stay; after all, he'd only ever won at around 2m 4f before but looking at the breeding it just does scream 3m to 3m+. Then, perhaps, the going: maybe he just couldn't jump out of the drying ground: too sticky? Lastly, maybe he's beginning to develop 'ideas of his own', as they say, and could need a visit to Blindsavers in the form of optical assistance, if you get my clunky meaning.

My two main bets of the day were scuppered. Military Tycoon was a Nr and maybe that was just as well since he race was won by another having their first go in a handicap: Love Of Neymore giving Robbie Llewellyn a winner on his favourite course. I have a feeling that connections of MT may have felt that there were those in the race who were unexposed and would leave their horse vulnerable or maybe they thought the ground had dried out too much. Anyway, I wait to see what transpires with this one.

Etalon didn't get in the frame unfortunately. This was a major step up and maybe he was just found out by the class but I shan't be deterred since the big positive to take out of the race was his jumping, which is just superb and, rated at 142, there's lots of fun to be had with him. I had the feeling that he just ran out of puff after his break. The handicap door, though, is still wide open. he'll make a lovely second-season chaser if they put him away now.

The National was what it always is for me, unsolvable. I'm afraid Stattler was never going in last place and was PU to put him out of his misery. Mr Incredible was nurtured into the start, having been kept away from the others before they lined up but he didn't get a good start at all. Still, the jockey, sensibly, took his time and the horse had gradually improved his position when, unluckily and infuriatingly, he was crashed into by a faller and unshipped his jock. At least another of mine, Galia Des Liteux, managed to give me a small return by placing after jumping the fences admirably all the way round.

Today's racing looks unattractive to my NH eyes. The Kelso 3.00 would be my kind of race but even with just the six horses, it looks a tricky one . I wouldn't want to risk any of my shekels but I have had a study and, if I was reckless enough to bet, I'd have a look Ew at the outsider of the field, Helly Up A King. The 7/2 about Charlie Uberalles looks just bad value, given the ground; he needs a good surface. Although No Risk Des Flos ran on last time out over 3m at Sandown, I'm not convinced he needs this 3m trip. That Sandown race was a slowly run affair and all of his winning has been over shorter. You Own Story is a curious runner. Second in the Scottish National last year when favourite, he's entered there again. I can't think they'd run it today and on Saturday. If that is the plan, then I'd think that getting a penalty for winning here wouldn't be the best outcome. It seems to me that, on the book, Helly Up A King has pounds in hand over the 2/1 favourite Val Dancer but is seven times the price. Helly Up A king also seems to be on good terms compred to the 6/1 shot, Prince Des Fishaux, too. Trainer Alexander has had three winners from his last six runners, by the way.

All in all Helly looks one Helly of a good Ew price here at 14's.

I look forward to one of my favourite races of the season, The Scottish Grand National on Saturday; I like the Ayr spring meeting. I don't think I'll be too much involved with the fading NH season in terms of studying on a daily basis. If one of my noted horses pops up, I'll have a look to see if conditions are right for it but apart from the Ayr meeting, The Swinton card at Haydock and the Bet 365 at Sandown, that'll be me for the season.

With the flat, I'll be having a watching brief, mostly, to see if I can start a good notebook for the season which doesn't get underway, for me, until Royal Ascot.

Lucinda on Your Own Story...."He will have come on from his reappearance second at Newcastle last month and a good run here will set him up perfectly for a tilt at the Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown or a long-distance handicap chase at the Punchestown Festival"

Oh. Thanks Chaumi. That's instructive. I wonder if " A good run here" probably doesn't want to be a winning one so they can keep his mark intact, do you reckon?

Yes, wins even with the saddle slipping. Was backed from 14's down to 13/2. The stable's in rude health isn't it.

Back