New site opinions?

Tanlic

Senior Jockey
I wish it was still called the Schweppes Gold Trophy:)

Take a bit to get used to.

Thought I had responded to the wrong post but then saw "click to expand"

Other than that so far so good

My thoughts would be generally positive. It's certainly more mobile friendly and I can do everything I used to do.

Not so sure about the colour mind you... 😉

In terms of the colour. I believe we can offer different options. So should you not like the default green, each member of the forum could override it with another option that we setup. @MisterB would be able to confirm this though

Still not comfortable with it but will persevere to an extent. Fortunately it's a very quiet time for me studying- and punting-wise so not too bothered but it does strike me as incredibly cluttered but I'm only one user among hundreds and if it turns out not to be for me so be it. (I know that would please a few people :))

Bryan has already brought in collapsable forums, which has reduced the number of forums on display ( see screenshots below of the old VB forum ) but I am sure there is more that can be done to alleviate the change somewhat.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19.15.35.png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19.15.47.png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 19.15.57.png

I also note we have some new posters who are also really helping my enthusiasm to contribute more
Activity is definitely on the up, in terms of number of registered members logging in, to the number of posts being made every day. But there is still more that can be done :)

Yes, just to chime in, I'm not finished yet. 😅

What we now have is a functioning forum, but there is a bit more to do. One thing is to set up a users guide on what you're able to do in the forum, and what tools are available. Like bookmarks, tagging threads, etc.

I should have more time this upcoming week to jump in once more. I'm on the road at the mo' (actually on a plane) heading to my place in the boonies, and it'll be a choice time to work on it a bit.

As for new signups, it's going very well. With the old forum, we'd have about 100 new spam accounts daily, with maybe one or two real members every fortnight or so. Sometimes one a month. Since we relaunched a couple of weeks ago there's been about 30 new real members. This is without any active SEO going on. So I'm really happy with that. :thumbsup:

I absolutely cannot fault it - of all the racing fora I've ever been on this one is the most pleasing on the eye and has the best functionality.

After the initial interest in this new brightly coloured talking house, the talking has quickly reverted back to a whisper.I think many of the people that have been on here for years and have met other members may be keeping in touch and chatting in general via the PM facility?

In terms of the colour. I believe we can offer different options. So should you not like the default green, each member of the forum could override it with another option that we setup. @MisterB would be able to confirm this though
Just to mention, there are three flavors of this forum layout: green, red and blue. I chose green as a default since I personally thinks it's the most appealing. I can make these available for all, but need to test first. 👍

Still not comfortable with it but will persevere to an extent. Fortunately it's a very quiet time for me studying- and punting-wise so not too bothered but it does strike me as incredibly cluttered but I'm only one user among hundreds and if it turns out not to be for me so be it. (I know that would please a few people :))
I agree with you about it being cluttered -ultimately it is all about the quality of the posts.

Small thing but none of the currently pinned topics should be there. "What are you backing today?" and "The longshot thread" are two that may as well always appear at the top; I think that would be a consensus view. Maybe the antepost thread too as well as horses to follow; basically anything which will be active for a continuous period.

Would probably also make sense to have a mod who can pin currently important threads like the monthly antepost competition selections.

Would probably also make sense to have a mod who can pin currently important threads like mine.
I know Bryan wants to take on moderators, but in the meantime, let me know what needs to be pinned and what doesn't and I can do it. Talking Horses is hosted on my server, so I am here whenever needed. I also get emailed whenever I get sent a Private Message, or if there is a response to a thread that I have contributed in, such as this one :)

After the initial interest in this new brightly coloured talking house, the talking has quickly reverted back to a whisper.I think many of the people that have been on here for years and have met other members may be keeping in touch and chatting in general via the PM facility?
Based on what I am seeing in the backend, the actual posting activity has increased substantially. Graph of number of posts for the past month below.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 11.59.29.png

Back