Newbury

barjon

Conditional
Here we are then, my favourite meeting even though the Hennessy is but a shadow of its former self. Bit beyond me now, but I’ll settle in my armchair and wallow in warm memories.

First up is Jeriko Du Reponet in the opener. All the talk is of him being destined as the next superstar and I’m agog to find out if he deserves the billing. Never a bet at 4/11, but a race not to miss.

12:40 the favourite Djelo ran and jumped well to win at Aintree a couple of weeks ago and is the proven performer. Nicholls and Henderson launch chase debutantes and can never be discounted here. Again, it’s really one to watch to see how those get on, but I did like the Djelo run.

1:15 Just a watch

1:50 Hermes Allen has the class to win this quite comfortably if he takes to fences. Don’t much like short priced first timers, though. Nickle Back has won a couple by miles, but this is a top table assignment and much, much tougher.

2:25 the likely favourite Kandoo Kid was beaten out of sight by the aforementioned Nickle Back so how he goes will be informative.

3:00 another short priced favourite in Marie’s Rock here, but I can’t see her being beaten.

3:35 Hyland has won a couple of nice races quite well and was 3/1 favourite for this at the open. Slipped to 5/1 at the moment which is off-putting. I don’t back drifters, but I can’t see anything else I’d rather be on, although Espoir De Romay might be an ew possibility if he can bounce back from the last poor run. Mmm.

Well, what did you think? Jeriko Du Reponet breezed in without Nico moving a muscle and despite looking novicey, but doubt there was much there to beat. Need to see some more, really.

Djelo put his experience to good use, but I wonder if we’ll see him beat Persian Time again when (if) the latter’s jumping improves.

Class showed for Hermes Allen, but Nickle Back was clearly at home at this level, which boded well for Kandoo Kid who duly delivered.

Marie’s Rock was disappointing. Henderson seems happy that she stays the 3 miles, but I’m not so sure. Oops, who am I to quarrel with the Master :D

Hyland ran an ok third, but probably in the grip of the handicapper for now. (EDR would done a tad better if Gavin Sheehan had hung on to his whip :D)

Let’s hope we get some racing tomorrow and that euro’s nightmare scenario doesn’t come to pass.

Last edited:
Back