Punchestown Festival 2024

edgt

Senior Jockey
There will be one less WPM trained horse in every race this week owing to his overseas duties.
That said , plenty of horses to go around.
Rumours abound that Rachel may call it a day this week to start a family and appear on Dancing With The Stars.
Whatever happens, it is a week to enjoy and meet up with familiar faces.
Plan to travel Tuesday , pack a brolly or raincoat.

There will be one less WPM trained horse in every race this week owing to his overseas duties.
Rumours abound that Rachel may call it a day this week to start a family and appear on Dancing With The Stars.
The same rumour last year (minus the DWTS), though it seems to have more legs this time around.

I am obviously very much looking forward to this meeting but, in an era where the Cheltenham Festival gets annual flak for having been extended from three to four days - this one is over five.

If there is quality dilution at Prestbury Park there is surely even more here.

Should be cracking nonetheless.

Plenty of dilution at Punchestown, but it has a different feel to it than the others. Despite a mix of graded races and lower quality stuff, it has an end of season party feel to it, so Punchestown doesn't have to pretend to the the Cheltenham Festival or the DRF. I've been a few times over the years and I just love it for what it is. All the better when we have a warm dry spring, so I suspect I've dodged a bullet not going this year 🌧️🌂

It has back the favs written all over it as in Gallopin Des Champs Gaelic Warrior Lossiemouth State Man

I should add not in single I meant in trebles and an accumalator

Anyone got any stats on favs who won at the Cheltenham Festival at this meeting please?

My instinct is to take on anything that had anything resembling a hard race at Prestbury Park and after all Fastorslow floored the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner and runner up last year.

I Really like Slade steel but on this faster ground over minimal trip, he can be taken on.

The mare over the boys in the championship chase looks a very good chance also

HdB doesn't have a great record at this meeting -with the exception of Sizing Europe.When Sizing won there as a novice butler Henry was so worried by the form of his horses that week that he travelled up in the horsebox.
The Landrover bumper tomorrow is red hot -I got two tips this afternoon-one backed from 9s into 5s -the other 66s into 12s.Unfortunately I didn't have a penny on.

3.05 paddy's milestone win 9/1.decimation e.way 50/1 same race.
4.15 call me lyreen and samui e.way both 33/1.champion chase dystart dynamo e.way 20/1 Banbridge win at 9/2.
And in the 6.00 sharjah. 14/1.for me this is the best bet of the whole week.if it runs anywhere near to its last run,then cant,see anything else in the race to trouble sharjah.also had e.way doubles with sharjah and dystart dynamo, alsocall me lyreen

Punchestown is both the end of the winter season and the start of summer jumping. It also has a few relics of tradition in the form of the races over the banks.

I am a huge fan of Irish racing. The big fields suits my each way betting. Rachelle deserves to retire and protect her body ready for starting a family and go milk her fame for everything she can get. I'll post my bets for the meeting later and would love to see others bets.

I like that Punchestown this year bridges the gap between the end of the 2023-24 UK Jumps season and the start of the 2024-25 one on Saturday afternoon/evening.

The Landrover bumper tomorrow is red hot -I got two tips this afternoon-one backed from 9s into 5s -the other 66s into 12s.Unfortunately I didn't have a penny on.
Assume the bigger one is Sellerna Bay - a Mount Nelson youngster. Drifted a little since last night.

AP Ryan riding, had a nice win on Ike Sport at Sandown few days ago.
Couple of other MNs ran well in the Newbury Spring Sales, most notably Green Splendour running a highly promising 4th (Big Ginge was the other one for NTD, coming home 7th).
Mark Fahey only 2 (wins) from 38 in bumpers last 5 years.

Won't be a massive surprise to see SB winning, but still logic says it's over hurdles where we'll likely see best.

3.05 paddy's milestone win 9/1.decimation e.way 50/1 same race.
4.15 call me lyreen and samui e.way both 33/1.champion chase dystart dynamo e.way 20/1 Banbridge win at 9/2.
And in the 6.00 sharjah. 14/1.for me this is the best bet of the whole week.if it runs anywhere near to its last run,then cant,see anything else in the race to trouble sharjah.also had e.way doubles with sharjah and dystart dynamo, alsocall me lyreen
Going to add ile alantique e.way on the 3.40 18/1 also my selection in 3.05 decimation has been backed from 50,s into 18,s.

Takes a good horse to run well at all three spring festivals
Good point IMO - not sure anything in any of those three 2m Grade 1 Novices' Hurdles is worth more than circa OR150 as it stands, but this horse has run its race in all three of them.

Assume the bigger one is Sellerna Bay - a Mount Nelson youngster. Drifted a little since last night.

AP Ryan riding, had a nice win on Ike Sport at Sandown few days ago.
Couple of other MNs ran well in the Newbury Spring Sales, most notably Green Splendour running a highly promising 4th (Big Ginge was the other one for NTD, coming home 7th).
Mark Fahey only 2 (wins) from 38 in bumpers last 5 years.

Won't be a massive surprise to see SB winning, but still logic says it's over hurdles where we'll likely see best.

SB was indeed the 66/1 shot.The trainer thinks he is a really good horse and he was responsible for getting Jezki ready for his Champion Hurdle victory.

Banbridge winning today at 6/1 gave me a break even day.sharjah let me down big time.but made money off the horse at Ayr.
Tomorrow's selections.
2.30 ballywilliam boy e.way 66/1.park of Kings win.
Gold cup hewick and appreciate it both e.way 40/1 and 14/1.
6.00 embittered e.way 40/1 the goffer e.wY 8/1.and Idas boy win. 7/1.
6.35 mozzies sister .20,s long gone now 6/1. I managed to get 10/1 earlier.

Last edited:
SB was indeed the 66/1 shot.The trainer thinks he is a really good horse and he was responsible for getting Jezki ready for his Champion Hurdle victory.
Let's remember that over hurdles next season, especially if he bombs in the first couple and we can get a big price around the third.

Back