Sandown Classic Trial

Ian_Davies

Amateur Rider
I particularly like - and frequently attend - Friday's card at the Esher venue.

It's a cracking fixture in its own right and often packed with clues for the future on various fronts.

Best of all, I like the Classic Trial and I am still waiting for a 3yo colt to win it as impressively as this lad did in 1981:

Artaius won it in 1977, Shirley Heights was runner up to Whitstead in it in 1978, Troy won it in 1979, Henbit won it in 1980, Shahrastani won it in 1986, Old Vic won it in 1989, Fantastic Light won it in 1999, Sakhee won it in 2000, Adayar was runner up in it in 2021 and I saw Westover win it two years ago.

Agree,looks cracing card.
Not much of a price,but I like Charyn's chance in this. Gp2 winner as a 2yo,fairly blew home at Donny on ground he wouldn't favour. he's clearly fit for this,and the Lockinge entry pegs him as a miler,without the aspiration of further than most of his opponents carry.

I also thought Charyn was impressive at Doncaster.

My only note of caution is IIRC there was a strong headwind that day and I think that favoured horses that were covered up and delivered late.

I certainly think that helped the winner of the Cammidge Trophy and possibly Charyn to a lesser extent in his race.

But as Lord North isn't getting any younger and Nostrum isn't perhaps the most reliable I can see why you like Charyn.

Take your point,Ian but watching it back,he ddn't get much cover in the 7 rnr fieldand he's a hold-up horse naturally.

ps:apologies for wrong thread - senior moment

Managed to get 5s on Charyn when prices were unveiled. Happy with that now and I've had a Nostrum/Dance Sequence double which covers both Charyn and my Fallen Angel ante-post bet from the Autumn.

Very strange betting in the Gordon Richards Stakes ante post market

Antepost

Desert Hero 13/8

Israr 7/4

Tomorrow

Desert Hero 4/1

Israr 3/1

Someone got their lines crossed

Despite all the accolades, I wouldn't go near Arabian Crown for the Derby.
Looks every inch a Leger candidate, and I'd be amazed if he's got the speed for Epsom.

He certainly looks one-paced and connections surely know it - why else would Buick be so determined to lead?

I think it was a fair performance, but you'd think he'd need to improve to be at a Derby-winning level most years.

However, eventual Derby-winning colts often do improve through the spring.

Shirley Heights and Adayar both got beat in this race and Troy only win it a neck - time will tell.

Comparisons are generally odious to me, as no two horses are ever completely alike, but I did wonder that too, Luke.

I saw Slip Anchor win the Heathorn Stakes at Newmarket in 1985 in similar fashion, though the time was much more impressive as it compared well with Oh So Sharp in the 1,000 Guineas that day.

Back