Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

Guest_

At the Start
I was going to open a thread up on the Juddmonte International but then I thought another will probably be opened for the Irish Champion Stakes after that etc and all these races are likely to be tied into Sea The Stars. So perhaps keep it all to this thread?

Good piece in the Racing Post today. The International, followed by the Irish Champion Stakes (18 days later) followed by the Arc (ground permitting) and then the Breeders Cup looks the targets. The Japan Cup and Hong Kong races were ruled out. Also mentioned that rumours are abound that Coolmore have also put offers in for the stud rights to the horse, not just Sheikh Mo......interestingly though the thought of standing him in the Irish National Stud (his birth place) was also mentioned - that is something I could see happening.

So the International is next - Mastercraftsman worked at Tipperary yesterday after racing and O'Brien confirmed him on target for York. Do we see him giving Sea The Stars much of a race? Firstly is he guaranteed to get 10 furlongs? Looks as though he needs it and there is hope in his pedigree.

Any other likely contenders?

Do they specify which BC race? The Classic?

I think Mastercraftsman is capable of offering Sea The Stars as much of a test as he's encountered so far. Handles any ground, seems to be able to sustain a relentless gallop, likes a battle, and Ascot suggested that further won't be a problem. But, he's probably not quite good enough to beat him.

Do they specify which BC race? The Classic?

Yeah the Classic.

I agree, at 10 furlongs he is Ballydoyle's best chance of beating STS but whether he is actually up to beating him is another matter. The track should suit him though and you'd think it will be STS trying to pass him to win it rather than whats previously been the case with Fame And Glory and RIP having to pass STS to win it.

Last edited:
MCM's run against Delegator leaves me thinking STS will beat him..as brave and classy as MCM was..he should have beat Delegator easier to be beating STS ..who beat Delegator easier at Newmarket and STS will probably be better suited to 10 than MCM

its still a cracking race though..MCM is a real tough horse...he showed that last time.

I did hear rumors from a usually very well informed source that he would return to the Irish National Stud. but of course that was after hin Guineas win, and sure enough with so much more money involved now this might not longer be the case. would be great though.
really looking forward to see him in York. fingers crossed its on, let alone "ground permitting"!

Given his ideal conditions, there is no horse in training that can beat STS. Given less than ideal conditions, same probably applies

I am certain that STS has more ability than he has shown thus far, given his slight tendency to idle in front.

All that could defeat him is the effect of a long season. but i sene that wont come untilo later on....if at all

Spot on EC1. As I thought at the time of the gunieas, STS is a near middle distance horse with class to win over a mile. the fact that he beat delegator a little more comfortably (granted that D didnt have perfect run) is pretty relevant

I see he's entered in the QEII. Would make for an interesting alternative if the ground rules him out at Leopardstown. Falbrav dropping down in trip to trot up in this remains one of my favourite performances of the last few years.

O'Brien confirmed Mastercraftsman for the Juddmonte, Fame And Glory for the Irish Champion with Rip Van Winkle sticking to a mile now with the race in France and the QEII as the likely targets.

I am hoping if Mastercraftsman goes very close or even beats Sea The Stars at York - then he could go to the Irish Champion. If not it really does appear as if they are keen at pitching Fame And Glory in against him again over 10 furlongs. I hope they a change of heart and go for the Niel.

Which race in France - Jacques Le Marois or Moulin? I'd guess the latter since they don't often run one in the former.

O'Brien confirmed Mastercraftsman for the Juddmonte, Fame And Glory for the Irish Champion with Rip Van Winkle sticking to a mile now with the race in France and the QEII as the likely targets.

I am hoping if Mastercraftsman goes very close or even beats Sea The Stars at York - then he could go to the Irish Champion. If not it really does appear as if they are keen at pitching Fame And Glory in against him again over 10 furlongs. I hope they a change of heart and go for the Niel.

I think they will leave the Arc at Leopardstown. Fame and Glory's best chance of winning the Arc is the scenario described by you.

Which race in France - Jacques Le Marois or Moulin? I'd guess the latter since they don't often run one in the former.

He did not say but I would presume its the one Henry got beat in last year? Would prefer them to skip it with him, give him a break then go for the QEII, Breeders Cup mile and the Far East.

I think they will leave the Arc at Leopardstown. Fame and Glory's best chance of winning the Arc is the scenario described by you.

It's a worry and stops me topping up. Suave Dancer won both races, but he won the Irish by about fifty lengths I seem to remember.

Regarding Rip Van Winkle's plans and another crack at Sea The Stars, O'Brien added: "We're never afraid of one horse and the plan for Mastercraftsman is York [Juddmonte International] and we've Fame And Glory for Leopardstown [Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes] so this horse has France [the Pix du Moulin] and the QEII."

This seems to be an attempt to cover the 1m2 base for Fame and Glory, which seems to suggest he will be retiring at the end of the year (if he were to win the Arc). Much easier options over 1m2 next year for him I would have thought, and races which won't interfere with winning the most prestigous race in Europe.

There was some discussion about the difficulty of winning both the King George and the Arc; I know it's not exactly the same comparison due to the differences in distance between the Irish Champion and the King George, but I would say that it must be more difficult to do the Irish Champion/Arc double, mainly due to the proximity of the Arc, but also due to the fact it's often a slightly better quality field.

I would be surprised if any of the main colts (bar Mastercraftsman) retired this season.

Number 1, they all look the type to do better next year but also (and probably most importantly) they are likely to be going head to head with Sea The Stars somewhere in Ireland in his first season and he is going to be the buzz horse.

Roll on York. Today's race certainly didn't disappoint and now hopefully the Juddmonte will be an epic.

I'd certainly be surprised if Fame and Glory is retired at the end of the season. He looks tailor made for a 4yo campaign. The Prix Ganay, the Tattershall Gold Cup and the Prince of Wales Stakes would all be good chances of picking up a Group 1 at 10f or 10 1/2f.

Hoping the weather plays it's part now and we get decent ground on the Knavesmire come the Ebor Meeting. I am really looking forward to Seeing Sea The Stars in the flesh.

From the sounds of things Tartan Bearer will probably be lining up in this as well....the Juddmonte that is.

DROP IN TRIP NO CONCERN TO O'BRIEN

By Anita Chambers, Press Association Sport

Aidan O'Brien is relishing the prospect of a rematch between Sea The Stars and Fame And Glory in the Tattersalls Million Irish Champion Stakes.
John Oxx's all-conquering Sea The Stars had Fame And Glory back in second when supplementing his 2000 Guineas victory with success in the Derby at Epsom, before adding the Coral-Eclipse to his haul.
Fame And Glory has since gone on to land the Irish Derby in Sea The Stars' absence, but O'Brien is not running scared of the undisputed star of the current Classic generation.
"Fame And Glory is very well and came out of the Irish Derby well and the Irish Champion Stakes has been the plan since," he said.
"Dropping back down to 10 furlongs isn't an issue with him, he has so much pace.
"It should be a true test and hopefully the best horse over the distance on the day will win."
Sea The Stars is set to head to York for the Juddmonte International Stakes before making his first appearance on home soil since winning the Beresford Stakes at the Curragh last September.
Oxx said: "He came out of the Eclipse well and he had a little break afterwards.
"We just stepped up his work in the past week, and he is on schedule for the Juddmonte International at York on August 18.
"After that, the plan is to go to the Irish Champion Stakes. It's a great race, it has a great history, it's at home, it's our Champion Stakes, and we have been lucky enough to win it a couple of times (with Timarida in 1996 and with Azamour in 2004).
"They usually have good ground there and that is important to Sea The Stars. He won his maiden on soft ground and he won the Beresford Stakes last year on yielding ground, but at this level now, he does need good or fast ground.
"He is expected to run to a certain level now and he needs good ground in order to do that.
"He was lucky enough to get his ground in the Guineas, the Derby and the Eclipse, so hopefully it will be the same for the Irish Champion Stakes.
"The opposition is tough, Fame And Glory is a very good horse, a stayer with a turn of foot. It should be a great race."
Sea The Stars and Fame And Glory may be the headline acts but there are plenty of other top-class runners among the possible supporting cast.
O'Brien has also entered Irish 2000 Guineas Mastercraftsman and Sussex Stakes victor Rip Van Winkle but they are set to head for the International and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes respectively.
Sir Michael Stoute has three potential representatives in King George runner-up Tartan Bearer, Princess of Wales's Stakes winner Doctor Fremantle and recent Goodwood winner Zacinto.
Luca Cumani has entered Cima De Triomphe, who contests Saturday's Arlington Million, while Henry Cecil's sole possible is Twice Over.
Jim Bolger sent out New Approach to glory in 2008 and has Gan Amhras this time, while Dermot Weld has entered the Tattersalls Gold Cup winner Casual Conquest and runner-up Famous Name, as well as Mad About You, who goes in the Beverley D Stakes at Arlington this Saturday.

Dropping back down to 10 furlongs isn't an issue with him, he has so much pace.

He should wait and see what happens in the International first. If StS leathers Mastercraftsman he surely won't take him on again.

Talking of nonsense, anyone else aghast at the utter tosh Julain Wilson came out with in the RP feature on StS today:

...but he's not yet in the greatest horses league because we haven't seen one of those breathtaking performances where he stretches clear.

When I first started punting i read that Wilson earned lots from betting and was very shrewd. All i've ever read has been rubbish.

Back