Sunday 28th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
A quick entry with more to follow.

I will have a small interest in one today, as I lay my undercoat for the flat season's full gloss. I shall see how I get on with these initial brushstrokes.

I'll enhance the day's blog later on since I'm just about to leave, in order to say farewell to members of the family who return to Oz today after a month in the UK.

Have a look at the 3.40 at Southwell and see what you think. I'll be doing:

Tenerife Sunshine - 3.40 Southwell 9/2 Ew

I'm liking the look of this, for although the top weight looks to be the one to beat here, I feel that Charlie Johnston's charge looks like one typical of the stable's profile. He ran on late last time out over the distance and is now perched off bottom weight with Franny Norton aboard, tipping the scales at his lightest possible weight of 8-2.

This may turn out to be one of those Johnston improving stayers.

Last edited:
Just back in time to see the race above and I'm having a rueful chuckle to myself. It's a difficulty, isn't it, watching a selection being urged along after a quarter of a mile, struggling in last place for all of the race, still in last at the 3f pole yet finish fifth of the nine runners. Doubtless, the race commentary will read: "Always in last place, still last 3f out, moderate headway 2f out, never nearer." When they lay me to rest, six feet under, that legend shall be chiselled into my headstone: 'Late headway, never nearer' ha!

I was surprise by the riding here. I was, sort of, expecting Franny to perhaps do what he does best: set out to make the running. Should I bother to pay any attention to the horses next run, I might expect some eyewear to be fitted and then to be asked to make all.

Still, it's early doors and a reminder, if needed, that it's the replays that need to be monitored at this time, nothing else.

Last edited:
It might be helpful if, in future, selections I have backed are written in

bold blue and speparated

as above. Others, perhaps ones I've noticed but not backed, will be in unboldened blue and included in the text, without separation. Just for clarity and FYI đź‘Ť

Not too bold, I hope, BJ

I try to remember::

"The stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell.

Back