The Champion Hurdle 2010

Guest_

At the Start
Aside from the fact Hurricane Fly will blow them all out of the water, am I leaving out any contenders?

Hurricane Fly - Hattons Grace possible?
Binocular - likely to start in the Boylesports Hurdle - due to travel to Ireland as well.
Solwith - Hattons Grace possible?
Punjabi - Newcastle's Fighting Fifth?
Celestial Halo - presumably he will turn up in the Boylesports Hurdle as well?
Go Native - winner already but no chance on form with Hurricane Fly.
Zaynar - will surely need further than two miles.

Cannot see anything else to seriously shorten up between now and Cheltenham.

You reckon Hattons Grace for Hurricane Fly, Gal? I would have thought the Maplewood might have been on the agenda?

I'd be of the opinion they will keep him to 2m on season opener so that would rule out Hattons Grace

I do not think the trip makes a difference to him - it might actually be a starting point for Quevega though so perhaps Punchestown is the better option.

In my experience horses that fail to make it to Cheltenham or are unlucky at the festival have their best days elsewhere.

In my experience horses that fail to make it to Cheltenham or are unlucky at the festival have their best days elsewhere.

On that basis you will oppose HF?

Thanks for that news Diamond.

Last edited:
Quevega would be my only idea of a challenger from Ireland to Hurricane Fly's procession. Find it hard to see Solwhit managing to run as well on a sound surface as he does on softer ground and Go Native has already seen a fair bit of the Hurricane's back end last season so will be unlikely to get near him this time.

Very left field and I'm not sure of the exact entry criteria age wise for the Champion Hurdle but JP McManus bought the top 3yo Hurdler in France Temple Lord during the summer, for reasons known only to the powers that be at the BHA the Triumph Hurdle is only open to "4yo Novices" (which is every 4yo in training in the UK and Ireland). Interesting because he's had a fair few strolls in the park around Auteuil in the past 6 months and is owned by someone who would clearly like another Champion Hurdle win

FWIW, Timeform believe that Binocular has no stamina issues, and felt he may have been left a touch short for the Champion, due to the snow which held-up Henderson's horses in February.

They figure he is great value at the current 6/1.

Looking at the Ascot race and the Champion Hurdle, for some reason Binocular didn't look quite the same horse. Given where he came off the bridle and the little distance he was beaten, I don't think he was beaten for lack of stamina.

Whether he's a good price at 6/1 or not I don't know because I've given up ante-post betting.

FWIW, Timeform believe that Binocular has no stamina issues, and felt he may have been left a touch short for the Champion, due to the snow which held-up Henderson's horses in February.

They figure he is great value at the current 6/1.

I hold the same opinion.

Aside from the fact Hurricane Fly will blow them all out of the water, am I leaving out any contenders?

There are a few of last years novices who could fine the improvment with age. Medermit. Agree Hurricane fly looks a bit special.

Medermit almost certainly going novice chasing I reckon, Sheikh.

And I like him as an Arkle prospect, I have to say.

If you had to price up a draw no bet match bet market on who will line up for the Champion Hurdle in March would Binocular not be at the very least a shade odds on over Hurricane Fly. I cant remember the last Champion Hurdle winner not to run at the festival the previous year.

Back