The Gold Cup 2010

Guest_

At the Start
Contenders...

Kauto Star - turns out at either Down Royal or Haydock
Denman - racecourse gallop then the Hennessy
Cooldine - no word on him yet
Notre Pere - entered at Punchestown next week so presume Down Royal is also an option

Any other plans for any of the others?

Sounds like it's Haydock for Kauto going by what Nicholls was saying the other day, followed by the King George and that's it until the Festival.

I like to look beyond the likeliest winners and shortest priced horses for a bit of value and notice that Aran Concerto (who showed a lot of promise in his Fairyhouse win) is at similar or even longer odds than the likes of Cappa Bleu, Imperial Commander and Big Bucks. That just isn't right, and so i've punted him for small money at 50s.

Aran Concerto is perfect for this year's Durkan Chase. I hope Nicholls sends something really decent over to make him a fair price - trip and ground will suit and Meade's are generally in great form around then. Hard to back him antepost though given his past problems.

Hard to back him antepost though given his past problems.

Abolutely, but I think that's factored in with the price. If he gets there I see him being the main challenger to the front three as I don't see Notre Pere as a Gold Cup horse.

Notre Pere just falls short at the very top level so not a contender for me. Aran Concerto has a lot to prove to me before he will carry any of my money. Look forward to seeing Cooldine again. His performance in the RSA last year was magnificent and i just hope that the race wasn't his pinnacle

Notre Pere doesn't have a prayer of being anywhere near a Gold Cup horse.

I agree about Aran Concerto.

Cooldine the bet at this stage. No horse goes on for ever, and as imperious as Kauto looked in March, Cooldine posted the most impressive Sun Alliance win in years (including Denman's) and will surely be in the shake up.

Do I think Notre Pere can win a Gold Cup? No...but if it did come up testing not many would beat him...type to continue to improve this season.

I love Cooldine to bits and would like to see him given the softly softly approach again this season. The clash of Cooldine, Notre Pere and Denman in the Lexus Chase will be well worth seeing.

Aran Concerto is perfect for this year's Durkan Chase.

I'm quite sweet on Joncol for the Durkan, I have to say. He will almost certainly be a backable price if Aran Concerto is in the race.

Not sure about the Gold Cup. All things being equal, it should be between the Nicholls pair - Cooldine has too much improvement to make to trouble them, I reckon, and you couldn't fancy Notre Pere unless it was bottomless.

If the gun was put to my head, I would be backing Denman at this stage - purely on price.

This is a bit left-field and he's probably out for the season seeing that nobody has mentioned him yet but I always thought Glencove Marina would be perfect for a big staying chase. Any news on when he's back?

Initially he was due back last year and I remember connections saying he wouldn't be rushed back in preference for this season. I just cannot see it after being out so long now

I hope that I am wrong mind

If the Sun Alliance hasn't bottomed Cooldine i'd have him anyday over Denman right now

I gather from a stable source that Alberta's Run is showing distinct signs of coming to hand again, having been rather disappointing last season after winning the Sun Alliance chase in 2008.

Last edited:
Cooldine will not be up to winning a Gold Cup. I would lay him at current prices. Its not a race that egnites the imagination at this stage. The Durkan is probably one of the races I always look forward too when the NH is back and going by this thread Im not alone.

It really wouldn't surprise me were Kauto Star to come unstuck at Haydock, I can't see the new course suiting any galloping types. The jumps track has been decimated by the ridiculous amendments made to the track in laying the new straight course and as a result it's pretty much only suitable for greyhounds. It's insane what they've done to the course, they've sacrificed the NH track for it. It is so tight now it's crazy and it'll be very interesting to see how the jumpers handle it. I've not been to Musselburgh but I'd hazard a guess Haydock's bends are now even tighter!

Does he need to go to Haydock with the Betfair bonus gone? Id have thought any race will do to get him spot on for boxing day.

Has the Nicholson been totally written-off as a prep race for Kauto? Would be a fantastic event if he, Cooldine, Notre Pere and a few others were to line-up.

I love the race - it's been a great addition to the calendar, imo.

Just out of my own curiosity - The Haydock race was a Betfair benefit. The race at Exeter was a Best Mate benefit. Besides the Charlie Hall what were the traditional races for Gold Cup horses to open their campagin?

As things stand, the decision as to where we start off will depend upon when he's ready and the going and things like that. I wouldn't be worried about going back to Haydock. Things didn't go right last year but they've made some changes to the track, which will suit us.

Crikey - I wonder has he seen Haydock as it is now?!? It resembles a greyhound track!

Back