TV coverage

Have the Goodwood executive got something against the ITV team?

Having their people host the morning programme in that foul weather is ridiculous. For all I dislike Chapman, I wouldn't wish that kind of ordeal on my worst enemy.

The Mayor woman really annoys me to the point that I can't watch her, hence I'm on the laptop with the programme on in the background. Her facial expressions and vocal acrobatics are 'way OTT. Is she auditioning for a girning contest? (Are there any odds going? I reckon she'd just about win.)

Last edited:
Have the Goodwood executive got something against the ITV team?

Having their people host the morning programme in that foul weather is ridiculous. For all I dislike Chapman, I wouldn't wish that kind of ordeal on my worst enemy.
Absolute totally idiotic to make them do it outside.... it then made the programme even more of a waste of time than usual as it dominated the show.( I only watch while the adverts for The Bill are on mostly, honest. )

We should have opened a book as to how many mentions of the Antipodes FC would mention today... I think we’re up to 374 so far? :whistle:

Steve Cauthen interviewed on ITV just now so I can forgive them their FD lovefest. Cauthen still as quality as ever and when asked which the best horse was that he rode in the UK, answered Oh So Sharp, by far. I loved that filly so much that I once bought a yearling simply because she walked past me at the sales and looked the spit of her. Sadly my filly (by Definite Article) was the most fragile horse going and only managed to run once but it was a run full of promise finishing second in a bumper (way off Oh So Sharp though! :lol:).

Steve also though Mawj had a serious chance in the BC having watched her win at Keeneland last time.

He is a class act - Great to see him in one piece.Lester,Pat,Walter and Greville are gone-the demands on the body and the mind are incredible.

Yeah I agree but think he got out of the game at the right time when he realised that the weight issues were taking their toll. Always lovely too see him although I still think of him as the 16 year old wonderkid who arrived over here and promptly won on his first ride then bagged the Guineas.....I was 13 and instantly in love! :<3:

Alice ******* plonker. "They literally blew the roof off when he won last year"

No they didn't, no explosives were in evidence. They made a large amount of noise.

******* halfwit.

Alice ******* plonker. "They literally blew the roof off when he won last year"

No they didn't, no explosives were in evidence. They made a large amount of noise.

******* halfwit.

Glad I missed that. It would have bugged me too!

:lol:

This maybe me, and I accept that, but I wish they would stop bringing up the death of Kim Gingell. I felt so sorry for young Freddie today, hard enough with losing your mother at 14 , never mind people bringing it up every time they speak to him/he's riding.

A bit late in posting this but seeing Luke Harvey on the morning programme today reminded me that, despite my cringing slightly when he comes on, I do want to credit him for asking Harry Cobden the question last week that I wanted answered. In his interview with the jockey after Burdett Road's win, he asked Cobden if the Nicholls yard had anything better than it in the yard. I don't think any of the others would have asked that question.

Cobden's answer was along the lines of, "No, I don't think so," so he also deserves credit for his honesty. Needless to say, this pleased me!

Last edited:
Oh dear, Chapman at his most cringeworthy worst this morning.

Megan Nicholls and Mick Fitz don't know where to look.

How Chapman survives on this programme is beyond my ken.

I’m not actually sure how Megan got an award for “Emerging Talent” at the HWPA Awards recently......:whistle:

I’m not actually sure how Megan got an award for “Emerging Talent” at the HWPA Awards recently......:whistle:

If her surname wasn't Nicholls she wouldn't have been nominated but my experience over the years of those awards are they are a closed shop. Very often the best doesn't win. Bit of if your face fits and all that.

At Sandown today, Chamberlin hanging round the pre parade...only one horse came in... he then decamps to the parade ring craning down the horse walk to see who's coming... says 'this is the one we want'. I actually shouted out ' there are three other runners ITV - hello ITV - 3 other runners? No? ' Does my head in. ( Technical term)

Last edited:
Very often the best doesn't win.

This is the way of the world isn't it.

Show me a doctor, barrister, or journalist on a broadsheet newspaper who came from a working class background and I'll find you a pig that can fly.

They used to say, if you were good enough, worked hard enough and were talented enough you could make it. Sadly this isn't the case anymore for a variety of reasons.

Excessive tuition fees putting people with aspirations off studying at university, the degrees being devalued for one reason or another, (ironically often by the very people belittling them, when they benefitted from the same sort of degrees they now think are worthless) .

Then of course, there's good old nepotism at play, giving jobs to either your mates or those you believe are a good 'fit' for your company, or just plain discrimination against others who could clearly do the job, but for whatever reason you just don't like.

Meanwhile, we are also told that we adults of working age need to upskill!? Oh the irony..

Anyway, I am going off on a tangent.

Last edited:
That's incredibly narrow-minded, Marb, with respect.

Show me a doctor,

Two in my family alone and my.mate's wife, and that's without even starting to think of anyone else I might know.

barrister,

Our own Ardross.

journalist on a broadsheet newspaper who came from a working class background and I'll find you a pig that can fly.

The McIlvanneys

Of course there's always exceptions to the rule, DO. My find a pig that can fly remark wasn't to be taken literally.

There aren't enough of the exceptions though.

I believe that class systems exist, I really do.

I

Last edited:
I believe that class systems exist, I really do.

I

Of course they do, and especially in politics, but i don't believe for a second that the people I know are exceptions.

Much more insidious, for me, is the anti-Irish-Catholic culture that exists in Scotland. It's not as bad as it was 50 years ago but I've cited the advice/warning a family member was given not that long ago that she'd never get a permanent job as a lawyer because of her name/religion. It took her longer than anyone else in her class (in which she was the top student) but she got there.

Yes, I have read your previous posts on Anti-Irish Catholic bias before with interest, DO.

I guess my only point back to you, would be that if you see the class structure in politics, and in many ways, politics imitates life and society, then there is also class structures in society that strongly favour certain privileged people, especially in the area of the jobs market.

I didn't intend to insult doctors, barristers or journalists either by the way. I have met some interesting and decent people in each of these professions as it goes. Everyone needs a good barrister at some point in time, after all!

I was perhaps using these professions as an example of what I am trying to say.

I myself gained a 2.1 in Journalism as a mature student a few years back, having left school with one GCSE grade A-C at 16. So there is social equity, I just would like to see more of it, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I would guess if you wikied the name of every journalist on the Guardian the chances are the majority have come from working class or 'second-generation' working class, if I can put it like that, ie their parents were genuinely working class in the same way that my parents were (both left school with no qualifications, were one of seven and ten kids respectively and only one parent working).

I'm more into broadcast radio, but I wouldn't need to go through every guardian journalists background to believe in what I am saying.

You have picked up on that point I made in my first post twice now, but the other points you have skipped over.

Last edited:
I’m not even sure how you define “class” nowadays. If you use monetary criteria you come up with a different league table than if you use cultural criteria and another different one if you use power/influence and so on. I remember many years ago at some function or other chatting to a far back young man who enquired of me “Do you work?” which rather summed it up as far as he was concerned.

I'm all for a bit of nepotism. A new MD recently got appointed at my work who I'd worked with years ago. Apparently there was a meeting where he was singing my praises all over the shop - next thing I know I've got two promotion offers put to me. I took the one that paid least but was what I am best at doing (data analyst).

And all because of a connection from the past.

Back