TV coverage

Remember the City And Suburban on BBC in 2004? Little known 5-lb claimer Hayley Turner on 50/1 outsider Scottish River keep asking Dettori on favourite Blythe Knight - 'let me know when you want to go and I'll let you out'.

Wonder how their careers went?

this might be a daft question..but anyway..can jockeys hear the racecourse commentary during the race?..so if the commentator said it was a steady pace they would know to move nearer to it etc?

By highlighting this, you seem to think you are proving your point of the incompetence of the tv production crew at cheltenham.

When in fact, its perfectly plain that all producers of sports know what is important when televising the finishes of horse races. Its not rocket science.

It was a decision they made not to show a possibly dead horse fall on repeat last week that you disagree with. So be it. Not that logic will sway you on this.

It is noticeable how quick all commentators are to note that horses (in live races) are up and walking away after falls in the new look C4. I think its a clear focus from the new team.

Mick Fitzgerald is the Alan Shearer of racing punditry. Uninteresting and inaccurate. Are the Railway Fences really the most famous on any UK Racecourse. Really?

Last Saturday he highlighted that AP had got down to 10st 3lbs to ride Mr Watson, this week that Tom Scudamore has foregone a number of chances at Ffos Las to ride Goulanes at Wetherby.
Maybe he ain't quite as dumb as he seems? :)

Last Saturday he highlighted that AP had got down to 10st 3lbs to ride Mr Watson, this week that Tom Scudamore has foregone a number of chances at Ffos Las to ride Goulanes at Wetherby.
Maybe he ain't quite as dumb as he seems? :)

tbh..both these angles i looked at 20+ years ago..and yes they do give winners..but not profits.

they aren't original by any means..one of the best races that highlighted it was the cesarewitch where i noted that Willie Carson did his minimum weight and won one year..so i followed it in other years only to note that many top jocks did their minimum weight on many losers

many times jocks miss big meetings to go and ride at far flung evening meetings..and lose on their only mount

he needs to be more original than this..its like telling someone that a certain horse is today's furthest traveller..everyone remembers when they win..but forgets those that lose

the furthest traveller angle looks logical..especially when the race targetted is just a seller..again..yes some win..but they don't make profit

Last edited:
this might be a daft question..but anyway..can jockeys hear the racecourse commentary during the race?..so if the commentator said it was a steady pace they would know to move nearer to it etc?

Disspointing that no one took this one. No is the answer. I bet Paul Carberry wishes you could.

Hadnt spotted that. Absolutely no way - its hard enough when you are just in the centre of the course, let alone when youve got to concentrate or are over the far side....

Disspointing that no one took this one. No is the answer. I bet Paul Carberry wishes you could.

Not even when passing the stands?

Somewhere with enclosures both sides it must be difficult not to pick up some of the commentary. Away from the stands they clearly hear feck all.

Not with all the other noise around you (Im presuming its not Bazza and Sprinter Sacre we are talking about here - he probably can cos he can only hear one set of hooves around him!) Its suprisingly loud being in a group of horses galloping, added to the wind thats generated, and everythinhg else, Id be really suprised if they can hear clear commentry.

tbh..both these angles i looked at 20+ years ago..and yes they do give winners..but not profits.

they aren't original by any means..one of the best races that highlighted it was the cesarewitch where i noted that Willie Carson did his minimum weight and won one year..so i followed it in other years only to note that many top jocks did their minimum weight on many losers

many times jocks miss big meetings to go and ride at far flung evening meetings..and lose on their only mount

he needs to be more original than this..its like telling someone that a certain horse is today's furthest traveller..everyone remembers when they win..but forgets those that lose

the furthest traveller angle looks logical..especially when the race targetted is just a seller..again..yes some win..but they don't make profit

So, are we to dismiss every angle you don't make a profit on? :)

By highlighting this, you seem to think you are proving your point of the incompetence of the tv production crew at cheltenham.

When in fact, its perfectly plain that all producers of sports know what is important when televising the finishes of horse races. Its not rocket science.

It was a decision they made not to show a possibly dead horse fall on repeat last week that you disagree with. So be it. Not that logic will sway you on this.

It is noticeable how quick all commentators are to note that horses (in live races) are up and walking away after falls in the new look C4. I think its a clear focus from the new team.

There should have been a shot available for them to use that showed more than Katenko and less than the possibly dead horse. Which has already been stated, but never mind.

That isn't rocket science, it is quite logical (think about the majority of races at Cheltenham - are you looking back to the last fence on the run in shots?) and it most definitely is incompetence.

Unlike you, I have no hidden agenda. Merely observing. When I watch racing in TV I want to to see the sport, not the indulgent whims of a tv director who appears not to understand what sport it.

It's perfectly plain that not all producers of sports know what is important, otherwise we wouldn't get the poor coverage of some finishes or the departure from the head-on view of Bechers at the Aintree meetings.

How thick are you? I said I accepted that they woldn't want to show a stricken horse.

It is noticeable how quick all commentators are to note that horses (in live races) are up and walking away after falls in the new look C4.
...and have been for many many years, not just in the new-look C4.

So, are we to dismiss every angle you don't make a profit on? :)
Mick Fitz's jockey angles are hardly astute (he dismissed the big Ffos Las winner as Choc Thornton wasn't riding, for example), and his lack of analysis to go with his C4 tips suggest strongly that they aren't even his selections. Is he still fronting up someone else's tipping service? Jim McGrath seems to get a bit miffed at Mick's approach which is to identify the favourite and tip it, mention that he also really likes the second favourite, and simply describe the silks of any other horse he's asked about. It makes Alan Shearer look a genius, and surely can't last.

I'd agree with much of that, Rory, but he does add the odd insight from the jockey's perspective, and it's often something that hasn't occurred to his 'more sophisticated counterparts'.
The condescending Jim McGrath was quite taken aback when MG said yesterday "jockeys will often give a clue.to how they intend to ride the race by where they line up", but it's absolutely basic common sense, even though the illustrious JM had never considered it.
Depends a great deal on whether your glass is half full, or half empty..

In defence of MF, I think it's fair to say he warned us on the ML that neither Oscara Dara nor Roberta Goldback would be winning yesterday, that connections were running them to get their marks back down a bit.

Or at least that was how I interpreted his comments.

In defence of MF, I think it's fair to say he warned us on the ML that neither Oscara Dara nor Roberta Goldback would be winning yesterday, that connections were running them to get their marks back down a bit.

Or at least that was how I interpreted his comments.

Oscara Dara was one of his two nominated bets - £50 win.

Back