York(2)

barjon

Conditional
Pretty poor show for me today and I think I’ll wait until tomorrow before making any commitments. Really enjoyed the racing aside from poor HISPANIC which was horrible R.I.P. and TIBER FLOW who I hope is ok. I’ve not really looked at today’s races in detail, but I’m pretty sure that MONTASSIB is short of Group class and Dods was right about AZURE BLUE needing the run. As for FRIENDLY SOUL, she was absolutely dreadful. She did have a bit of a battle in the Pretty Polly ten days ago so perhaps that got to her physically or mentally or both.

A few I’ll be wanting to check out tomorrow:

2:15 - MARINE WAVE earned her highest rating over course and distance last season over GF going when 3rd/14 behind DESIGNER. Fahey horse are flying atm and I do like Oisin Orr who seems a real find for him.

“ She’s proving frustrating. She was left in the stalls at Musselburgh on her reappearance and never had a chance from there, eventually finishing eighth. If she jumps off on terms she should be competitive, we have her very fit and very well.” Fahey

2:45 - DUTCH DECOY went in my notebook when beaten by a nose at Newmarket on 16/4 - Should have won. Had to delay challenge stuck behind horses, went down by a nose and was ahead one stride past the post. Was a blanket finish, though. - then found one too good again last time. Will probably give another chance depending on market.

3:15 - I’ll probably just watch this one with interest.

3:45 - ANCIENT WISDOM should take this. Really looking forward to seeing him and might even take the short price.

4:15 - I won’t be backing him, but I’ll watch how SPORTS COACH goes on the expected better ground.

Ancient Wisdom is the obvious choice on the numbers - after all, he won the Group 1 Futurity at Doncaster.

But that was on Heavy ground, conditions will be different tomorrow unless we get a lot of rain and I never take it for granted any horse will train on, especially from two to three.

If the ground was definitely Good to Firm, I would like Caviar Heights, who looked highly progressive to me when winning the Newmarket Stakes in a fair time.

But there is rain forecast and, while I don't think it will be a quagmire, I do fear that dead, holding, sticky Knavemire marshland - race to watch for me.

Reckon it'll be on the quick side;as it was yesterday.
I've bet Greys Monument (18/1 5pl H[ll's) in the Hambleton as he ran so well behind group horses at Donny,on ground that wouldn't be in his favour. Has a tricky draw, but that's not insurmountable.
Imtrigued that JG runs God's Window (cost me so dear,last week) in the Dante,without the addition of headgear.
Drifted lto, and 16/1 today - maybe the market will tell a tale.

I thought it was more or less Good ground yesterday.

I think they've had a bit of rain but, unless it's more than I thought, I'm expecting it to be more or less Good ground again.

York is one of the better tracks for not overwatering, I think.

RP haven't updated their time-based going yet,but yesterday's times clearly indicate faster ground,imo.

Turftrax graphic is showing the GF ahead of yesterday and today is now out of the ground and it's G all over.

I didn't have time to write up my usual blurbs on the races but have got a few modest bets on.

2.15 - Clarendon House 7/1 & Copper Knight 12/1. I think CH is better than a handicapper but if CK could get anywhere near his better older form he'd be very dangerous.

2.45 - Northern Express 11/1. Wasn't off in the Thirsk Hunt Cup so was probably prepping for this. This is the only one I've backed so far but I've noted (card order) Blue For You, Bopedro, Navagio, Symbol Of Light, Cruyff Turn and Bajan Bandit as dangers. I can't back them all so will have another look if I get a spare half-hour (which looks unlikely).

3.15 - I agree with the market that this should be between Free Wind and Bluestocking. I thought enough of Free Wind to back her in the Arc. She has a pound advantage on ORs but I have them level. I was going to leave the race alone but decided to take 5/2 Bluestocking as she's possibly open to the greater improvement, being two years younger.

3.45 - Ancient Wisdom holds the most G1 entries, has 4lbs in hand on ORs and 5lbs on RPRs so is the right favourite but isn't my kind of bet so I'll just watch the race with interest. After the way the Balding filly won the Musidora I might look for a longshot for the sake of an interest.

Just light showers overnight here in York, which ceased an hour ago to leave an overcast sky

There seems to be some uncertainty about how far north the heavier rain currently sweeping the south will get, but my pinecone and seaweed is forecasting a dry, cloudy afternoon

Going largely the same as yesterday I reckon

Pure gold, that local insight, thank you Drone.

And DesertOrchid too.

They're coming for the mudloving Dante fav - he might not get mud, but I doubt he'll have to cope with a fast surface either.

I wanted quick ground to potentially inconvenience Ancient Wisdom and possibly assist Caviar Heights - looks like my wish won't be granted.

Ancient Wisdom is the obvious choice on the numbers - after all, he won the Group 1 Futurity at Doncaster.

But that was on Heavy ground, conditions will be different tomorrow unless we get a lot of rain and I never take it for granted any horse will train on, especially from two to three.

If the ground was definitely Good to Firm, I would like Caviar Heights, who looked highly progressive to me when winning the Newmarket Stakes in a fair time.

But there is rain forecast and, while I don't think it will be a quagmire, I do fear that dead, holding, sticky Knavemire marshland - race to watch for me.
I think Caviar Heights has a great chance today.

I need a kick in the ass I never looked to see what the ground was like at Donnie. That said the bookies do seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the ground and have pushed him out to 7/4.

He did take care oh Never So Bold on good ground who is very useful but to say he looked happy on the ground would be an exaggeration.

A little rain would help if being honest

Turftrax graphic is showing the GF ahead of yesterday and today is now out of the ground and it's G all over.

I didn't have time to write up my usual blurbs on the races but have got a few modest bets on.

2.15 - Clarendon House 7/1 & Copper Knight 12/1. I think CH is better than a handicapper but if CK could get anywhere near his better older form he'd be very dangerous.

2.45 - Northern Express 11/1. Wasn't off in the Thirsk Hunt Cup so was probably prepping for this. This is the only one I've backed so far but I've noted (card order) Blue For You, Bopedro, Navagio, Symbol Of Light, Cruyff Turn and Bajan Bandit as dangers. I can't back them all so will have another look if I get a spare half-hour (which looks unlikely).

3.15 - I agree with the market that this should be between Free Wind and Bluestocking. I thought enough of Free Wind to back her in the Arc. She has a pound advantage on ORs but I have them level. I was going to leave the race alone but decided to take 5/2 Bluestocking as she's possibly open to the greater improvement, being two years younger.

3.45 - Ancient Wisdom holds the most G1 entries, has 4lbs in hand on ORs and 5lbs on RPRs so is the right favourite but isn't my kind of bet so I'll just watch the race with interest. After the way the Balding filly won the Musidora I might look for a longshot for the sake of an interest.

Bracing myself for a disappointing afternoon on the punting front. Both Clarendon House and Northern Express are weak and I'd have to take a hit on each to cash out. I can only hope I'm right and the market is wrong.

Market drift is never great, but it worries me less in higher-grade (hence higher integrity) racing.

I suspect York market fluctuations today are driven, at least in part, by speculation about the ground.

John Quinn has brought JM Jungle along steadily running into minor places.

Apparently better than his bare form he could run well today at a big price.

Had to settle for the 7/1 I got yesterday but better that than losing. Nice ride, too, I thought, cos I was worried when it didn't go to the front early. Next stop the Dash?

I'm pretty sure I saw Clarendon House win on a visit to Bath once and that's one of the few tracks that still has genuinely-Firm ground sometimes.

So long as Andrew Cooper doesn't overdo it with the watering (he's usually worse for it ahead of Oaks Day than on the eve of Derby Day, I think Clarendon House would go well over Epsom's fast five if he can "hear his hooves rattle."

2.45 - Northern Express 11/1. Wasn't off in the Thirsk Hunt Cup so was probably prepping for this.

Money did come for NE and it ran very well but I couldn't help thinking Mulrennan wasn't really asking it for everything in the final furlong, seemingly content to remain in second place. I need to see it again.

I'll be keeping an eye on Bergerac in future. Nothing went right for him in the first race.
Missed the break, never really got a clear run till it was all over. Travelled pretty strongly throughout + came under minimal pressure, to grab 6th at the end.

Much easier than I could have imagined and has obviously improved a lot.

I'll be keeping an eye on Bergerac in future. Nothing went right for him in the first race.
Missed the break, never really got a clear run till it was all over. Travelled pretty strongly throughout + came under minimal pressure, to grab 6th at the end.
Yes he finished best of the lot.

Back