2yo race distances

Ian_Davies

Apprentice
IIRC back in the day 6f 2yo races didn't commence until 1st June (often starting with the Woodcote Stakes on Epsom Downs), 7f ones didn't start until 1st July, Nursery Handicaps didn't start until 1st August and 1m (or the few for juveniles over further) races didn't start until 1st September.

This is certainly not the case nowadays.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this, it has happened in Ireland as well. Does anyone know what is the rationale for it?

I think it was simply the first 6f race that cropped up for two-year-olds in the month of June, which was often the Woodcote.

Was the Chesham at Royal Ascot traditionally the first 2yo race of the season.
No.
Was the Chesham at Royal Ascot traditionally the first 2yo race of the season.
Brocklesby Stakes traditionally the first race . Derby winner Donovan won it in 20/03/1888 , just checked the This Day In Racing History thread from years back.
The Woodcote Stakes one year had future Ascot Gold Cup, Grand National and possibly Derby winners in the field, prompting the query if they were trained by Sir Mark Prescott .:)

Slightly (? :oops:) off topic but there is a bag of liquorice allsorts in the cupboard and it reminds me of the days when the Bertie Bassett Apprentice handicap started off the turf season at Donny many moons ago.
It meant that an apprentice led the jockeys championship for half an hour. :)

Back