2-y-os 2017

Today's first season sire runners:

Ripon 2.10

RED JAZZ - Capla Dancer (4.4) 66/1 narrow winner over course and distance on debut.

SOCIETY ROCK - Bikini Bamalaam (15.3) showed some speed on debut at Beverley but only managed to beat one home.

Leicester 2.55

DAWN APPROACH - Hadaaf (1.2), sire's first runner, out of a Cozzene mare and half-brother to Lamar (same trainer) who won a Class 2 Conditions race at Lingfield (RPR 108).

RED JAZZ - Jedi Master (22.2) didn't have the clearest of runs when 7 lengths 6/10 on debut at this course.

Doncaster 5.25

SOCIETY ROCK - Dahik (6.3) out of a Lake Coniston mare and a half-brother to the winner of 8f. Irish Listed race.

LETHAL FORCE - Angel Force (20.2) out of an Indian Ridge mare and a half-sister to three maidens.

Seems I'm talking to myself here but what the hell!

Yesterday Haddaf almost got FSS DAWN APPROACH off the mark but the 1/3 favourite proved just the stronger close home.

Today, just the one:

FINJAAN - Shesgotthelot (24.2) green on her Kempton debut, she was slowly away and behind at half-way, stayed on strongly but in finishing third sh was 10 lengths behind the useful dual-winner Corinthia Knight.

No you are not Colin. For myself. I just haven't got much of any interest to say. I will say I do believe it is going to be tough for this years new boys as we've had some excellent 2yo sires in the last few years and Kodiac remains the benchmark.
Still a great thread. Thanks for the great work you put in.

I also read every day, really appreciate the work you put into this Colin. I'm not a punter but my main interest in Flat racing is the breeding side so I thoroughly enjoy this thread - I just rarely have anything meaningful to add.

I still take a look at the Bell gallops.......you know I'm a mug to do so. He has a 2yo who is standing out a bit at this stage but for a few reasons it is difficult to say who it is. I half-believe it is Choice Encounter. He ran last week and started much too slowly but did run on. So I'm interested in his next run.
Will report on the gallops if I see anything interesting but after 2 years watching with little reward will not attempt to rate them as I did in the past.

In the good old days Paddy "Darkie " Prendergast used always give his two year olds a break so they could get some May grass before being prepared for Royal Ascot, Goodwood and the top two year old races.
Whether that happened before or after Chester depended on the horses and their engagements.
I wonder have the current crop of trainers the same faith in May grass anyone ?

Keep up the good work Colin; the close of NH season had what little attention I have at this time of year but from now on my tuppence worth is sure to be added.

Busy day today.

Naas 1.40 (6f)

DECLARATION OF WAR - Actress (12.1) is out of a Gulch mare and is a half-sister to a decent maiden.

SOCIETY ROCK - Yolo Star (15.4) out of an Efisio mare and is a half-sister to 4 winners.

Naas 2.45

SWISS SPIRIT - Hawaam (26.3) out of a Jade Robbery mare and is a half-brother to two winners, one of which is, Waady, the winner of a 5f. Group 3 at Sandown as a 3-y-o.

RED JAZZ - Mister Magic (8.4) showed plenty of speed when fourth on debut at Dundalk, finishing 9 lengths behind Dali who re-opposes here.

Beverley 1.55

MAZAMEER - Furze Boy (26.5), a very late foal out of an Emerati mare and is half-brother to 4 winners who won 37 races between them.

SOCIETY ROCK - Hot Rock (26.2) keen and held up at rear, finished well, on debut over course and distance.

SWISS SPIRIT - Time Trail (2.4) out of a Spectrum mare and a half-sister two decent winners and a useful maiden.

Beverley 2.30

HAVANA GOLD - Havana Star (21.1) is a first foal of a Camacho mare.

SOCIETY ROCK - Rockin Fella (9.4), is having his third run having finished third in both his outings seemingly better effort on debut.

RED JAZZ - Ventura Gold (27.3) was green on debut in the same race as Rockin Fella's debut, didn't have the best of runs.

Bath 4.00

SOCIETY ROCK - Rock Of Estonia (19.2) made just about all for a neck win on debut at Windsor, the third in that race won at Salisbury yesterday.

SWISS SPIRIT - Joe's Spirit (1.4) out of a Dansili mare and a half-brother to a poor maiden.

HAVANA GOLD - Ghepardo (30.4) out of a Royal Applause mare and a half-sister to a poor maiden.

HAVANA GOLD - Polly's Gold (3.2) the first foal of a Denon mare.

Three first season sire winners yesterday:

SWISS SPIRIT - Time Trail
HAVANA GOLD - Havana Star
SOCIETY ROCK - Rock Of Estonia

Today:

Brighton 2.00

HAVANA GOLD - Floss The Hoss (13.4) was a staying on fourth on debut at Beverley.

Yarmouth 2.20

EPAULETTE - City Guest (27.3) out of an Encosta De Lago mare and a half-brother to a 2-y-o winner at a mile.

Wolverhampton 8.30

FINJAAN - Shesgotthelot (24.2), green on Kempton debut, slowly away and behind at half-way, stayed on strongly for third, 10 lengths behind useful dual-winner Corinthia Knight.

Chelmsford 6.10

HAVANA GOLD - Dorcas (27.2) out of a Dansili mare and a half-sister to a poor maiden.

RED JAZZ - Arabian Jazz (25.3) out of a Alhaarth mare and half-sister to Ancient King who placed third in an Italian Group 2.

LETHAL FORCE - Asheena, green when finishing 6th.at Beverley on debut.

:lol:, fair enough.

Today's runners:

Ascot 2.00

SOCIETY ROCK - Corinthia Knight (26.1) convincing winner of both his races but difficult to know what he's beaten so far.

SOCIETY ROCK - Tangled (5.2), out of a Black Minnaloushe mare and a half-brother to two winners, one of them, Faithful Creek, was a winner of a 7f. Epsom maiden and ran well in a very competitive Newbury nursery, finishing 7th. beaten 3 lengths and returning a RPR of 106.

Pontefract 2.15

LETHAL FORCE - Admiral Spice (28.4), out of a Dansili mare and a half-brother to three decent winners.

Brighton 5.05

MAZAMEER - Milton Road (8.6), as you can see a very late foal but that didn't stop him running well to be just touched off over course and distance last week. Having his third run today.

SOCIETY ROCK - Vegas Boy (30.4), out of a Common Grounds mare and a half-brother to four winners, two of them useful.

Cheers Col, I do always look in, apologies for not always commenting. TOday is probably the day we know a bit more about this Corinthia Knight albeit a small race.

Society Rock backers look to be holding the right slips in my mind at the moment.

Today's runners:

Musselburgh 2.30

FINJAAN - Holmfirst (21.2), out of a Fraam mare and already gelded he is the half-brother to the winner of a Newcastle nursery, off a mark of 59.

SWISS SPIRIT - Shanghai Elastic (8.2), is the first foal of a Sake's Secret mare.

Last edited:
Today we have:

Cork 2.55

DAWN APPROACH - Angelique (13.2) is the first foal of an Oasis Dream mare who in her racing career failed to win in four attempts in France.

SWISS SPIRIT - Spirit Power (5.3) having his third run, in both his previous races, at Dundalk, he has finished runner-up to Sirici.

Thirst 1.55

MOST IMPROVED - Just For The Craic (25.3) is having his third run, finished a moderate third at Beverley last time.

RED JAZZ - Progressive Jazz (12.3) ran in the same Beverley race, green and finished well behind 12/12, Karl Burke has a reputation for a huge improvement in his horses for their second run.

Doncaster 5.50

RED JAZZ - Mutanaaseq (26.3) on debut at Bath he was slowly away and didn't have the clearest of runs but just got up on the post, difficult to know the strength of the form as the placed horses haven't re-appeared yet.

Mutanaaseq got home by the skin of his teeth to win for RED JAZZ.

The embryonic table:

[TABLE="class: grid right, width: 635"]
<tbody>[TR="class: rowSorting"]
[TH="class: first left, align: left"]STALLION[/TH]
[TH]WINNERS–RUNNERS[/TH]
[TH]WINS[/TH]
[TH]RUNS[/TH]
[TH]2ND[/TH]
[TH]3RD[/TH]
[TH]4TH[/TH]
[TH]WIN PRIZE[/TH]
[TH="class: last"]TOTAL PRIZE[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: separatorSmall, colspan: 10"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: first left, align: left"]Society Rock[/TD]
[TD]2-14 14%[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]24[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]£15,978[/TD]
[TD]£23,840[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: greyRow"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: first left, bgcolor: #F4F3EE, align: left"]Red Jazz[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]2-10 20%[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]16[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]0[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]0[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]2[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]£10,027[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]£11,060[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: first left, align: left"]Swiss Spirit[/TD]
[TD]2-10 20%[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]£6,469[/TD]
[TD]£23,139[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: greyRow"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: first left, bgcolor: #F4F3EE, align: left"]Havana Gold[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]1-8 13%[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]1[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]9[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]£2,588[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F4F3EE"]£7,774[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Quiet day today.

Newmarket 4.10

LORD KANALOA - Solid Man (17.4) by a champion Japanese sprinter out of a Sunday Silence mare, previous offspring achieved a RPR of 97.

Leopardstown 1.10

RED JAZZ - Mister Magic (8.4) is having his third run having only managing to beat one horse home in his previous two.

Last edited:
Today's first season sire runners:

Ayr 2.00

HAVANA GOLD - Havana Grey (12.2) showed plenty of pace when second on debut at Nottingham.

Windsor 5.50

DECLARATION OF WAR - Declarationofpeace (23.3) has run creditably in both his races, favourite when third at Brighton last time.

RECKLESS ABANDON - Haven's View (12.2) out of a Whipper mare and a half-brother to Wadigor (RPR 100) the winner of a 10f. handicap as a 3-y-o.

EPAULETTE - Merchant Marine (12.2) out of a Josr Algarhoud mare and a half-brother to two moderate maidens.

Impressive win for Havana Grey, by FSS HAVANA GOLD, as an aside I thought the 33/1 shot Shay C ran well, matching strides with favourite until fading inside final furlong.

At Windsor there was a comfortable win for Declarationoflove who is by FSS Declaration Of War.

Today:

Leicester 6.00

HAVANA GOLD - Ghepardo (30.4) close third, only beaten a length by dual-winner Rock Of Estonia, when making debut at Bath.

LETHAL FORCE - Queen Of Kalahari (25.2), fifth beaten three lengths on debut at Newmarket, both the second and fourth in that race have been narrowly beaten since.

RED JAZZ - Arabian Jazz (25.3) some support on debut at Chelmsford but managed to unseat her rider when leaving the stalls awkwardly.

HAVANA GOLD - Marchingontogether (29.4) is the first foal of an Avonbridge mare.

At Leicester yesterday Marchingontogether was quite impressive in winning on debut for FSS HAVANA GOLD.

Today:

Chester 1.50

HAVANA GOLD - Floss The Hoss (13.4) showed some promise on her debut at Beverley but didn't really step up on that when fancied at Brighton last time.

Dundalk 5.45

HAVANA GOLD - Treasuring (6.2) is the first foal of an Excellent Art mare.

Today's runners:

Chester 4.05

SOCIETY ROCK - Dahik (6.3) very respectable debut at Doncaster, showed plenty of speed and only beaten half-a-length in second.

MAZAMEER - Milton Road (8.6) becoming rather exposed but has run with some credit in all his three races.

HAVANA GOLD - Our Man In Havana (6.4) was keen on debut when finishing fourth at Lingfield.

HAVANA GOLD - Floss The Hoss (13.4) non-runner with vet's certificate yesterday when her stablemate won the race, obviously has made a miraculous recovery.

Catterick 2.05

SOCIETY ROCK - Suanas (10.3) showed very little on debut at Beverley.

Today's runners:

Lindfield 2.45

SWISS SPIRIT - Erastus (29.4) out of a Tobougg mare and a half-brother to three winners, best of these, Effie B, a sprint handicapper with four successes to her name and a RPR of 96.

Nottingham 5.10

RED JAZZ - Shania Says (23.3) out of a Shamardal mare and half-sister to Shawaahid (RPR 99) a useful handicapper at around a mile.

Ascot 6.05

WESTLAKE - Lady Alavesa (17.2) her sire is a winning half-brother to the dam of Frankel, her Namaqualand dam has produced two moderate winners.

Very informative maiden coming up at 6.05. The Haggas horse could be very good but his horses are never fully would up. I've taken way too much 6/1 e/w.

Back