2008 Arc

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Just noticed Betfar have already got a market up for this year`s renewal - way earlier than last year. And that Curlin is second favourite :eek:

Surely the race isn`t a target?

Fabre 3yo as Warbler says. Although DOM winning the Ganay is of course the route that Dylan Thomas took last year for O'Brien.

Although their recent record in the race isn't that good (a few near misses - Pride, Ouija Board, Islington etc) historically fillies haven't done too badly. I haven't really seen a 3yo this year to fire my imagination, and the only Fabre one I'm alerted to looks more likely to be a rogue time, and would send you of looking towards Freddie Heads Trois Rois anyway. From what I've seen to date, if Zarkava can get a mile at 2 with such when pulverising a good Bousacc, I'd think she merits a watching brief at this stage at the very least

Originally posted by sunybay@May 8 2008, 10:06 PM
At the moment 2 candidates:
Getaway and Soldier Of Fortune
Getaway is gonna be really overbet just like Shirocco was. Peeping Fawn for me.

A trip?

he won at Newm in a slow pace in fast ground in a canter, he has the speed and ground is indifferent, he looks top class.

I'll be amazed if he places, and don't buy for 1 second that the Guineas day was Good to Firm. To be honest, Newmarket (with the possible exception of Newbury) tends to be the most accurate in their going descriptions, but there's absolutely nothing in the times of any of the races that hinted at Good to Firm.

Haven't they significantly increased the prize money this year? Are we expecting anything to come over from the far east or other destinations?

How Democrate is (was) trading at 84/1 for this is beyond me. He's probably going to go off favourite for the French Derby on Sunday and ran a blistering time last time out in a Group 2 at Longchamp. He's also a Andre Fabre trained three year-old which should shorten his price up alone.

I'm hoping we'll start to see quotes from bookmakers after Sunday.

What stands out after French Derby?

Not sure why Youmzain is as high as 60 on BF..

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jun 3 2008, 11:07 AM
What stands out after French Derby?

surely the Franch Derby is not exactly an "Arc-Trial" anymore - no one was really bred for the trip; they all looked like Milers to me bar Famous Name ....

Perhaps, but Hurricane Run ran in the French Derby, didn't win, and won the Arc.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 3 2008, 01:59 PM
The Grand Prix de Paris is the real French Derby now...
One to watch out for is Cherry Linx, who was really impressive first time

From RP website

CURLIN faces a ban from running in the Grade 1 Man O'War Stakes in New York on July 12 due to the long-running wrangle over his ownership.

Trainer Steve Asmussen will have to seek an alternative race - which was to be his first on turf for the top-rated horse in the world - after a spokesman for the New York State Racing and Wagering Board said the winner of more than $9 million will not be allowed to run there until all his owners are licensed in the state.

That presents a problem as minority owners William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham (who campaigned Curlin under the banner of Midnight Cry Stable) are on trial for fraud related to a case involving a diet drug and could be denied a licence "in the best interests of racing."

Cunningham and Gallion and another former attorney, Melbourne Mills jnr, are being tried in district court in Covington, Kentucky, for allegedly taking $64-million of a $200-million diet drug settlement that should have gone to their clients.
Cunningham has not had an owner's licence in New York since September, said Dan Toomey, a spokesman for the racing and wagering board.

Cunningham and Gallion own 20 per cent of Curlin. Jess Jackson's Stonestreet Stables owns the other 80 per cent. Cunningham withdrew an application to renew his licence on June 3. A verdict in the case could come as early as Friday.

Einstein, runner-up to Curlin in the Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs last Saturday, was not allowed to run in the Manhattan Handicap at Belmont Park on Belmont Stakes day because Cunningham is a part-owner of the horse.

Asmussen has also mentioned the Grade 3 Arlington Handicap in Illinois on July 12 - also on turf - as a possibility for Curlin's next start.

Curlin holds an entry in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in October and the turf run next month was to be a major part of the decision in whether to make the trip to France.

Any track, any race will do, just get him on turf and lets see how he gets on

Soldier of Fortune 7
Zarkava 7.2
New Approach 8.2
Getaway 9
Curlin 16
Duke of Marmalade 16.5
Tartan Bearer 20
Vision D`etat, Peeping Fawn, Youmzain 25

At the prices i`d be a backer of DoM and Tarten Bearer and a layer of Zarkava and New Approach.

Back