2009 Arc.

Fame and glory's form just isnt really there. He was exposed today, although ground was probably all wrong.

Fair point about Dancing Brave but always that slight problem that DB did win a superb arc whereas this years was bog standard perhaps

If only.........! He would be awesome next year, but could only repeat himself.
I hope he doesn;t come back just in case anything happened to him, as it is he will always be a LEGEND - it would be tragic to spoil it in a way.

I think Jim's had a lot of champagne which accounts for the commentary, he's rambling now and sounding quite addled! - in fact they've handed over to Clare

I wonder if we shall ever see a training performance to compare either?
Absolutely full marks to Oxx.
It's been a real privilege to share this season with STS and his team

meanwhile, just time to catch the end of the Grand Prix!

Last edited:
Fame and glory's form just isnt really there. He was exposed today, although ground was probably all wrong.

Fair point about Dancing Brave but always that slight problem that DB did win a superb arc whereas this years was bog standard perhaps

I'd say today's field was better than bog standard

For the second time in his last three races he won in spite of Kinane. Fame never really picked up, did he.

With Fame failing to perform, I reckon this race didn't take much winning and the hype isn't justified. He probably 'only' hit 130 today but given the trouble Kinane got him into and the fact he won with plenty to spare marks him down as much better than the bare result.

I'd say today's field was better than bog standard

Me too, it was a very good field of all the best middle distance horses i Europe!

It must be a madhouse there, the Cadran is 15 mins late - are the runners walking miles and miles round the Parade Ring I wonder :blink::lol:

I am saying it was a standard quality field for the arc. Nothing wrong with that but maybe other fields in past years have been stronger

It really doesnt matter though and in fact he probably won easier than DB

A standard Arc is a pretty high standard, of course. It should be attracting the winners of all the top 10-12f races in Europe. By that criteria, I'm not sure who was missing. Of course, being such a greedy bugger, Sea The Stars represented most of those races by himself :D

I'm reminded of New Approach's Derby there, STS pulling early doors. What a performance.

Youmzain placing has covered my F&G bet.

For the second time in his last three races he won in spite of Kinane. Fame never really picked up, did he.

With Fame failing to perform, I reckon this race didn't take much winning and the hype isn't justified. He probably 'only' hit 130 today but given the trouble Kinane got him into and the fact he won with plenty to spare marks him down as much better than the bare result.

???? Wot?? the horse was in danger of running away with Mick and losing his race - he was almost out of control he got so taked up in the 2nd furlong. If Kinane has let him go off after the pacemakers as he wanted, he would have thrown the race away surely!

Kinane took him back and settled him, he knew he had enough gears to get out of trouble (I won't say he didn't give me a fright though). did you actually listen to his comments after the race?

Here we go again - why the tall poppy syndrome . I suggest that is as good as F & G is especially on what is pretty fast ground . Youmzain is always and has always been underrated especially as he tends to underperform if the opposition isn't top class - Cavalryman is a fast improving three year old , Conduit a top class international 12f horse , Dar Re Mi a much improved multiple G1 winning filly , F & G an Irish Derby winner , Stacelita a triple G1 winner - six G1 winners followed him home .

That does not a bog standard Arc to me . What was missing ?Nothing - just a shame Zarkava wasn't kept in training ...

Was part of Fame and Glory's problem that Murtagh thought he had he might be better served to stick the boot into Sea The Stars rather than running his own race? It was ambitious at best if that was what he was at. Maybe he knew early it wasn't his day but he certainly was never going to test the theory that he might be able to outstay STS in a long slog from home.

I think Kinane outriding him on Proclamation when he boxed Murtagh in on Soviet Song and forced him to take a pull and come round in her final Sussex Stakes probably still rankles - it does it with me anyway hor hor! Maybe he thought he'd take revenge in like fashion

A standard Arc is a pretty high standard, of course. It should be attracting the winners of all the top 10-12f races in Europe. By that criteria, I'm not sure who was missing. Of course, being such a greedy bugger, Sea The Stars represented most of those races by himself :D
Jukebox Jury ;)

This is his race, it's the only one they go fast enough for him. His performances the last three years are more laudable than that of a lot of the winners of the race.

But they didn't go too fast today. They let the pacemakers blast away and ignored them. In behind they were going an ordinary pace. Conduit was prominent all the way. It may just be that autumn is the only time Youmzain can be relied upon to run his race but he's still around the 125 mark, as is Conduit and the other close finishers, and STS hasn't beaten them very far.

????

Kinane took him back and settled him, he knew he had enough gears to get out of trouble (I won't say he didn't give me a fright though). did you actually listen to his comments after the race?

Yeah, right. Like Kinane is going to say, "I made an arse of that and the horse saved me."

This is his race, it's the only one they go fast enough for him. His performances the last three years are more laudable than that of a lot of the winners of the race.

Agreed . One thing that is forgotten with Youmi is that his only G1 win was in a very fast run Grand Prix de St Cloud which he won very easily from S of F dossing close home . I thought he had not quite shone this year but he was evidently wrong in France and R Hills and he were not a match made in heaven.

I think Yeats is quite lucky Jaber would not run him in the Cups . Though lets hope Yeats rounds things off perfectly in a minute .

Maybe, it might be more his love for the track then. He ran a blinder behind Rail Link in the Niel.

I think history will record his Eclipse and Irish Champion victories as STS best races, he's a few pounds shy of his best over 12f but it would have taken a 135 animal to have beaten him today.

He's already got the ratings in the bag from Sandown and Leopardstown. Today was about the achievement rather than the absolute performance. His biggest rival today was history - the one that tells you that you can't go out and win a Group 1 every month from May and then still expect to win an Arc (let alone do it so easily).

But they didn't go too fast today. They let the pacemakers blast away and ignored them. In behind they were going an ordinary pace. Conduit was prominent all the way. It may just be that autumn is the only time Youmzain can be relied upon to run his race but he's still around the 125 mark, as is Conduit and the other close finishers, and STS hasn't beaten them very far.

For crying out loud DO he never beats horses very far - just with utter authority . Despite all the trouble he ran into he goes through that gap like a rocket , storms clear and then dosses through the last 100yds and sails past the post ears pricked .

They went a good rather than breakneck pace ( I wonder why F & G did not follow his pacemakers more closely ). I have thought it all year Fame and Glory is the Meadow Court to STS's Sea Bird - a horse that would have been a champ in a normal year and his fans just couldn't get over the fact that this is not a normal year.

I think even more than I did after the Derby that had they gone very fast that STS would have been even more impressive as he wouldn't have wasted any energy pulling.

Until the last 50 yds when he faded Vision de Etat made it 8 G1 winners in line behind him

His biggest rival today was history - the one that tells you that you can't go out and win a Group 1 every month from May and then still expect to win an Arc (let alone do it so easily).

Spot on. I was against him all the way but of course Dancing Brave ran in the fecking Craven. But obviously it takes a 140 kind of animal to pull it off.

Back