2009 Older Horses

Nice run today from Osterhase aged 10!
Glad he didn't make 2nd tho or he'd have shot the FCT LOL

Nice run too from Caracciola, wonder if it was his last or whether he'll go for another Ces?

Only five entered up in the Jockey Club stakes on Sunday. Casual Conquest, Spanish Moon,All The Aces,Bronze Cannon and Drill Sergeant.

Unless the three year olds turn up in the King George it could be a very weak renewal just looking around at the older middle distance horses this year.

Unless the three year olds turn up in the King George it could be a very weak renewal just looking around at the older middle distance horses this year.

I really hope so, reversing the trend seen in the last few years - no 3yo since 2005 and no 3yo colt since 2004 (Tycoon)

Would be surprised to see Casual Conquest line up at Newmarket this weekend.

From sportinglife.com:

Connections of Casual Conquest are looking forward to seeing the four-year-old make his seasonal reappearance in the stanjames.com Jockey Club Stakes at Newmarket on Saturday.

A hugely impressive victory in the Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial at Leopardstown a year ago ensured the Moyglare Stud-owned colt was sent off favourite for the big one at Epsom, where he ran a creditable race to finish third.

He ran another blinder to fill the runner-up spot in the Irish Derby next time but as he has not been seen in racecourse action since, the owner's racing manager Stan Cosgrave believes he will improve for the run this weekend.

"He's going to go but this will be his first run in a long time," said Cosgrave.

"We gave him a break after the Irish Derby last year as he was immature and we think he has matured.

"He could be a little bit ring-rusty as they say but I still think he'll run a good race."

Casual Conquest is one of just five entries for the Group Two heat with Sir Michael Stoute's Dubai Sheema Classic runner-up Spanish Moon likely to put up most resistance.

All The Aces, Bronze Cannon and Drill Sergeant are the other possibles at the confirmation stage.

Just as I thought... :whistle:

Surprised he is starting over a mile and a half though.

Only five entered up in the Jockey Club stakes on Sunday. Casual Conquest, Spanish Moon,All The Aces,Bronze Cannon and Drill Sergeant.

An outrageous slander on Youmzain !:p

I really hope so, reversing the trend seen in the last few years - no 3yo since 2005 and no 3yo colt since 2004 (Tycoon)

I have a theory about this one. The winners list shows a marked change from '96 onwards - coinciding with the change in policy of the main breeder/owners on keeping top class 3yo's in training as 4yo's.

In the years immediately prior to this sea-change in policy, the most recent 4yo+ horses to win were Mtoto and Opera House, neither of which did particularly fantastic at 3.

In addition, you have the increasing prestige of the Arc De Triomphe, drawing more owners to aim their best 3yo's at this race, with the resulting, and almost compulsory summer break, reducing the likelihood of a top class 3yo partaking of the KGVIQEDS. It is possible that the draw of the Irish Derby is also having a similar effect.

So you have a race which is harder to win due to the increased volume of top class 4yo+ horses (so no point entering a slightly below top class 3yo) and a reduction in top class 3yo's being aimed at the race in favour of the Arc/Irish Derby.

Result: The race might as well become a 4yo+ race, unless some owners reallise that not everyone can win the Arc and keep their Derby horses going through the summer and give them their break in the autumn.

Back