3000 Not Out

From a personal punting point of view, pity he couldn't have done it a race earlier...:o

What a man! What an achievement!

Great achievement...

Sick of hearing about the build up to it though as if he was running out of time or something.

Agree with Gal & Dims.

Someone ought to tell Sky News that Dickie Johnson is second in the all time list at a respectful distance.

Shame he couldn't have done it in November - the 300 odd I had a few quid on at for him to win SPOTY back in the summer might have looked a bit better!

He could have ridden 3000 in a year and still wouldn't be considered for SPOTY.

Anyway you can't be greedy,you've had your big win from that competition!!

I'm not convinced there isn't an under current of PC governing the BBC's failure to recognise jumps racing, but in truth haing forked out for the F1 coverage, and cut back on racing a McCoy win would be the last type of thing they'd encourage and seek to promote by planting the idea arund October time. My best guess is that he'd be a more likely winner of a 'lifetime achievement award' although in recent years they've been tending to give these out to genuinely older people as opposed to the likes of Ian Botham who won it in his 40's

Superb achievement.

As Lydia Hislop mused, it would happen on the day Chelsea sack their manager!

It was entertaining stuff at Plumpton. Getting down to do the weight on Miss Sarenne only for her to buckle on landing with the race at her mercy!

Well done AP but I thought Timmy gave his mount a very easy ride on the run in for the 3000 race,I'd no bet but I would not have been impressed if I'd backed it.

Superb achievement.

As Lydia Hislop mused, it would happen on the day Chelsea sack their manager!

It was entertaining stuff at Plumpton. Getting down to do the weight on Miss Sarenne only for her to buckle on landing with the race at her mercy!

it's quite hard to do something on a day when they don't though ;)

I'm not convinced there isn't an under current of PC governing the BBC's failure to recognise jumps racing, but in truth haing forked out for the F1 coverage, and cut back on racing a McCoy win would be the last type of thing they'd encourage and seek to promote by planting the idea arund October time. My best guess is that he'd be a more likely winner of a 'lifetime achievement award' although in recent years they've been tending to give these out to genuinely older people as opposed to the likes of Ian Botham who won it in his 40's

Does anyone really give a fuck about the BBC and it`s strange ways anymore.

Glad it's over. Been done to death in the Racing Post. For all his winners the only horses he will be associated with in 20 years time are Gloria Victis and Valiramix.

That's a bit harsh Gearoid! - and I say that although I've been very critical of AP in the past, and I'd still like to see him 'leave them be' a bit more, as with the faller today at the last (how many times have we seen that?!).

It's an absolutely superb achievement and will never imo be bettered numerically. Full markis to AP - BUT...
... but to call him the greatest jump jockey of all time is to one of my age a bit contentious (to put it at its mildest).

Fred Winter was a greater jockey, by quite some way. And he won all his many Championships without ever hitting a horse. He carried a whip - and twirled it - but he never whipped them and was totally against the use of the stick, as a trainer too.

It's no accident that even at this distance in time, Fred's ride on Mandarin to win the Grand Steeplechase de Paris was recently voted the greatest ride ever.

I'm not noting this to do down AP, but credit belongs where it's due.

He's certainly the greatest riding now, agreed. Ditto the fantastic achievement

But there have been younger people esp in the media and also in eg lettes and emails to the RP suggesting just that, and I have to confess it does rile me a bit on FW's behalf!

Back