8 weeks ago yesterday......

LUKE

Senior Jockey
.....I blacked out while driving with my 13 year old son as a front seat passenger.Luckily the 2of us walked away without a scratch.Mathematically I would love to know the chances of surviving that on a busy stretch of road.
I was taken to Cork University Hospital on a spinal board in the back of a ambulance.While there one of the nurses insisted I went for a scan which revealed what turned out to be a lesion on the brain close to the optical nerve.To cut a long story short they gave me tablets to shrink the lesion which were too successful and resulted in me leaking a serious amount of spinal fluid.I ended up back in the hospital on the Friday of Royal Ascot where I had the ridiculous situation of being stressed out by not getting my money on Shaquille despite having a neurosurgeon talking to me about the very real danger of meningitis.
was operated on 6days later and discharged 4days after that.I survived 23 hours at home and I was taken back to hospital and given a lumbar drain at 5in the morning -there is a place called hell.

Another 10days in hospital was followed by 3 days at home and another emergency dash to Cork.Two weeks ago today they repeated the original operation which has hopefully been a success.
Anyway I've seen a lot over the last 8weeks and survived 10MRMI SCANS including. One where I was climbing the walls with anxiety due to steroids .
I Haven't had a bet since the accident happened and if anything it has made me aware how lucky we are to just live normal life.
Count your blessings.

Wow Luke. So glad to hear you survived all that. I would bet big on something, have to have a rub of luck somewhere else. Hope all good going forward. x

Simmo -I honestly think I am the luckiest man alive.Apart from the two of us walking away without a scratch -8 weeks from diagnosis to resolution of a brain problem isn't bad.
If the accident had happened closer to home there is no neurology department in the local hospital and I would probably still be waiting for a diagnosis.
Haven't backed a horse in that time but I have enjoyed the terrestrial coverage that I've seen.

Don’t know whether to feel sorry or glad, Luke. Sorry you had to go through it all, glad that you are out the other side. On reflection, glad has it by a distance :)

Gosh sorry to hear what a rough time you’ve had but a blessing that a) you’re in one piece and b) they know why it happened
Hope your full recovery is speedy now and you’re back backing those winners before long.

Echo the above comments, Luke, especially jinnyj's.

Take it easy and focus on getting yourself back to full health.

Sorry to hear this Luke, sounds awful.

I had several MRI scans in the 3 months that I was in University College London Hospital from April to July 2020. Very scary things to have when you go into a room with a door about 12" thick and all the staff leg it, leaving you with just the CCTV link. I have no idea how long they lasted but seemed a long time and it was very frightening.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your treatment and also with any future betting.

Sorry to hear that Luke but let's hope that's the end of your bad luck.
Good luck going forward.

Walworth -as I said I did 10 MRI scans including one where I was climbing the walls with anxiety due to steroids.I know the scans lasted up to 48 minutes.
My advice for anyone who has to go for a scan especially a head scan is be prepared mentally -go to your happy happy place and be prepared to stay there for an hour if necessary.I have some powerful memories of a great day I spent with my son and his friends a few years ago -I relived that day ten times.

Holy sh!t Luke, thats a story and a half. Grab your second life and shake it. Super that your lad is okay too.

I'm up and down to Waterford regularly as you know, maybe a coffee sometime?

Colm

Walworth -as I said I did 10 MRI scans including one where I was climbing the walls with anxiety due to steroids.I know the scans lasted up to 48 minutes.
My advice for anyone who has to go for a scan especially a head scan is be prepared mentally -go to your happy happy place and be prepared to stay there for an hour if necessary.I have some powerful memories of a great day I spent with my son and his friends a few years ago -I relived that day ten times.

I had a full body scan some years ago at the John Radcliffe in Oxford. Before I went in they told me to choose some music as I was likely to be in there a while but as I was a bit anxious I said oh you choose for me, it will be fine I’m sure.......they chose cheesy 80s music as I guess they thought because of my age I was a teenager then. I loathed the entire CD the played! “Wake me up before you Go-Go” is really NOT my idea of relaxation!

Holy sh!t Luke, thats a story and a half. Grab your second life and shake it. Super that your lad is okay too.

I'm up and down to Waterford regularly as you know, maybe a coffee sometime?

Colm

After the crash my lad took control of the situation and dealt with the medics and police-the family joke is that he laid out traffic cones and redirected traffic.For the next 7 hours it was never once about him.When my wife appeared after several hours he said to me -just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.Top man.
AC -I am effectively housebound for August but September is Good for me -could meet you anywhere in Dunmore East,Waterford City or Tramore -would be delighted to share caffeine with you.

Sounds like you have a very close relationship with your lad, Luke. Something to be treasured, for sure.

Was going to drop you a line on PM, but appears your inbox is full. Anyway, hope your recuperation goes well.

Thanks Chaumi -I must clear the inbox.Nothing in this world has brought me more happiness than my relationship with my son-my life has revolved around him for the last 8 or 9years. Having said that the teenage years are guaranteed to change the dynamic.

Having said that the teenage years are guaranteed to change the dynamic.

Hopefully yours won't change much, and I guess it's even possible that recent events have strengthened the bond.

Mine is 16, and I get a combination (at best) of:

Dad, can you give me a lift to xyz
Dad, can you make my breakfast
Dad, what's for tea
Dad, have you been shopping yet

But none of that is unusual, I think

Good luck Luke

I had to have a growth removed from my brain at 24 after a seizure before there was keyhole surgery, so I'm left with the giant scar but no post effects.

I do remember a recovery with lots of medication but not any trauma

Luckily, no ill effects since then.

I wish you well on your recovery now

Hopefully yours won't change much, and I guess it's even possible that recent events have strengthened the bond.

Dad, what's for tea

chaumi mine are both in their 30's & I can assure you that your list will be added to considerably, including (but not confined to) Dad, your grandkids would like you to.........:lol:

Last edited:
Good luck Luke

I had to have a growth removed from my brain at 24 after a seizure before there was keyhole surgery, so I'm left with the giant scar but no post effects.

I do remember a recovery with lots of medication but not any trauma

Luckily, no ill effects since then.

I wish you well on your recovery now

Wow -24 is so young -did you get it done in Dublin or Cork.My surgery wasn't keyhole they sent a robot through the nose.I was actually talking to a guy last week who had live brain surgery -you are awake but anaesthetised while they work on your brain.Is't it like something from science fiction.
How long did it take you to recover Granger.

Dad, what's for tea

I hear you -it will take a lot of skill and diplomacy to negotiate the next 5 years.I have one big thing in my favour -his friends are Good guys from good families.

I hear you -it will take a lot of skill and diplomacy to negotiate the next 5 years.I have one big thing in my favour -his friends are Good guys from good families.

That is a huge, huge plus.

My daughter was the same and her closest friends through her late teens were via the cream of her school friends and Irish dancing pals. I can't recall her EVER giving me any backchat (but she probably knew the kind of response she'd get from me), or even rolling her eyes at me.

She's turned out better than OK as a person. I'd be pretty sure your lad will too.

Wow -24 is so young -did you get it done in Dublin or Cork.My surgery wasn't keyhole they sent a robot through the nose.I was actually talking to a guy last week who had live brain surgery -you are awake but anaesthetised while they work on your brain.Is't it like something from science fiction.
How long did it take you to recover Granger.

Beaumont by a Dr Ravaluk.

I recovered pretty quickly, hospital for 3 weeks, 45 staples which needed to come out which were painful but no actual side effects.

I was walking within a week outside but was not cleared for work for 6 months, I coukd of returned earlier but checkup was 6 months.

I had to take 5 to 6 tablets for few months but actual recovery was no real drama. I was running, walking and playing golf within 8 weeks.

Nutrition advances are also huge since I was 24,so your full recovery should be pretty quick I think

If I can be of help, please mail me

That is a huge, huge plus.

My daughter was the same and her closest friends through her late teens were via the cream of her school friends and Irish dancing pals. I can't recall her EVER giving me any backchat (but she probably knew the kind of response she'd get from me), or even rolling her eyes at me.

She's turned out better than OK as a person. I'd be pretty sure your lad will too.

More or less the same -my son and his friends are into sport in a big way-I always think that is a massive help.

.....I blacked out while driving with my 13 year old son as a front seat passenger.Luckily the 2of us walked away without a scratch.Mathematically I would love to know the chances of surviving that on a busy stretch of road.
I was taken to Cork University Hospital on a spinal board in the back of a ambulance.While there one of the nurses insisted I went for a scan which revealed what turned out to be a lesion on the brain close to the optical nerve.To cut a long story short they gave me tablets to shrink the lesion which were too successful and resulted in me leaking a serious amount of spinal fluid.I ended up back in the hospital on the Friday of Royal Ascot where I had the ridiculous situation of being stressed out by not getting my money on Shaquille despite having a neurosurgeon talking to me about the very real danger of meningitis.
was operated on 6days later and discharged 4days after that.I survived 23 hours at home and I was taken back to hospital and given a lumbar drain at 5in the morning -there is a place called hell.

Another 10days in hospital was followed by 3 days at home and another emergency dash to Cork.Two weeks ago today they repeated the original operation which has hopefully been a success.
Anyway I've seen a lot over the last 8weeks and survived 10MRMI SCANS including. One where I was climbing the walls with anxiety due to steroids .
I Haven't had a bet since the accident happened and if anything it has made me aware how lucky we are to just live normal life.
Count your blessings.

Christ, Luke. Sorry to hear you had to go through all this.

Back