A Change To The Schedule

Warbler

At the Start
There is no better sight in jump racing than 2 mile chasers going flat out and attacking their fences at speed? Fact?

Now that the Victor Chandler has been re-classified a grade 1, is it not the case that the calenders premier 2 mile handicap chase is the Grand Annual? For years this race seems to have been lost, tucked away where it is on the schedule, even though represents a quality in its own right. Now I realise that money is more important than racing, and sponsors need a television profile etc but can we not do something that ensures that this race features on mainstream Channel 4 as it must be a better advertisement for this division being the standard bearer that it now is in the absence of the Ascot feature.

Since moving to four days, it has long been lamented that Thursday is the weakest day, with the stayers hurdle not really being able to under write the card to the same extent as the feature races of the other days. Thursday also features three 2 and half mile chases as it is. Once sponsors could be appeased, or sought, surely they could be switched around, or even this phoney grade 1 staying hurdle for novices on the Friday relegated to its rightful place on the under card, and allow the true spectacle of jumping to take its place?

Warbler

I think the Cheltenham board are discussing rescheduling the Festival races today. Something to do with an earlier start to racing and putting the feature race of the day on at a point in the card later than the third race, and letting staff and racegoers get home before it gets dark.

The Grand Annual deserves a much higher profile, it's always a hot race, but I doubt if giving this race greater prominence has come under discussion.

If Edward and Co are so open to suggestion as they have always claimed to be, maybe we should start bombarding them with e-mails!

You make a good case, Warbler.

I would also prefer an earlier start, as would the millions who have to work but would gladly catch a race or two during their lunch break.

I agree with the sentiments reagrding the Grand annual but not in favour of an earlier start at all....bad idea

Especially if you are travelling down on the day.

It is not just the Cheltenham schedule that needs a shake up, it is the whole National Hunt calendar. It is currently spreading its own mediocre product far too thinly to the damage of itself.

Three simple changes would benefit NH no end:

hold back the start of the season until after after attention has switched from the breeders cup.

Pull in the straggling races at the end of the season (Aintree, Punchestown etc.) and have everything wrapped up by mid-March.

Abolition of summer jumping.

These changes will help both the dedicated and casual fans alike enjoy the sport over a full, concentrated and exciting period.

Id agree with the whole NH season being better structured. I wouldnt do away with summer jumping, some horses thrive on it and wouldnt win a race without it. but maybe less of it, say evening meetings when people are off work and are more available to go racing. If it was restricted to Saturdays, and maybe 2-3 evenings a week, then i think it would be better quality, and better attended. Have it marketed better, geared towards familys. I often attend Kilbeggan here in Ireland, and this always is well attended, with entertainment, good enough racing, and has been held on Friday and Saturday evenings, with entertainment afterwards etc. A really good feel to the whole thing. I think a lot of courses could look at this, rather than running a NH card on a Monday in July, with only a few people attending.

I also think that when it comes to this time of the year, there are too many big races, which dilutes the quality of them. Cheltenhams proximity to Fairyhouse is often a problem, as is Aintree and Punchestown. Hard to plan i know, but anyone have any solutions to these? I cant see many cheltenham horses running in Fairyhouse this week. The Irish National has been sort of lost i feel as a spectacle.

Would agree about the Grand Annual as well. To be honest, id be fully in favour of keeping all the current races, and splitting it into 3 days. This year i felt it was fantastic stuff!!

Back