A Gambling Sabatical

del boy

Senior Jockey
After a shocking shocking shocking run of luck, I have decided i need a gambling sabatical. How long, i dont know....i sort of have it in my head that King George day is a nice target....

This is a result of an unbelievable run of bad results, there was a stage there of 20 bets, 12 win bets being second, 8 each way bets finishing on position outside the places. Id imagine the odds on that happening are massive ironically....Thats just the horses. The football continues to break my heart, one team letting down accumulator bets. Even the golf has turned sour.

The 2yo i have a share in has been put away for the year, so the temptation to back it will not be there. However, a few friends have horses, and they will be running and i will no doubt be informed of their chances, one of which is supposedly on its way back into good form....

The purpose of this thread is to chart my success/failure... I may post bets that have tempted me or word that i have had, but bar bets i have running, (basically a lump on Martin Kaymer for the Race to Dubai), i will not be staking a wager until St Stephens Day.

God help me, i have zero will power. Im a sucker for info, or backing against Gearoids hunches...

Last edited:
Well I'm guilty as charged as my last bet was 2 1/2 years ago.

Not even the Grand National or Cheltenham has tempted me back.

Good Luck Del - you'll be in better form when you return i'm sure :)

Plenty of laying being done though Arkwright (from what I've been told) ;)

Last edited:
Strangely enough I was going to start a similar thread -if I get half an hour today or tomorrow I might post my thoughts.

I know a run of seconditis feels worse but surely a losing streak where everything you back is finishing nowhere is more a sign you should cut back.

Fair poin Euro. A break is fine but I do not subscribe to luck in gambling. Some bets win and some lose. It is how you take a losing run defines you. I lost my biggest horse bet in a long time on Dunboyne Express two weeks ago. I have quietened down since not really getting involved. If I see an oppurtunity too good to miss I will be on. I have actually been keeping a closer eye on the form since and I am hungry for as much information as possible. If you take a break does that mean you stop watching racing? Do you stop looking at the paper?

Nebula Storm drove me to a similar point today and I had intended backing Mikey's mount in the bumper at cork with the winnings :mad:

So I might join you too, although I find it much more difficult to make money over jumps than on the flat, despite my love of the former and hatred of the latter!!

Another good man down. Oh dear God what is going on. Can you boys not hack backing a loser?

For me taking a break would be the worst thing ever. What if something you know you'd have backed wins? Missing out on a winner is far, far worse than any loser.

Exactly. The clocks have gone back and you have long winter nights to pour over the following days cards. We have the Haldon Gold Cup, the Champion Chase in Down Royal, the Paddy Power, the Greatwood hurdle not to mention good things in handicaps carrying a mandatory pentalty and novice chasers going off odds against with a stone in hand on hurdle form. Why would anyone find this time of year to take a break. If you cant punt at this time of year and emjoy it than walk away for good.

Here we go -laptop out -generous drink poured.
My story starts last Breeders Cup night at around 7 o clock-I'm getting ready to go out the door to get the Saturday night takeaway when a last second glance at my betfair screen reveals someone is looking to have a few quid on the Henry de Bromhead trained McDonagh ridden Withnail at Dundalk.I instantly decide this is significant and back him each way on the tote and win and place on betfair.I average better then 40/1 and he hits the front so late my lay off trades aren't matched.I follow up with a place lay of Mastercraftsman (luckiest bet of alltime) and before I know it the winning bets are gushing.This continues well beyond Cheltenham,confidence is sky high and the bankroll is well able to withstand a serious hit.
My game plan is based on a high turnover with relatively low profit margin -betting mainly on betfair. I hit a high of over 40,000 commission points on betfair(trying to sustain it is like a fulltime job).Late night American racing on a Friday and Saturday night is a speciality.
When things are oing well I do the sensible thing -look after various jobs that need doing around the house,generous Christmas presents,put something aside for daughters education and make a fairly decent investment in Irish Stock Exchange-all the time making sure I have enough to survive a couple of bad weeks.
Of course there were bad days -Irish 2000 Guineas Day stands out-possibly the nicest day of the year but I lost so much I had to go to bed at 430 in the afternoon.I have also learned to avoid all weather maidens.
Anyway -last week I was into Week 50 and from Tuesday to Friday I had some very sensible bets -not big bets but ones that were sensible and nicely profitable.I have always been a believer that as a gambler the day will arrive that can wipe you out-for whatever reason you might be unlucky,tired or just destined to lose.That day for me was last Saturday.In the space of half an hour I had done in a months wages laying Clowance for a place and Araucaria.I had the resources to soak up the pain but my blood was up and I chased like mad.All I can say is the resources are now shattered and my confidence is non existent.Still going to Cheltenham for the Open meeting but instead of going allout it will be very defensive.

You had some run though and got carried out on your shield. The problem I can see for you is that you will miss being in the game. High turnover low margin is very much my aim and I find it hard to sit out.

I'm going the opposite way, Luke - I'm convinced the only way to make it pay is to narrow the scope and specialize (currently concentrating on low-level Irish 7f-12f handicaps). I'm convinced if you can know horses running at that sort of level as well as we know the likes of Rip Van Winkle and Workforce etc. there must be an edge to be had.

As far as I can see the only way of making the high turnover approach pay is either playing in-running (with the aid of SIS/TurfTV or on-track) or having such a thorough knowledge of the formbook/figures that it virtually has to be a full-time occupation.

In my mind gambling is like heavyweight boxing -the knockout punch is the one you don't see coming.All week I am asking myself -wtf-I just cant figure it out.About 10 days ago I was congratulating myself for surviving the flat season and looking forward to the most exciting time of year.

Back