A jumps thread...just to keep us going

harry

At the Start
Which ONE race do you enjoy each year the most?

After many years of loving all big races I think I enjoy the Stayers hurdle at Cheltenham the most. It has consistently provided my best races
Iris' Gift, Baracouda, Drever and even Big Bucks to go along Rustle, Limestone Lad etc etc as fabulous warriors to savour.

from my days growing up watching Istabraq, the champion hurdle still is my favourite race of the jumps calendar!! I reckon Ive watched the champion hurdle from the 15th March 2005 about 150 times.

The undoubted highlight of last year's NH season for me was the Talking Horses winningwaysracing.ie (Pro/Am) INH Flat Race staged at Navan on the 24th of January.

Rather ironic given the winner was a bit of a talking horse who subsequently failed to get back to winning ways I suppose, but still...

Corny, but it's the Grand National. It's the summation of what's best about National Hunt - stamina, supreme athleticism, courage, and determination. And that's just the jocks!

Hard to choose one race in particular but the top 2 mile chases are a fav of mine. Moscow Flyer's time stands out in particular to me.

I agree with Bloonok on this one, though perhaps very strangely I'd probably regard the Arkle as my favourite!!! The Champion Chase has undoubtedly been the best to me over the years in terms of strike rate, and off-hand, going back to 1998 I can only think I've lost it to Newmill, (can't remember what I backed right now) Flaghsip (to Edredon), Tamarinbleu (to Masteminded), but it's rarely been a get rich race with most of the winners being reasonably obvious and reflected in their prices. By contrast until the last 2 years the Arkle was a veritbale graveyard for me and definately my 'bogey race', but some how I always got more excited by the novice race. Sandown in early December is probably the single days card i look forward most, with the Henry VIII and Tingle Creek featuring

Has to be the Champion Hurdle . The last bet my dad ever did was an anti-post ew on Harchibald , yes that famous year when he didn't get his head in front . My dad died on the same day as the Northern Bank Robbery but we had had an anti post on Harchibald £50 him £50 me EW . God love him cause I got my stake back but if he's up there I'm sure he would appreciate it

The undoubted highlight of last year's NH season for me was the Talking Horses winningwaysracing.ie (Pro/Am) INH Flat Race staged at Navan on the 24th of January.

Rather ironic given the winner was a bit of a talking horse who subsequently failed to get back to winning ways I suppose, but still...

I was amazed as well that the form of what was clearly the outstanding bumper of the season did not work out too well subsequently. Perhaps that will all change, though, when the second horse, Medical Card, next sees a racecourse?

Back