A Late April Fools?

I suspect that with every loud "bam!" in the overture, there'd be a head being struck off the block in pleasing rhythm, with a virtually endless supply of bankers, stockbrokers, bond managers, investment 'experts', mortgage lenders, brokers, bailiffs and estate agents forming an orderly queue for their turn to come. In fact, come the revolution, brothers and sisters, I hope that instead of dreary Family Fun Days with stilt-walkers and face-painting, race days can be turned into really giving the public the spectacle they want! Don't know why the BHA shelled out a quarter-mill to find that out - public executions and a little light torturing would do the trick.

"Roll up, roll up - have a jump on the Bouncy Banker! Try your hand on the firing range - plenty of repossession agents to choose from! Have a 5-a-side with a stockbroker's head! Endless fun for all the family!"

You've forgotten Amy Starkey in your list, Krizon! I can just see you merrily knitting away (in time to the music) while the heads roll.

Last edited:
By Lee Mottershead7.03PM 2 JUL 2009

Kempton boss Amy Starkey, whoplans to site the orchestra on the jumps track, said yesterday: "The race is bringing a new audience into racing.
"Sky News will be here and broadcasting the race live and we've also had the race talked about on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and Have I Got News For You. When is the last time a positive racing story went out via those channels?"

The only thing Ross talks about in a positive manner is himself, and HIGNFY not renowned for taking anything seriously or in a positive manner or heaping praise on anything either. Has Ms Starkey been out of the hemisphere for some time or something?

Redhead - why, I'm a founder member of the Madame La Farge Institute of Advanced Knitting - how did you know that?!

More rubbish for the chip paper, the question would be, what music for what race horses, jock etc. Will it be stated before declarations which music is to be played as horses work on tempo and beats whatever it's breed, size, discipline etc. On this basis it could be a little bit of a grey area, as some races and times could be affected from a bookmakers/trainers and the horses point of view for that matter.

I suppose Camptown Races is a bit desperate for any sort of crowd to attend, though - anything to bring the gate take into double figures!

Kempton Musical Now

Can't find the thread about when Kempton arranged to play music whilst horses were running but the day has come and its happening in the 7.20!

Lets see how this fairs

Redhead - why, I'm a founder member of the Madame La Farge Institute of Advanced Knitting - how did you know that?!

It's the red hair, Krizon!

Would I be right in thinking that Shadow Leader was your best apprentice? :p

Well, what a load of bollocks that was. The entire evening was like some kind of surreal circus with noise EVERYWHERE. For the first hour before racing everyone was treated to a troop of haggis munchers - complete with kilts and silly hats - strangling their cats at top volume; so loud that even shouting at each other you couldn't hear each other.

However I have a newfound respect for Ryan Moore who, allegedly, was seen and heard going up to Amy Starkey after the race saying "Don't fucking do that again". Fair play to him for saying what everyone else was thinking! Allegedly he was saying that the horses were flicking their ears about all down the straight, not quite sure what they were doing.

It was a complete charade and Kempton made a great success of turning the place into one big bloody circus. The over-riding theme of the evening was NOISE, NOISE, NOISE, NOISE AND SOME MORE NOISE!!!!!

However I have a newfound respect for Ryan Moore who, allegedly, was seen and heard going up to Amy Starkey after the race saying "Don't fucking do that again"

We need verification of this :lol:

Sounds horrendous.

Start marketing the sport as something exciting in itself, then you don't need all the stupid stunts like this.

Good job you spelt 'stunts' correctly there Redhead - could have so easily turned into a shorter word.

a la Kenny Everett?

Must admit the fingers had to be carefully watched whilst typing because I was thinking of his character!

All done in the best possible taste, of course. :D

Last edited:
I suspect that with every loud "bam!" in the overture, there'd be a head being struck off the block in pleasing rhythm, with a virtually endless supply of bankers, stockbrokers, bond managers, investment 'experts', mortgage lenders, brokers, bailiffs and estate agents forming an orderly queue for their turn to come.

Icon_eek.gif

A pleasing post imo Kri.

Best bit of PR in Ryan Moore's favour ever I think. I'd root for him as champion jockey off the back of that alone.

Back