A Treasury of old racing films

Super, EC1! I keep telling young, new staff at the course that crowds really did line both sides of the straight, but I'm sure they think I'm ga-ga. Where the big stands end and there are two more smaller sets, is now the Wyevale Garden Centre, but the parade ring and the (now) Premier Bar through the big glass doors opposite it are just as they were. The numbers boards have gone, and the bookies are squinched into just one area at the end of the main stands. Some great scenes of the famous Lanes, still full of antiques, bric-a-brac and jewellers. Most of it's just the same!

Super, EC1! I keep telling young, new staff at the course that crowds really did line both sides of the straight, but I'm sure they think I'm ga-ga. Where the big stands end and there are two more smaller sets, is now the Wyevale Garden Centre, but the parade ring and the (now) Premier Bar through the big glass doors opposite it are just as they were. The numbers boards have gone, and the bookies are squinched into just one area at the end of the main stands. Some great scenes of the famous Lanes, still full of antiques, bric-a-brac and jewellers. Most of it's just the same!

i thought someone familiar with the course would find it interesting

there is some fantastic stuff on the site isn't there?..not just racing obviously

It is terrific - just watched the first running of the King George in 1951 when 100,000 packed in !

Sent the link on the course, EC1 and they love it! Fascinating stuff - not least the magnificent sideburns on the young men of the time. It brought back memories of my bloke of the time with his cheekpieces, and my own hipster trousers in - ahem! - sea-green crushed velvet, worn with white patent belt and matching high boots - oh, yessss! ;)

I spotted my grandparents in a clip from the Punchestown festival of 1927 thanks to a photo of them in the family album wearing the same outfits.

Sent the link on the course, EC1 and they love it! Fascinating stuff - not least the magnificent sideburns on the young men of the time. It brought back memories of my bloke of the time with his cheekpieces, and my own hipster trousers in - ahem! - sea-green crushed velvet, worn with white patent belt and matching high boots - oh, yessss! ;)

the fashions were bad - remember loon pants?

plenty of mutton chops around in the 70's like you say

glad they enjoyed it

i could spend hours on this site - really good

The disgrace in that Brighton clip is the pier - repairable at that stage, but allowed by successive LABOUR Councils to rot away, bits falling off into the sea, then a fire a few years ago, until all that's left now is some skeletal metal framework, still holding on grimly as the evening roost of thousands of starlings.

IS, re the pier: well, about 10 years ago, St Modwen (aka Sir Stan Clarke/Northern Racing) Construction had a blueprint to redevelop it, pretty much rubberstamped by the Council. But they also had planned to build up some stuff around it which would've wrecked the sea views of the Regency flats opposite, and changed the look of the front totally. There were petitions and very strong opposition to the plan, and St Modwen seemed to lose interest. Since when it's just been vandalised by yobs and thrashed by gales, and fallen apart to where it just looks like scrap.

Back