A Visit to see Sea The Stars

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Home late last night from our biannual Irish racing trip to race meetings, trainer yards, dinners with various racing people etc. Still sorting the hundreds of photos from the week at Fairyhouse, Thurles, Down Royal and Navan but for a start here's some of our visit to The Aga Khan's Gilltown Stud and a chance to see Sea The Stars and one or two others. Whilst we were allowed to take photos of the horses we were strictly forbidden to take photos of the grounds or the buildings which was a shame as there were some superb statues of horses like Shergar, Sinndar etc as well as an unbelievable trophy cabinet in the reception area containing most of the trophies won by the Aga Khan in recent years.

We'll start with various shots of Sea The Stars who was an absolute gentleman completely unphased by our presence. His “duties” at the stud start on February 15th.

DSCF0743.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0750.jpg

DSCF0752.jpg

SeaTheStars.jpg

Next to be presented was Dalakhani

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0757.jpg

Finally we were introduced to Azamour after which it was full speed ahead to the delights of Thurles.

DSCF0764.jpg

Great stuff DG! Has Dalakhani gone that white or is it just the way the light is catching him?

Whilst we were allowed to take photos of the horses we were strictly forbidden to take photos of the grounds or the buildings which was a shame as there were some superb statues of horses like Shergar, Sinndar etc as well as an unbelievable trophy cabinet in the reception area containing most of the trophies won by the Aga Khan in recent years.

That's a shame, but I guess they have good reason to be particularly security-conscious.

Cheers DG....I was lucky enough to go see Sea The Stars in Oxx's before he left and as you say he acts as if you are not there. A true gentleman of a horse. Have a couple of pics I will try to put up later.

Thanks for that. Great to see some pics of him outside of racing. He's a smashing looking horse and obviously still looking very athletic.

Great stuff DG! Has Dalakhani gone that white or is it just the way the light is catching him?

I was thinking the same and wondering whether I was remembering him right.

Look at the picture in my avatar (Alamshar beating Dalakhani) - you'd struggle to think he was even a grey!

?

every grey gets lighter every year. broadly speaking the coat loses its pigments, and that happens with EVERY grey, not just dessie ! thats why tesio called the colour a "disease of the coat". we once bred a horse who was a really flashy chestnut as a foal, and turned whiter - reddish -white at first in his case. as a 3-yo- he had red ears *lol*

Thank you for sharing these pics, they are really great :) and I enjoyed them a lot. So jealous, always wanted to go to the stud. Stars is such a stunner.

Azza-Azza-Azza - who ate all the pies? What a chubster! Lovely photos from you, as always, DG. Envy you the whole trip - sounds idyllic. STS such a kind head, so honest and open.

To be honest, if a hundred birds were brought to my house each year, I don't think I'd be that worried if I let myself go abit.

How lovely to be able to share their new lives - In the past colts went to stud and were never seen again, hopefully more studs will let photos be taken and shared in the future. Hope STS has had a good time in his paddock!

Gorgeous horses and great pictures. Both very handsome animals. I always thing STS has such an 'old' look to his eye. Wise beyond his years. Always brings out the sentimental side in me.

Yes, I think so, too, TF. If he were human, he'd be the kindly uncle with whom you could always have a good chat if you felt upset, and go home feeling much better for it.

Back