Afistfullofdollars

crazyhorse

At the Start
Im sure all eyes will be on the Noel Meade trained Afistfullofdollars and not Handfull Of Euros in the race before! But joking apart surely this is just a stepping stone for better things to come for Meades charge.Two years ago he was touted as the best in the yard and was a cert for the Sup Nov Chse at Cheltenham but injury put paid to him taking part, well they have been very patient with him and looking at his two runs to date he could well be back to himself and with the stable back in form at the same time as the ground getting better for irish standards (not hvy) and the 3miles being right up his street im sure he can take this and then go on to win his Cheltenham target The Will Hill Trophy!

This is the sort of race he is worth a small interest in. He took a long time to win a bumper despite looking sure to go in next time on a few occasions but didn't manage till the fifth attempt. He hasn't done much wrong since then but somehow I don't feel he is one to trust at a short price in an easy looking race. He could well cause a mini surprise against good opposition.

Bare form of his last run puts him right up there with the best of last season's novices (doesn't really say much mind you), though how reliable that form is is certainly open to question (beat King John's Castle and the thoroughly ungenuine Justpourit).

Having watched that race again though, I felt he was toiling just a bit between the last couple of flights, though he was well on top at the line. Not as impressed after watching the race again as I was inititally.

I would much prefer to back Vic Venturi EW today myself.

Won really nicely alright and certainly proved me wrong. Wonder where he'll go next. Guinness Gold Cup at Punchestown perhaps?

He is not entered in the Gold Cup and that win yesterday surely rules out handicaps. Connections mentioned Aintree and then Punchestown. A fair training performance from Noel Meade to get him back so well from injury.

Well, I have to be honest (and Uncle Goober would have known anyway) - this is solely Landlarks horse, just that I was logged it.

I am only able to tip the likes of The Bajan Bandit :laughing:

I fancied Afistfullofdollars big time on Saturday-I thought it was the right type of race for him.I couldn't fancy him for Cheltenham and think Aintree and Punchestown might see him racing against opposition thats just too good for him.

Is there a supplementary stage for the Ryanair? I agree with Suny he has no chance in the Gold cup, waste of time and effort even thinking about it. He would have a realistic outside chance in the Ryanair.

I think the Ryanair might be a bit sharp for him.

They should introduce a new chase that is half way between Ryanair and Gold Cup distance.

Say a 2m7f chase.

It would fit in very nicely on the Monday of the meeting, along with a Ryanair hurdle, a 2m4f novice chase, a Grade 1 XCountry Chase and a mares only bumper.

Looks like he gets a mark of 161 for the William Hill Trophy, which seems very harsh.

Connections would be better of swerving Cheltenham, and witing for Punchestown, imo.

Originally posted by Grasshopper@Feb 28 2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like he gets a mark of 161 for the William Hill Trophy, which seems very harsh.

Connections would be better of swerving Cheltenham, and witing for Punchestown, imo.
Rated 157 in Ireland.

Me too - but not before 2009 :P
Let's make sure he is A1 again first, and not lay on the pressure too fast

But he's been off a long time hasn't he? Don't think the GN is the right race after a long layoff, for any horse [stay safe McKelvey...]. anyway 11 isn't too old to win a GN esp for a horse with not many miles on the clock. Maybe Irish GN this year, Aintree next?

DOLLARS GOING FOR GOLD
by PA Sport

Kauto Star and Denman look set to get a surprise opponent from Ireland in the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup in the shape of Afistfullofdollars.

Noel Meade has long held the 10-year-old in high regard but his career has been plagued by problems.

However, he landed his biggest success to date when winning impressively at Fairyhouse last weekend in the Bobbyjo Chase and is three from four over fences.

Meade said: "There is every possibility Afistfullofdollars will be supplemented for the Gold Cup at a cost of £22,500 (on March 8).

"We will certainly be giving it serious consideration providing everything is well with him."

Back