Aidan O'Brien

If you cut the guff out...

"For few know any more of O'Brien's philosophy than might be learnt, say, about the roots of a tree from the sigh of its branches in the wind."

...then an interesting article.

Wachman still has some growing to fill those boots though. And I doubt Coolmore will be in any great rush to gamble what they have.

Wachman very good trainer in my eyes, it will be interesting what he does with Chintz after her poor show.

Last edited:
Wachman very good trainer in my eyes, it will be interesting what he does with Chintz after her poor show.

Very disrespectful time to mention her IS given Naaqoos's showing! Just need Proportional to get chinned now to completely ruin my antepost book.

Personally I think Wachman should have stuck with National Hunt. It's interesting to read

"He talks of a time, 'maybe when I'm gone old", when he will train his own horses, not just when they are two, three and four years old, but five or six, even nine or 10'

Is Aidan aiming at rejoining the national hunt fraternity and train for JP again?? Wouldn't that be a twist!!

I don't really see the controversy, but then (tbh) I am not that interested in the Wachman part (probably because like many people I only have a casual interest in the sport, and see no point in trying to work out when Aidans going to pack it in!).

I found the article a interesting, well articualted piece in which Aidan put across some fantastic opinions in as few as words as possible. To be honest he sounded to me like a man still learning and enjoying the challenge, but with the anticipation of a new season perhaps he is getting a bit sentimental/emotional.

"I'm very relaxed. The biggest gift any of us can have is our health. The rest doesn't matter. If you want to look at the bigger picture, we're a bunch of ants running around a little dot. That's the reality of this world. We're all in our bodies to get the best out of them. Our bodies will last maybe 80 years. But then we're gone, gone somewhere else. And where we go, we can never try to understand that, because we're not supposed to. I look at people trying to see heaven or hell, but our minds aren't made to understand that."

You would have got on well with Albert, Aidan!

Last edited:
Grey
27th April 2005, 8:38 AM

...My prediction is that Aidan O'Brien will leave Coolmore. It might not be this season, but I think it will happen sooner or later. It will be a friendly enough parting, the main reason for it being that he would prefer to be his own man.
You read it here first!

People have been talking about the demise of Aidan O'Brien since he got the job, sooner or later he will leave but I believe it will be his call. O'Brien is the proverbial golden goose, Wachman is not.

Last edited:
Don't comment on these flat threads often but usually peek in. From the outside looking in, I would have thought O'Brien would have been irreplaceable at Ballydoyle

I can't see Aidan being replaced by Wachman - despite the latter being family. I just can't see it. He's not in O'Brien's league.

we never know whats around the corner. say obrien had 3 bad seasons, with no classic/group 1 wins then that would seriosuly affect the stallion operation. they then might have to ring the changes. having said that, i cant see any change of trainer at ballydoyle for atleast the next 10 years.

Back