Aintree 2010

It can be quite difficult getting accommodation in Liverpool close to April, so book now to avoid disappointment.

A couple of times I have had to stay a few miles outside Liverpool and getting a taxi at two in the morning is nearly impossible on the Friday and Saturday nights.

I find the Tatts tickets very good, as you can get a spot right in front of the chair. You are a fair bit from the line there though. The Mildmay course is very small, so you can see nearly the whole track from wherever you are. On National day I always get West Tip seats. These are a waste of money unless you plan on being hungover and you require access to a queue free bar.

The train is very handy.

My number one piece of advice is this:

Leave the course immediately as they cross the winning line in the National. The good racing is finished, and there is no point in staying around for the crush on the trains. Loads of drunken scousers everywhere. If you leave then, you will be in town in time for the bumper.

I hear liverpudlian lasses wear high heels and mini skirts to go to their local off licences/corner shops! Heard it from my female cousin who went to university there!

Forget posh hotels, if you want a really good time just get yourself in a B&B on top of a cornershop lol. If your Irish maybe you could wave the flag outside your window in the hope of persuading them your a good craic...

I went to uni there too and they fall into two catergories - the high heel wearing variety or those that go down the shops etc in their pjs!

Chester's ok to stay in - about 40 mins on train to L'pool itself then another 20 mins out to Aintree. Having worked at the course I'd recommend booking very early for anythiny better than Tatts as they do sell out very early and we even had Tatts sell out on the Saturday and people being turned away to the steeplechase enclosure which is not worth bothering with as you'll see nothing.

Aintree open their ticket hotlines in early and mid-August. The season ticket buyers get priority at the beginnning of August and the tickets for the National meeting are open to the general public a week or two later. You can purchase online or by phone. Tickets for the stands and terraces are quite reasonably priced, and only a bit dearer if you want seats - not an option you get at Cheltenham.

The Aintree website will show you ticket availability and prices for the National meeting. I booked very late a few years ago (late January) and only just managed to get tickets for the Earl of Derby Stand terrace, so recommend getting in a bit earlier.

Back