Aintree Hurdle

Guest_

At the Start
Forget the handicap run over the big fences tomorrow, this is a cracking race and the race of the meeting.

Al Eile, Catch Me, Fiveforthree, Celestial Halo, Katchit, Hardy Eustace, Solwit....a proper race with loads of the main contenders running in their ideal conditions.

It's been a fascinating meeting with lots of old favourites and many pointers for next year. I love it mostly becuase there is such variety between the types of races and the courses. Cheltenham always seems a b it 'samey' to me by comparison

This is going to be a wonderful Aintree Hurdle - it will be Hardy's last trip to the UK, no?

Think the forgotten horse in the race is Fiveforthree - like a number of Mullins horses he hasn't been seen until late this year and I think that can play to his strengths. Was an easy winner on his return and had top class form in Novice Hurdle's last season, missed the 12/1 earlier in the week but on at 9's.

Think the forgotten horse in the race is Fiveforthree - like a number of Mullins horses he hasn't been seen until late this year and I think that can play to his strengths. Was an easy winner on his return and had top class form in Novice Hurdle's last season, missed the 12/1 earlier in the week but on at 9's.

I like him too, but would like to see a bit more rain for him on a track like Aintree. Looks a blinding race in the sense that the trip looks ideal for so many.

Jered is another that interests me.

Last edited:
I'm the same granger and have gone in heavy enough (for me) each way. I just wouldn't mind a bit of rain. Although that wouldn't be the greatest of things for my other big fancy tomorrow, Kalahari King.

I might be wrong but this looks like one of the biggest fields for this race and very competetive indeed..it used to be a small field job..high quality of course but I was amazed when I just looked at how many are running.

Will try and get the inside word on AlEile and post it tomorrow lunchtime.I'd imagine after the last race today there will be no shortge of money for it.

just banged it through patternform site and on this ground AL EILE comes out clear top

Catch Me - does this one need softer ground?

Celestial Halo had one hell of a hard race at Cheltenham imo..not sure a speedy turn track like this is suitable

I'll have a few shekels on Al Eile I reckon

its really hard to fancy much else strongly tbh

I like Katchit in this. The distance might bring about a change in his fortunes and I was encouraged by his run the last time.

Race of the Day

Although as a betting prospect, it's very hard to draw definitive conclusions as we'll see how the gruelling Champion Hurdle took it out of the protagonists. If Celestial runs his race, can't see how any who ran behind him that day can reverse the form - although Jered will improve a ton for better ground

Wouldn't be shocked if those who skipped Cheltenham battle it out though...

I'm quite surprised how many of those who ran (or should that be completed) the Chamion Hurdle a few weeks earlier, fail to do the double. Osana, Detroit City, Afsoun, Hard Eustace, Rooster Booster, Brave Inca and Hors La Loiwere all fancied and turned over. Only Al Eile and Istabraq have managed it in the last 10 years, although Asian Maze fell early enough for the Champion not to have taken its toll. In the mean time the race has gone to horses like Al Eile (preping on the flat at Dundalk or Leoparstown over Xmas) and other apparent less than considered luminaires such as Ilnamar, Mister Morose, Sacundai, not sur ehow you'd categorise Barton, Rhinestone or Asain Maze, but I doubt you'd have them on anything other than the second rung? I'm inclined to think the ground has been riding softer than has been advertised, and still no one has got with 3.40 secs of standard time at a mile aggregate so far, so logic tells me that Catch Me should be the one with the benefit of 4 or 5mm over-night. He'd seem to have the sort of profile that's consistant with previosu winners being just that little below serious top drawer, but still with enough class to win a race of this nature.

Well done to Grasshopper, spot on :D
Crackign race - didn't have a bet in it, too close to call. shoudl El Aile have been ridden more aggressively? - just ran out of puff at the end

Paul Townend is a huge talent isn't he?

Back